• Show
Clear All
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

Help with what to purchase next

O.K. I've been saving my pennies and putting money way each paycheck and am now contemplating my next "big purchase" ~$400. Based on what I have, what tool(s) would you buy next.

I've been contemplating these in no specific order:
    • HF 2HP Dust collector
    • Porter Cable compressor/brad nailer combo
    • new dedicated router + top/lift (build cabinet)
    • Jointer (rigid/delta 6")
    • Planer (need to save a few more weeks/months)
    • Clamps, clamps clamps (36+")
    • Other items i've overlooked?
    Power tools I currently own:
    Saws:
    Craftsman 21829
    Dewalt 10" RAS
    Craftsman 10" miter saw
    Ryobi 9" Band saw
    Craftsman scroll saw
    Craftsman jig saw
    Skillsaw circular saw

Routers:
    Ryobi 2HP Plunge (1/2 in collet with 1/4" sleeve)
    Craftsman 1 3/4 HP fixed (1/4 in collet) (mounted on 21829)

Sanders:
    B&D sand storm ROS
    Craftsman 1/3.
    Bosch handheld Belt Sander
    Ryobi Disc/Belt sander

Drills:
    Craftsman 10" Drill press
    Several corded/cordless drills

Dust Collection:
    Craftsman 5.5 HP Wet/Dry ShopVac

Clamps
    Embarrassed to say the collection is so small (dang those are expensive)
    none > 36"

Misc.
    Chisels, planes and other hand tools
    Last edited by Hoakie; 07-09-2007, 11:20 PM.
    John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Good 1/2" router for table, more clamps.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

you don't say what kind of projects you're working on. That has a lot of bearing on the types of tools (and clamps) you might need.
      You mostly need long clamps for working on bigger pieces of furniture. If you don't work on furniture a lot then maybe a couple of pipe clamps will do you fine for big clamps and you can have a lot of F-clamps (typically can be bought around $5 each) for bulk clamping and a few quick grips for your hold downs and jigs and stuff. I sure wouldn't blow the big tool budget on clamps, just buy a few each time they are on sale.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If you use alot of hardwoods and softwoods (as opposed to sheetgoods), a planer and jointer used in tandem can really change how you do things and will improve the tightness of your joinery.

I'd go with a planer first, which will pretty much move a DC higher on the list soon after unless you get one with a chip ejector. Then I'd add a jointer next.

It's easier to come up with the cash for clamps from pocket change, BD money, etc., so I'd focus on the bigger ticket items. Buying used is an excellent way to maximize your budget.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          you don't say what kind of projects you're working on. That has a lot of bearing on the types of tools (and clamps) you might need.
          You mostly need long clamps for working on bigger pieces of furniture. If you don't work on furniture a lot then maybe a couple of pipe clamps will do you fine for big clamps and you can have a lot of F-clamps (typically can be bought around $5 each) for bulk clamping and a few quick grips for your hold downs and jigs and stuff. I sure wouldn't blow the big tool budget on clamps, just buy a few each time they are on sale.

I couldn't agree more, especially about what type of projects you do. If remodeling the house its one thing, if its kitchen cabinets its another.

I don't know what your shop situation is, how big, in the garage, seperate from the house? I was into this ww thing for about a year and a half before I realized the importance of real dust collection. It's good for your health, good for the tools and maybe most of all you will track less dust and chips into the house if you happen to have a shop attached to the house. (Easier on the spousal relationship)

At some point it usually comes down to the planer/jointer question? If you are using rough cut lumber then a jointer is a must have tool. Then, its not much use unless you have a planer to finish the process. If you use finished lumber (like oak from the BORG), then skip the jointer for a while and go with the planer for thicknessing lumber if that fits the projects that you do.

Clamps? Get em from HF when on sale. Not big ticket stuff. My$0.02
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I think the best answer -- and Loring alluded to this, in his reply -- is to buy whatever would help you the most on the kind of projects you now build, or would like to build next. This should also take in account the kinds of materials you typically work with. For example, if you work with plywood a lot, neither a jointer nor a planer will get much use.

Otherwise, +1 on what everyone else has said. Buy your clamps a few here, a few there; and yes, definitely save your money and buy the jointer and planer at the same time (or nearly so).

