• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Trim router question

I am thinking about buying one of these. A Bosch to be exact and was wondering if they had enough power to joint a 3/4" board. The second concern or question is if so do you think the little 1/4" shank would take the pressure. I would expect I'd only be taking off say like 1/16" off at a time with a straight bit. I've never used that small of shank bit but hear things all the time about them not being as strong as the 1/2" shank but would they be OK for this particular application taking that little of cut?
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • blame
    Established Member
    • May 2007
    • Northern MO
    • delta ts-220 or something like that

here is a porter cable laminate trimmer on Ebay

blame

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

I haven't had any problems using the Bosch as you describe, Mac. I've used it for jointing a few times, but mostly for template and pattern routing in tough grain patterns, climb routing etc.
      The Colt is a sweet tool. I have the single speed model and haven't seen the need for variable speed for a 'trim' router'. But the Colt gets grabbed for most hand held work now instead of one of the bigger routers.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by lcm1947
        I am thinking about buying one of these. A Bosch to be exact and was wondering if they had enough power to joint a 3/4" board. The second concern or question is if so do you think the little 1/4" shank would take the pressure. I would expect I'd only be taking off say like 1/16" off at a time with a straight bit. I've never used that small of shank bit but hear things all the time about them not being as strong as the 1/2" shank but would they be OK for this particular application taking that little of cut?

For the way you are describing the procedure, a 1/4" shank in a trim router works fine. Yes, 1/2" shanks are stronger. but making light passes is the key. You'll know right away if your forward motion is too fast, or you're taking off too much. The sound, vibration, and chattering will be some of the signals. Using these same principles you can do other types of profiling.

There are times that the size and weight of a larger router makes for difficult passes. All this being said I wouldn't table mount a trim router.

Comment

• gad5264
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Columbus, Ohio, USA
          • BT3000/BT3100NIB

I have the Bosch Colt and it has never let me down with any job I have attempted to do with it.
          Grant
          "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

FYI: They reviewed these in the current issue of WOOD (July '07). Essentially Bosch PR20EVSK (~$115) was rated top tool and Griz H7791 (~$40) was top value. Among other things, they say of the Bosch "full size router features in a compact tool"
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

the amount of material normally removed (1/16 th 1/32") in edge jointing a 3/4" thick board should pose no problem to a trim router.

However, one questions this. For edge jointing you would preferably want the router table-mounted for most stability. Why would you bother to get a small router to table mount? The trim router when hand-held the advantage is lightweight and slim profile making it easy to hold. No adv. to mounting in a table unless you have a really weak table .
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mschrank
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2004
                • Hood River, OR, USA.
                • BT3000

Ever since I bought the Bosch Colt a couple months back, my big Bosch stays under the table. This little thing is great! I recently used it to cut back some 3/4" Brazilian Cherry flooring (installer didn't leave me enough room to sink the t-mold transitions in the doorways). I took several light passes, but if it wasn't for the occasional cleat/nail, I'm sure the Colt wouldv'e been up to more aggressive cutting.

I got the variable speed model, but I don't think I'll ever need to drop it below top speed. I opted for VS because it was only $10 more. I bought a reconditioned one from CPO Bosch. The single speed is only $80.00 plus shipping right now.

I actually prefer reconditioned tools. Cheaper, same warranty, and you know the unit has been individually inspected.
                Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• lcm1947
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Austin, Texas
                  • BT 3100-1

Thanks for the replies and yes I read the recent magazine in rating the trim routers out there and the Bosch won hands down and is the reason that would be the one I get. And it would be the single speed. Loring & Cabinetman I wasn't planning on using it in a table. I have tried unsuccessfully to joint with the table but just can't seem to get it perfect so have decided to try Niki's method. Actually I have already and it worked perfect and I mean perfect so that's my jointing method until I decide if ever to buy a jointer which I am starting to doubt. The reason I am thinking about the little router is to use when jointing narrower boards like 3"'s. The larger routers are fine for wider boards but the narrower base of around 1 1/2" to the bit would allow me to joint the narrower boards easier using Niki's method plus I can see that it would come in handy in a lot of other different applications I'm thinking. Anyway that's my thoughts on why I need a trim router.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Mac,
                    Pat Warner has a clear base for the Colt that takes PC bushings, and an offset clear base also. Both are useful accessories to the Colt. The offset base helps with stability when using the router on narrow stock.

Comment

• lcm1947
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Austin, Texas
                      • BT 3100-1

Hey thanks Ken. Who is Pat Warner? Yeah they both sound like something I'd like to get so when I find out who Pat is I'll have to check into it. Thanks for the heads up. That's one of the reasons why this forum is so great it's guys like you that will take a minute to help us out.

Comment

• RickLab
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Plano, TX, USA.

Originally posted by lcm1947
                        Hey thanks Ken. Who is Pat Warner? Yeah they both sound like something I'd like to get so when I find out who Pat is I'll have to check into it. Thanks for the heads up. That's one of the reasons why this forum is so great it's guys like you that will take a minute to help us out.
                        http://www.patwarner.com

http://www.patwarner.com/pr20_subbase.html

Comment

• buckeye95
                          Established Member
                          • May 2003
                          • Columbus, Ohio.
                          • Ridgid TS2400

Looks like CPO Bosch has the recon variable speed for only $10 more than the single speed. Here is what it includes:

Colt™ Variable-Speed Palm Router Kit - PR20EVSK
                          Variable-speed motor
                          Drop-forged wrench
                          1/4" self-releasing collet
                          Fixed base - PR001
                          Straight-edge guide - PR002
                          Carrying Case

Comment

• mschrank
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2004
                            • Hood River, OR, USA.
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by buckeye95
                            Looks like CPO Bosch has the recon variable speed for only $10 more than the single speed. Here is what it includes:

Colt™ Variable-Speed Palm Router Kit - PR20EVSK
                            Variable-speed motor
                            Drop-forged wrench
                            1/4" self-releasing collet
                            Fixed base - PR001
                            Straight-edge guide - PR002
                            Carrying Case
                            Thanks for the tip!
                            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• lcm1947
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Austin, Texas
                              • BT 3100-1

Thanks Richlab for the sites. What is CPO Bosch? Is that a site? I'd like to look at that recon Bosch.

Comment

Working...