• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

X-workhorse

Anyone seen this? Interesting folding plastic and aluminum tool stand.

http://toolmonger.com/2006/09/12/han...s-x-workhorse/

So my Sister gave me one of these. Says Black and Decker on the package but the only web site reference i see is Home Depot with a Husky name on it. May actually be made by Keter Plastic Ltd.

One foot is actually cleverly adjustable for leveling, The locking top comes off and snaps to the center post when folded for flat storage, about 3" thick. Got some 3/4" tapered holes in the top I haven't figured out what for. Because the bottom is not flat but a honeycombed web it'll be hard to use conventional clamps to attach work to this thing. Fairly light but holds 750 lbs. four rubber feet at the top four corners make for putting a larger top on this thing non-skidding. 30-3/4" tall.

Interestingly I just found Tom HIntz wrote a review on this in Oct 2005. http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...rkhrservu.html
    Was a Husky item then, wonder where it's been hiding for 2 years?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-30-2007, 12:55 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

That's pretty amazing. It took a lot of searching to discover that it costs only $35 (though I guess I could have checked the Home Depot web site).

One write-up said the holes are for attaching tools such as a miter saw.

Isn't Keter is the company that first introduced plastic sawhorses a decade or so ago?

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

I have two of these in my garage. I bought them at the BORG about 2 years ago. When I need a quick base to work on this is the first piece I reach for. I like them alot.
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• softop41
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Plainfield, IL, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I have had one since they first showed up at the Borg. As gad5264 said, it is the first thing I reach for when I need a temporry stand for anything. I used it as a stand for my 13' planer for a while, then for my wet sharpener. It was pretty darn stable for how foldable and compact it is.
        Jerry
        Jerry
        Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• frumper64
          Established Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Garland, Tx, USA.

Now available at Harbor Freight

I've had one of these I got from HD for a year or so and really like it - quick to set up, very stable and sturdy. On a side note, I was at HF over the weekend and noticed that they had one on display there for something less than $30 - looked identical. Sorry, I didn't notice the item number, but can go back and check if someone needs it
          Jim
          64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• AAJIII
            Established Member
            • Jan 2003
            • WANAQUE, NJ, USA.
            • Steel City 10" table saw

stands

I have a bunch of them in my shop, they are great for just about everything including a temporary tool stand for a planer, cms, etc.

I don't even use my standard saw horses anymore.

Al
            AL JEWELL

Comment

• gwyneth
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Bayfield Co., WI

If Al and Gad have successfully used them as planer stands, that's pretty impressive.

I tried to find the corporate site to see if there are add-on accessories but it's part of an Israeli plastics conglomerate.

Maybe the 3/4 inch holes take the Workmate "dogs" (which Rockler sells a clone of, 4 for 3.95?)

Clearly it saves a lot of money being hundreds of miles from a BORG--these sound terrific.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gwyneth
                If Al and Gad have successfully used them as planer stands, that's pretty impressive.

I tried to find the corporate site to see if there are add-on accessories but it's part of an Israeli plastics conglomerate.

Maybe the 3/4 inch holes take the Workmate "dogs" (which Rockler sells a clone of, 4 for 3.95?)

Clearly it saves a lot of money being hundreds of miles from a BORG--these sound terrific.

Both the B&D workmate plastic dogs and standard workbench dogs use 3/4" holes. I thought of that but it would be hard to use the dogs to back up because for dogs you either need a bench that's going nowhere to back up the dogs (in this case the bench weighs 15 lbs so you can't effectively push against the dogs) OR you need a clamp/vise attached to the bench so that the vise tightens against the dog using the benchtop as the common base, but in this case there's no way to attach a vise.

In my classic B&D workmate there's dog holes in both sides of the top and the vise-action of the top will both tighten on and hold items securely between dogs, and the weight of the bench if you put your foot on the step would hold items securely as you sawed or pushed sideways on it.

Where the X-bench would seem to fail compared to the classic workmate is that there's no good way to hold the workpiece, its more of a stand only than a workbench/vise like the workmates.

Maybe there's a jig to build that functions as a vise to clamp items between the various 3/4" holes (There's about a dozen in four lines)
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• ryan.s
                  • Feb 2006
                  • So Cal
                  • Ridgid TS3650

There are similar ones from stanley that came with a vice and bench dogs.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....+2+Vice+Clamps

I picked up a couple of these on sale for $20 IRRC at HD a couple of years ago. Pretty handy when you need a temporary bench.

Comment

• rja
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I wonder if this could be used for a quickie router table?

Comment

• Thom2
                      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Stevens, PA, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Maybe there's a jig to build that functions as a vise to clamp items between the various 3/4" holes (There's about a dozen in four lines)
                      like these?

If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• goslin23
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • Richmond, TX
                        • Rigid TS3650

When I 1st began my journey back into woodworking, this was my 1st purchase. I've used it for many things.. tool stand, work surface, step stool etc. It's built well and folds up and out of the way when not in use. I have been considering a 2nd one and now that you've reminded me about it, I think I'll go pick up another one this weekend.

-=gos=-
                        If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• gwyneth
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          In my classic B&D workmate there's dog holes in both sides of the top and the vise-action of the top will both tighten on and hold items securely between dogs, and the weight of the bench if you put your foot on the step would hold items securely as you sawed or pushed sideways on it.
                          The sloped design of the B and D dogs does provide some cam and wedge action independent of the vise-action of the top--i.e., several of them can be adjusted to wedge in a workpiece, as dog wedges did for thousands of years before screw vises were devised. However, the weight of the bench obviously makes this possible.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by rja
                            I wonder if this could be used for a quickie router table?
                            Not really, the center is supported both vertically with a post and cross members, no room for a router. At 750 lbs capacity, it would be overkill for a router, anyway.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Thom2
                              like these?

yeah, those are nice, too bad they each cost as much as the table.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...