• Show
Clear All
  • sscherin
    • Dec 2003
    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Review HF 4x36/6" Disk Sander

This is the Harbor Freight Item # 93981
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93981

It was on sale for $69 until Christmas..

Out of the box it comes with a 80 grit 4x36 belt and 6" disk..
    The finish is the typical HF green wrinkled power coating..

Pro
    The disk and belt run true. Belt tracking is easy to adjust and it's relativity noise/vibration free. The disk table does rattle a little but this can be corrected with an easy mod.
    Startup and power so far feels ok but haven't' thrown anything big at it.

The belt tension release works smootly.
    Changing the belt is quick and easy.

Cons

No Dust port

The instructions remind me of the Dust collector manual.. A waste of paper.
    It goes into detail on assembling the disk table that comes pre-assembled but ignores installing the table mounting rod

The Disk table tilts on a steel rod.. but the bore holes in the table are slightly oversize so it will rock slightly on the rod and will not stay parallel to the disk.
    This makes the Miter guide useless for any fine work and it rattles a little while the machine is running.
    The table does have dimples for drilling and tapping the rod bores.. Installing set screws would correct the noise and aliment issues.

The belt tilt is done by loosening 2 nuts on the side behind the disk.
    with the belt flat one of these nuts rotates behind the belt guard.. a little annoying but not to bad.

The supplied stamped steel end wrench is a poor fit and has spread to the point of being useless after a few uses.

Changing the disk paper requires loosening a allen key set screw to swing the table out of the way.. I'd replace the set screw with a knob or lever to make sanding disk changes quick and easy.

Overall I'd say it's an OK deal if you catch it on sale..
    I got mine for $59 (sale price $69 plus 15% off coupon)
    Otherwise I'd get the Grizzly G0547 for $98
    William's Law--
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I have one. It annoys me every time I use it. I am shopping for a replacement right now. My biggest complaint is that it's horribly under-powered.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

both the craftsman i had earlier and the Ryobi had dust collection port and they worked reasonably well partnered with a shop vac. I think it would be worth $30 more... these things can throw off a lot of fine dust.

This type of sander I think is the best first benchtop sander for most people starting out. Just get one with dust collection shield/port.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

This type of sander I think is the best first benchtop sander for most people starting out. Just get one with dust collection shield/port.
        Indeed, it's a very useful and necessary tool. It just needs more power and quality. I added an A/C duct as a collector (4" round to rectangular register).

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

This pic of the Ryobi BD4600 from the HD website you can see the black plastic dustport with the Ryobi decal going up and having a flat, full width collection point right off the top, surrounding the end of the belt as it goes over the end roller.
          Its hard to see but I think it also collects off the right side of the disk (where you do the work) just below the table. There's a split in the middle of the vacuum port (fits a 2.5" shop vac hose) the top path goes to the belt and the lower half to the disk.
          This sort of integrated dust collection port is much better than any add-on stuff you can do to the HF unit.
          If these are still available from HD for $99 its a great buy, solidly made.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-03-2008, 01:35 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...