I don't know whether the ordering of your list of candidates carries any significance, but for most of the tools you already own, I'm not sure a full-size DC will be all that big an improvement over your shop vac.

If you drive many nails (a good possibility, since you say your clamp collection is small), you'd love having a brad nailer. Driving nails by hand takes one for the nail and one for the hammer, leaving none to hold the pieces in alignment. Being able to shoot a fastener with one hand will make you feel like you've grown a third arm.
            Larry

Comment

• Garasaki
              • Sep 2006

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at used jointers/planers, and a dust collector.

A jointer/planer is very important, one of those things you don't realize how important they are until you use them. I mention them together because really you need both to compliment each other, but you can always just start with one and add the second later. Basic jointer design hasn't changed for about 80 years, so there's a lot of options on the used market.

I find improving dust collection is perhaps the single thing that makes woodworking more enjoyable for me. I hate having to deal with the mess that gets made everywhere with poor or no dust collection. That's why I have it rated highly.
              -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
              -Henry Blake

Comment

• Hoakie
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Iowa
                • Craftsman 21829

Good point about the type of work. I see myself working on "smallish" projects (chairs, quilt rack/stands,end tables, gifts etc). I don't anticipate doing a lot of major cabinetry or built in work, at least until LOML gains more confidence in my abilities. Additionally, I know the LOML likes the rustic look of "used" wood and species not carried by the BORG. As such, I think the Jointer/Planner are in my future, the question is... now or later. Additionally, I think i may be able to swing the DC as a b-day present in August.

Oh yeah, I'm in a fairly decent size shop in the basement.
                John
                To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
                  ... Driving nails by hand takes one for the nail and one for the hammer, leaving none to hold the pieces in alignment. Being able to shoot a fastener with one hand will make you feel like you've grown a third arm.
                  However if you're inclined to be clumsy, and you nail your free hand to the project, then you'll feel like you only have one arm.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

As you have worked on or contemplated projects in the past, which tools do you remember saying to yourself "Dammit, I wish I had a _______"? Fill in the blank, and you will have the answer to your question.

Comment

• ragswl4
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Winchester, Ca
                      • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                      As you have worked on or contemplated projects in the past, which tools do you remember saying to yourself "Dammit, I wish I had a _______"? Fill in the blank, and you will have the answer to your question.

Probably the best answer I have seen yet.

With the shop in the basement do you anticpate any problem with dust getting into your heating/ac and spreading through the house. Just a thought, don't know where your heating/ac is located in relation to your shop.
                      RAGS
                      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                      sigpic

Comment

• Sawatzky
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • CA
                        • Ridgid TS3650

If you don't have an air nailer, that is what I would buy. I use my brad nailer and finish nailer on every project. Once you have one, you will wonder how you ever got along without one. HF has some very inexpinseve brad nailers that get good reivews. You may just want to add that to whatever large purchase you make.

Comment

• messmaker
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2004
                          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                          • Ridgid 2424

I also would agee with the air compressor/brad nailer. you will wonder how you ever lived without one.
                          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• drumpriest
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                            • Powermatic PM 2000

I use my naillers from time to time, but mostly I try not to, clamps are the way to go where possible. You need to be able to joint even S4S lumber to do glue-ups etc... you can accomplish this fairly well on smaller projects using a good router in a good router table. As your need for jointing grows, you'll want a jointer, the bigger the better, most of the time.

The planer allows you to buy less expensive lumber, and pays for itself, but you need to use it in conjunction with a jointer to get truly flat straight boards.

I can only really tell you what I did, and I think it was a pretty good way to go, I built quite a few nice things with my TS, router in a table, router freehand, good dust collector (really important, I think), some clamps, and a jig saw.

The band saw opened up new things to me, like hand cut veneering and marquetry, but the jig saw can really do a lot of the cutting out a shape jobs, and a good one like the Bosch is a nice tool to have.

I'd rather have a good jigsaw and a scroll saw than a small band saw (sorry guys).
                            Keith Z. Leonard
                            Go Steelers!

Comment

• Garasaki
                              • Sep 2006

John,

I didn't realize it was you who had started this thread when I PMed you about those craigslist ads!!!!

Talk about good timing. If you find out any additional info about that equipment let me know!!

jointer
                              Last edited by Garasaki; 07-10-2007, 09:41 AM.
                              -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                              -Henry Blake

Comment

Working...