Would these be good fixer-uppers for a newbie on small budget?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • publicbkh
    Handtools only
    • May 2007

Would these be good fixer-uppers for a newbie on small budget?

What do you guys think of these?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/tls/339746511.html
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/tls/339533897.html

Listed for either $25 or 30 and both appear more substantial than the cheapest entry-level table saws at the store. The craftsman has a belt-driven motor, and the tables for both look hefty.

I can barely stretch my budget to $200 for a table saw (so couldn't get to $270 + tax for the craftsman OR35506 currently on sale). However, I don't have a pressing need for one right now, and would enjoy the process of restoring older equipment, if possible.

Advice?

Thanks!
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Both look like a challenge but if you are in to rebuilding old machinery then I guess if the motor runs and the blade spins freely without noise (remove the belt and spin by hand) then it might be worthwhile. The scrap metal is probably worth the price of the saw. Before you jump on one you might want to look on owwm.org. Old WoodWorking Machines has a lot of info and pictures of these old machines as well as a forum for questions, etc... I don't see much risk there if you enjoy the experience of rebuilding a machine.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If they run and you don't mind some elbow grease, they're priced right. The parts are probably worth the price. Are they 10" saws?
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would certainly avoid any 8" table saws, I know Sears (Craftsman)and Wards (Power Kraft) used to sell those regularly.

I would think it would be a lot less work to take and cleanup a BT3100 bought off your local want ads or Craigs list and maybe more rewarding. Shoud be able to get a nice one for $150-200 a fixer-upper for $50-100. A lot of people jam the blade, break the belts ($25) and then ditch the saw, You'll throw a few cusswords replacing the belt but end up with a like new saw. Don't get one with a burned up motor, that's more expensive ($50 used-180 new) to repair. You can run the motor and if you hear a nice high pitched whine its running good even tho the blade doesn't turn - the belts are broken.

If you read around here, the BT3000/3100 is a good basic, accurate saw with lots of opportunity for expansion/creativity but not suited for super heavy duty work. Discontinued last year, hundreds of thousands were sold during the 15-16 year life and Sears still sells a dolled up version. Lots of parts available.

But its up to what you want to end up with.

P.S. Another issue with those old saws is that they are notoriously lacking in safety, especially guards and riving knives.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-28-2007, 11:52 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

i would definately agree with loring.

one other thing that you could do, is keep looking and take your time and dont rush. you will definately come across a deal on another brand ts like a delta contractor saw. a setup that may cost like $600 may just end up costing you like 200 to 300. some one down here bought a delta contractor saw with the long rails with extensions and a router table built into it with the router for $300. now that saves you a considerable amount of time setup wise (offset by cost), but definately worth it. the key is not to hurry and your research.

regards,

Comment

• blame
            Established Member
            • May 2007
            • Northern MO
            • delta ts-220 or something like that

personally i would stay away from both saws they both look like 8" saws
            to small last year i picked up a delta tb for $80 and all i had to do was realign the the blade so the deals are out there and if your not pressed for one wait to see what you can find or save your cash for a better saw

you will always find you want the better tools it make a world of differnce in quality of what your building the heavier the tool the better off you are i've learned this lesson the hard way

blame

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Evening PB...

I can sympathize with your budget as we have probably all been there at one time or another. But... for the labor involved in getting those "rust buckets" back to top shape, you could probably take on a part time job for a few weeks and get a better set-up.

Now.. if ya happen to be in the Atlanta area somewhere in the future and you can drop by and convince me that the $275 might be a major hard-ship for you at the moment... and a "passion burns within you" to get deeper involved in WW:.... we might need to talk.

I got a little TS sitting in the back shop that needs some TLC from someone that has the "passion" I mentioned, but just not the $$ due to extenuating circumstances. Probably not as nice as that Craftsman mentioned, but it has proven it can take on 40,000 linear feet of ripping hard-wood and is still standing tall. No rust to clean up either. Kind of a "fixer-upper" that don't need a lot of fixin'. You might say I am hard pressed for $25 at the moment and sounds as if it could be a good deal for you and me! ha.. ha....

Regards...
              Attached Files

Comment

• sbs
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • VA
                • BT3.1k

Originally posted by publicbkh
                I can barely stretch my budget to $200 for a table saw

$200 is more than enough for a like-new BT3k.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

I restored a jointer that was about the same age as those. A lot of work and neither of those appear to be top of the line saws.

If I was to buy one it would be the second one for $30. Assuming it runs, it could be put into service with just some cleaning and polhing of the top. If the bearings are easily accessable, replacements on these age machines are available at most any decent bearing supply.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• p8ntblr
                    • Jan 2007
                    • So Cal
                    • Craftsman 22114

Keep your out for great deals on Craigslist even if it's not your ideal saw because you can always clean it up and sell it for a profit. I went up from a Skil tabletop to a Zip code saw that way. It depends on your area, but there are almost always deals to be had on Craigslist, if you act fast enough.
                    -Paul

Comment

• publicbkh
                      Handtools only
                      • May 2007

Thanks for the comments and advice! I'm not buying either

The owners of the saws replied with more info: both only take 8 or 8 1/2" blades (how can you tell from the photos? Table top size?)

The $30 table is a Duro, while the Craftsman remains unknown. None of the prom shots on OWWM matched so, just for fun, I've uploaded the two photos the seller sent me; maybe somebody here will know.

I'm holding out for a better deal, which feels like the right decision thanks to your comments about safety and value (hard for a newbie to judge).

The "big iron" of the two saws is attractive, but maybe that's part idealization and reaction to my direct drive Craftsman tablesaw (137.218250) that feels too dangerous to use (motor shaft wobbles freely).

Sarge -- Astounding and generous offer, and I hope you will find a deserving recipient in the Atlanta area. ( Fortunately, I'm in Minneapolis so I don't have to find out if I am, or not )

Comment

• Brian G
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                        • G0899

Did you happen to catch this listing yesterday?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/tls/340185218.html

In my opinion, it's a much better option than the other two (but not as good as Sarge's).
                        Last edited by Brian G; 05-29-2007, 05:33 PM.
                        Brian

Comment

• gwyneth
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Bayfield Co., WI

Compared to the Duluth one, the Minneapolis CL is like shopping at Amazon. Late last year I saw a Unisaw on there for $150. It was an old one, and an hour the other side of the cities, but still...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by publicbkh
                            The owners of the saws replied with more info: both only take 8 or 8 1/2" blades (how can you tell from the photos? Table top size?)
                            Kind of an educated hunch. they looked kinda small, AND from looking at old ads and such of that era, I knew that saws were often 8"-ish.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-31-2007, 12:11 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• movnup
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2006
                              • Seattle
                              • BT3000

As a comparison I almost bought a barely used BT3100 for $100 and just got an e-mail back confirming a BT3000 for $75 in great shape on Craig's list (so I have an extra motor / parts). I purchased my BT3000 for $80 and wet sanded with emory cloth to clean it up and industrial epoxy paint to finish ($25 worth) ... the net net is $105 for a great running / looking saw !!!

The trick to CL that I use is to run an RSS feed as the bargains like this are gone within minutes !!!

Comment

Working...