X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

What Square to get?

Just got my blades for my CMS and TS. I have yet to replace the stock blades so I need to buy a square to measure... well squareness. Gonna head to Rockler (or is there a better place for it) to pick one up tomorrow and was wondering if there was any recommendations. Are they all pretty much the same or are some squares squarer (that sounds like a made up word for some reason) than others??
    Last edited by jussi; 03-03-2007, 08:59 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Or should I just get a Starrett 505A-12 so I can use it for mouldings as well
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

Drafting triangles work well for setup though the Starrett 505A-12 looks nice too.
      DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• ryan.s
        • Feb 2006
        • So Cal
        • Ridgid TS3650

I have one of these in the 6"

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=square

and a set of 3 squares from HF and have had no complaints. An easy way to test how true the square is is to put it up against a jointed board and draw a line. Flip around and draw another line on top of the first. If there is no deviation then the square is true. All 4 squares were true, at least true enough for me to the naked eye.

Comment

• bthere
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Alpharetta, GA

I use a 4" engineer's square for almost all tool setups. I think it's the most cost effective solution. A combo square that is actually square will cost many times what an engineer's square costs, unless you get extremely lucky. I've never run across an inexpensive combination square that is square enough for me to use in tool setup. The engineer square is also just about the right size for me to stand up and use against a blade or bit.

With the square, a straight edge, and a dial indicator, I think you can set up just about any standard shop tool.

Comment

• MilDoc

I bought the Incra 5" square after using a plastic triangle for a while. The Incra will stand up, and has an edge along the red side to hold it against wood for marking. I use it a lot more than i thought I would. I liked their "guaranteed square," and it is really solid.

http://www.amazon.com/Incra-GSQR5-Gu...2978755&sr=1-2

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

I have to disagree with some other members, but don't even bother screwing around, buy a 12" Starrett.

Any error that your induce or allow in any machine set-up isn't worth saving some money up-front. Keep in mind that your time and the current cost of hardwood well outweigh the additional cost of "good" measuring tools.

Squares, straght edges, calipers, at least one (you'll get that with the starrett) accurate rule are what every shop needs at the begining.

If you're not in a major hurry, go to Amazon, they're cheaper than Rockler on most things, including Starrett.

Good luck,

Bruce
              Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 03-03-2007, 11:28 PM.
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• MilDoc

Well, gotta disagree with Bruce. I have a Starret combo squre too. The best they make. And, when compared to the Incra (which I've tested), it is just slightly off. Remember, cummulative measurement erros add up.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • SoCal, USA
                  • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

The machinist square from Rockler and 1 from MCLS (no scale)are Steel and dead on as far as I can tell. I have 6" ones. I just can not see why one would need to spend over $40 for a 6" square and the ones I have are very well made and stand easily upright, weight here is an advantage and steel just weighs more than AL. .
                  I also have the Stanley yellow "best" grade in 6",12",16" adjustable carpenter squares that are made in UK and are also very good, easy to read, but not quite as accurate as a fixed machinest square, and except for the 45*, I do not use them for setup.
                  Andrew

Comment

• MBG
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Chicago, Illinois.
                    • Craftsman 21829

I have used the heck out of my Wixey digital angle finder. I don't even use the scale on the saw anymore.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • SoCal, USA
                      • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I am tempted by that but I have been able to use my digital Bosch, not to say I would not like to have the Wixey. I use the Bosch all the time in moulding, especially crown. Not much in set up except at odd angles.
                      Andrew

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Loring chimes in

If you want a good reference for checking square get one of these (Engineer's or Machinist's square) in the 4" or 6" size. I like them because I reserve them for just checking square and you don't have to mess with or adjust anything, its small enough to get in and around the blade and or fences on the TS and BS and jointer and onto a bit under the chuck in a drill press. They stand readily on the fat edge.

With a 12" combo square its not the same - you have to slide the rule to the end to measure square against the handle and then the blade sticks up 12" in the air and gets in the way.

Bring a scrap of wood with a straight side and you can check the squareness in the store the same way you check a combo square (mark, flip, mark, compare for parallel...) or you can check it against all the other ones on the shelf at the store...

less than 20 bucks should get you a good one.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-04-2007, 12:38 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I use a 4" machinist's square for most blade set-ups, sometimes the combination square. Starrett is a great brand - consistent quality. I got a set of Groz squares as a gift and they're actually pretty accurate -- but I understand Groz can be hit of miss (as are any of the cheaper squares, probably).

You can also take the blade out of the combination square for 45's and 90's.
                          Last edited by Alex Franke; 03-04-2007, 01:09 PM.
                          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2003
                            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
                            Well, gotta disagree with Bruce. I have a Starret combo squre too. The best they make. And, when compared to the Incra (which I've tested), it is just slightly off. Remember, cummulative measurement erros add up.
                            Paul.

Not to be argumentative, but IMHO, but nothing beats a Starrett, unless its been abused(dropped, used as a hammer or a bottle opener)

Unless my rapidily fading memory is playing tricks, Starrett has a calabrabration service that will get that square (I only use the main part) back to factory specs for not a whole lot of money, and bingo, you've got the best precision (affordable by mortals) measuring device, along with a nifty 12" rule.

I once had to take two semesters of 2 and 3 point perspective rendering in art school which was taught by a Civil Engineer. This was before CAD and his approach to accuracy was if the rule part of a drafting machine was dropped, the molecular structure of the metal of the rule was altered and the rule was no longer accurate. It got thrown away. Now this was a little too much OCD in my opinion, but it does give an example of how far some people will go to obtain an accurate measure.

Unless I can be shown that Starrett (out of the box) isn't as accurate as other lower priced squares, I still choose Starrett.

Bruce
                            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                              Unless my rapidily fading memory is playing tricks, Starrett has a calabrabration service that will get that square (I only use the main part) back to factory specs for not a whole lot of money, and bingo, you've got the best precision (affordable by mortals) measuring device, along with a nifty 12" rule.
                              I like my 12" Starrett. But I LOVE my knock-off 6". The 6" was an eBay special ($15 w/ shippng). It is NOT one of the cheap superstore units. It has a hardened head and blade (engraved to 64ths). But, it was a tiny bit off when it arrived. So, I used a diamond sharpening plate to file the tiny bumps the blade registers against to perfection. It is now dead-on when compared to my Starrett and my drafting trianges. I compare them all to one another from time to time and nothing has changed.
                              Last edited by cgallery; 03-04-2007, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...