• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjmac44
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2006
    • Omaha, Nebraska

A few questions - Jointer

Trying to convince myselft that if I get a 8 inch, G0586, I will have it for lifetime without having to upgrade later. Or should I save a few hundred and go with 6 inch and plan on upgrading later, if needed???? Next project on the list is a queen size bed.

Thanks,

Todd
    Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I think your decision should be influenced not just by price, but also by the amount of space you can dedicate (the long-bed models especially can use up a lot of it) and the size of the material you plan to be working with. If building tabletops or cabinetry with wider boards is your plan, you may want to invest in the larger jointer. If picture frames and spice racks are your thing, then you will never outgrow a 6" model. Another consideration is whether you have other tools, such as a thickness planer or a drum sander, that might take up some of the slack, if there is any.
    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 12-27-2007, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• gary
      • May 2004
      • Versailles, KY, USA.

It always costs more to get the lesser tool and then upgrade later. I have a 6" and wish for a larger jointer. If you are considering the G0586 @ $695. I'd consider the G0490 8" Parallelogram jointer @ $795. It also has a built in mobile base.

As for me, I want this G0480 10" jointer. Designed like the OLD-IRON of legend.

Gary

Comment

• windmill
        Forum Newbie
        • Sep 2007

This is a question every woodworker faces sooner or later. I bought a 6", and I've been very happy with it. There are times when I wish I had an 8" jointer of course, but I wish I was better looking as well.

A bigger jointer obviously allows you to face joint wider boards, but it also makes it easier to joint longer boards. If you're dealing with a lot of boards 8 feet or longer, then the larger bed will really help. If that's the exception, then an infeed/ outfeed roller stand will suffice. You can use a planer with a sled to joint the occasional wide board. It takes slightly longer, but if it's occasional, then it's not a big deal.

Don't worry about the whole upgrade thing. Buy what you want, and what you can afford. If you want the 8", and can afford it, then go get it. If you're not sure, or money is an issue, get the 6". Worst case, you outgrow it, sell it on Craig's List for $200, and buy a new one. By then, you'll know exactly what you want, and select the right machine.

Remember, width is only part of the equation. Do you want parallelogram tables? Helix cutter? A planer/ jointer combo? You can make much more expensive mistakes than getting a 6" instead of an 8"!

Three things you'll never hear a woodworker say:
        - I have enough clamps
        - I don't want any more tools
        - I wish I had a smaller jointer

Bas.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A lot of excellent points have been made already. Don't know if I can add a lot, but here are two more things to consider:

1. A surprising amount of furniture (sideboards, chests of drawers, dressers, blanket chests, etc) is somewhere on the order of 20" deep, with a top about 2" deeper. With an 8" jointer, that works out to three boards and two glue lines. With a 6" jointer, it's four boards and three glue lines. Is one extra glue line per panel really all that big a deal, in the big scheme of building a complete piece of furniture?

2. I wouldn't buy a 6" jointer with the intent of upgrading to "only" an 8". I have a 6" now and have vague plans of getting a 12" someday. If you want an 8" and think that is as big as you'll ever want to go, get it now -- the price difference over a 6" just isn't that much.
          Larry

Comment

• Garasaki
            • Sep 2006

If you have the luxury of time, you may consider looking around for used jointers - old arn if you can find it.

You may be able to easily score an 8" for the price of a new 6", and you may even be lucky enough to stumble upon a 12" for the price of a new 6".

8" certainly isn't the end all be all of jointers - I think if you are assuming you'll never buy a bigger jointer then that, you may be in for a disappointment down the road.

If it were me, and I was simply asked to choose between a 6" and 8" jointer, it'd be a total no-brainer: 8".

But I'd still be keeping an eye out for a 12 or 16
            -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
            -Henry Blake

Comment

• tjmac44
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2006
              • Omaha, Nebraska

Originally posted by Garasaki
              If you have the luxury of time, you may consider looking around for used jointers - old arn if you can find it.

You may be able to easily score an 8" for the price of a new 6", and you may even be lucky enough to stumble upon a 12" for the price of a new 6".

8" certainly isn't the end all be all of jointers - I think if you are assuming you'll never buy a bigger jointer then that, you may be in for a disappointment down the road.

If it were me, and I was simply asked to choose between a 6" and 8" jointer, it'd be a total no-brainer: 8".

But I'd still be keeping an eye out for a 12 or 16
              I have had great luck selling stuff on craigslist, but no luck for the last 4 months on finding some arn in the Omaha/Lincoln/Nebraksa/Iowa area's. Maybe if John Deere made some woodworking tools it would change.

I will also be looking for a thickness planer and a band saw. Is there a equation, probably wrong word choice, for these tools to work together? i.e. Jointer width/planer width/ Band saw resaw height?

TJ
              Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by windmill
                This is a question every woodworker faces sooner or later. I bought a 6", and I've been very happy with it. There are times when I wish I had an 8" jointer of course, but I wish I was better looking as well.

I'm already very good looking but some days I wish I had 10" or even 12"

Now, about jointers...
                consider a longer bed 6" jointer, perhaps?
                Depends on whether you need joint and or face plane longer boards (up to 8-10' long) or wider (8")...
                If you need neither then the 6" will do.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

To confuse you even more, regardless of the size jointer 6 or 8", check out this link.

