X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PALefty
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    there's a difference between starting amps, running amps and maximum amps.

Starting amps are usually 6-10 times the maximum amps but only lasts a very small fraction of a second, not long enough to trip standard breakers (by design).

Running amps are what it takes to idle or cut small thicknesses of wood - might be 4-5-6 amps for a 15A rated saw.

Maximum amps are what the saw can safely draw when heavily loaded. You might approach maximum amps when cutting very thick, dense or wet wood and the blade starts binding.

Vacs are a little different. When running with the hose unblocked, they are usually drawing close to their maximum amps.

If using a Vac with an autoswitch and a saw, and the combination's max amps adds up to more than 20 amps, there is no absolute that the combo will trip a 15A breaker. It depends on how heavily the saw is loaded... with light cutting loads it is probably that it won't. But get into some tough cutting you'll won't be able to get maximum power from your saw for very long because the breaker will start tripping.

Thanks for the info. I thought the 15A was the 'running amps' figure.. and startup would be higher than that.

I know they stress keeping under 1000watts with this unit whereas the Fein allows up to 2000watts. There is no way for me to know if this is just them being legally cautious or not. I hesitate to try it with more.. as I don't think I can open it up to change any internal fuse it might have.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by PALefty
      Thanks for the info. I thought the 15A was the 'running amps' figure.. and startup would be higher than that.

I know they stress keeping under 1000watts with this unit whereas the Fein allows up to 2000watts. There is no way for me to know if this is just them being legally cautious or not. I hesitate to try it with more.. as I don't think I can open it up to change any internal fuse it might have.
      Startup will probably be 50-60 amps or more.
      With the auto switch in a Vac, the probable damage is the sensing circuits or the wiring or the contacts in the output to the tool. You risk burning up the wire or the contacts if they rated for 1000 watts (about 8.5 amps) and you continuously draw 10-15 amps through it. No telling if they have a fuse or not on the tool outlet.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...