I have a Rigid 6" jointer and once I switched to this cutterhead, I fell like I died and went to WW heaven. It's cheap and saves you mucho time futzing with blade height and replacement. Also the cut is "to die for".

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Garasaki
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by tjmac44
                    I have had great luck selling stuff on craigslist, but no luck for the last 4 months on finding some arn in the Omaha/Lincoln/Nebraksa/Iowa area's.
                    I live not too far from you. You need to expand your horizons from just CL - find every local classifieds section in online papers you can. Any other local print classifieds (we have a local credit union that has a very popular buy and sell). Learn how to search ebay by location. Learn the online sites (here, woodnet, owwm, etc). Hit up auctions in person (www.auctionzip.com)

Perhaps be prepared to drive a bit to pick up the right tool for you.

No, there aren't a ton of tools for sale in our area. But with patience you can come across something that fits your needs. I see a lot of lunchbox planers for sale around here - sometimes severly overpriced. Jointers aren't as common but I've seen a good 6" and a good 8" come by.

It's tough cause you have to be prepared to jump on a deal as soon as you see it - in other words you have to have the cash ready 24/7.
                    -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                    -Henry Blake

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Do you have the space or can make it for a 8"? The beds are longer and that has to be taken into account. I had a 6" (I loved) that was very adequate as it had 55" bed. But.. I still had to put Rigid stands on the ends for support as I do purchase and use lots of long stock. A lot of my project pieces are up to 4' and some exceed that.

So... I got the 8" with longer bed and of course width. I had a chance to get a Steel City 16" for $1600, but passed as it took up a bit more space than I could allow. I will double pass with an attached over-head guard to allow up to 16" wide and there are days I could use more than 16". I can take the ridge from a double pass out with a hand-plane in less than 10 minutes.

So.. as stated by others, what size do you mainly build? Do you have the space alloted. The bigger.. the better but... my 20" planer with sled can take up some slack and I started long ago with hand-planes and won't hesitate to use them if they are what will do what I need to do if my stock exceeds my machine limitations.

I will add that if I still had the 6" jointer and could not up-size under any circumstances.... it would not stop any size project I took on as there are alternatives to detour around machine limitations. But... if you do go 6", the longer bed would be a plus but may cost a little extra. Then again... an 8" as stated isn't that much more.

I'm glad I don't have all these decisions to make anymore...

Comment

• Slik Geek
                        • Dec 2006
                        • Lake County, Illinois
                        • Ryobi BT-3000

I had a cheap, short bed 6" jointer that I replaced with the G0586. I've been very happy with the Grizzly jointer. I like the long bed, and find those extra 2 inches of width very handy. If I had it to do again, I'd get the G0586.

(Just make sure you've got help moving the beast!!! The crate is large and heavy).

Also - my only complaint about this jointer is the electrical wiring setup was a pain. Once it is setup, all is okay. I'd just like to smack the person who came up with the wiring scheme (working over your head in tight spaces). Perhaps you might consider starting the wiring first, before you mount the bed assembly onto the stand.

Hmmm, one other complaint - tensioning the belt was a bit difficult by myself. Get somebody to help and it will probably go easy.

Once setup is done, the jointer has been a pleasure to use.

To rephrase, if you think you may need an 8" jointer, then you probably do. Don't compromise with a 6".

Comment

• windmill
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by tjmac44
                          I will also be looking for a thickness planer and a band saw. Is there a equation, probably wrong word choice, for these tools to work together? i.e. Jointer width/planer width/ Band saw resaw height?
                          Sort of. A standard 14" band saw can resaw up to 6". Add a 6" riser block (an option for most band saws) and now you can resaw 12". The 6" height obviously works well with a 6" jointer. A 12" board fits a 13" (or 12 1/2") planer. Glue up two 6" boards and they fit through the planer. The whole equation goes down the toilet combining 12" resawing with an 8" jointer of course. So consider getting a 12" jointer instead :-)

On a more general note, you'll find that you want larger tools for larger projects. If you make birdhouses and spice racks, then stick with a simple table saw, a 6" jointer and a 12" planer. If you're building wall-to-wall entertainment centers, think 12" jointer, 25" planer and 18" band saw.

Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing wrong with upgrading later! People don't live in the same house their whole life. Or drive the same car. As your projects change, your tools will need to change accordingly. Again, I emphasize you can make big mistakes in the higher price range if you don't know what you want.

How easy is access to your shop? If you have to go down a set of stairs, you may want to go with an 8" jointer from the start. Just so you don't have to suffer twice. I have a basement shop with easy access to the outside, so that's not a factor when I buy tools.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

the entry 6" griz the G0452, costs $325 is 46" long and ships at 270 lbs.
                            The 8" G0586 costs $595 is 75" long and ships at 470 lbs.

Sometimes its not just the capability but how much machine your shop can handle. significant footprint, and weight difference and cost differences (almost 2X in all cases) for only 33% increase in width capacity. (although that's not a good measure necessarily!)
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

I have an 8, and like it a lot. I could certainly see going to something bigger in the next shop, but if I don't, no biggie. The 8 has pretty excellent capacity. It's all about what you are going to FACE joint, obviously. Edge jointing is only affected by bed length, and if you need to joint longer than that, there's an easy way with a router....

Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...