X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PALefty
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006

HF Wet/Dry Vac

Has anybody tried this HF vac? It may not be Festool/Fein quality.. but for $60 after discount, it may be worth a look. Is it quiet? It has a built in outlet... but doesn't state if it has auto-start. Do better filters from other manufacturers fit this unit?

25A startup seems a tad high.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by PALefty
    Has anybody tried this HF vac? It may not be Festool/Fein quality.. but for $60 after discount, it may be worth a look. Is it quiet? It has a built in outlet... but doesn't state if it has auto-start. Do better filters from other manufacturers fit this unit?

25A startup seems a tad high.
    Starting current is typically 5-10 times the runing current.
    Anyway, that's where they get the 3.5 peak HP claim.
    I don't see an outlet mentioned in the linked page.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dwlind
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2006

If you download the manual from the above linked page it does say the auxiliary electrical outlet does have the auto start feature. Check the specifications on page 2 of the manual.

Doug

Comment

• PALefty
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006

I didn't notice the download link... thx.

I just saw it in my local HF when I was looking for something to use my coupon on. Since I was about to pick up a Fein this weekend.. I thought I would check into this first (@ 1/3 - 1/4 the cost). I saw the outlet and it displayed 1000 watts on the front of it. I am sure it has a cheapo filter on it (like the DC).. but if you replace it with a good one.. maybe there is potential.

Do similar units such as the Fein list a high amperage like that? I am worried I will trip the breaker every time I try to use it. I only have two outlets in my basement.. and I think they are all 15A.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I didn't notice the download link... thx.

I just saw it in my local HF when I was looking for something to use my coupon on. Since I was about to pick up a Fein this weekend.. I thought I would check into this first (@ 1/3 - 1/4 the cost). I saw the outlet and it displayed 1000 watts on the front of it. I am sure it has a cheapo filter on it (like the DC).. but if you replace it with a good one.. maybe there is potential.

Do similar units such as the Fein list a high amperage like that? I am worried I will trip the breaker every time I try to use it. I only have two outlets in my basement.. and I think they are all 15A.

A motor start current of 25+ Amps will not trip a normal residential breaker... the breakers are designed to allow motors to start w/o tripping and allow short overcurrent pulses but will always trip on sustained overcurrents. My DC draws a starting current of 70+ Amps (15 Amps running) and does not trip the breaker.

Two outlets (simgle duplex pair outlet?) on one breaker or two outlet pairs on different breakers?

1000 W on the "auto" sensing outlet limits you to small handheld tools of ~8 Amps max, no table saws...
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• PALefty
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            A motor start current of 25+ Amps will not trip a normal residential breaker... the breakers are designed to allow motors to start w/o tripping and allow short overcurrent pulses but will always trip on sustained overcurrents. My DC draws a starting current of 70+ Amps (15 Amps running) and does not trip the breaker.

Two outlets (simgle duplex pair outlet?) on one breaker or two outlet pairs on different breakers?

1000 W on the "auto" sensing outlet limits you to small handheld tools of ~8 Amps max, no table saws...
            They are on different outlets. Unfortunately, not very handy. One is used by the sump pump (which I have never heard turn on). The other is by the breaker box. I have to run a long extension cord to do anything. I do have a problem with the breaker going off quite a bit. I have a halogen light that always trips it. My bandsaw will on occasion.

8A.. that means I wouldn't be able to run my PC circ saw thru it. How many amps can the fein handle?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

I have another question on it. From what I am seeing, this looks like a standard vac, with an auto switch. I believe it is a normal motor, NOT quiet, and Not getting air from a seperate source, like the Fein. Anyone else know?
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

They are on different outlets. Unfortunately, not very handy. One is used by the sump pump (which I have never heard turn on). The other is by the breaker box. I have to run a long extension cord to do anything. I do have a problem with the breaker going off quite a bit. I have a halogen light that always trips it. My bandsaw will on occasion.

8A.. that means I wouldn't be able to run my PC circ saw thru it. How many amps can the fein handle?

I don't know about amps, but I know it can handle at least an 8 1/4" circular saw (meaning I don't know if your PC is a larger, 10"). You can find the Fein being used in pictures with different circular saws and routers over at Eurekazone.com.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• PALefty
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                  and Not getting air from a seperate source, like the Fein.
                  That was something I wanted to check into as well. Certainly a good feature to have...

Comment

• PALefty
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    I don't know about amps, but I know it can handle at least an 8 1/4" circular saw (meaning I don't know if your PC is a larger, 10"). You can find the Fein being used in pictures with different circular saws and routers over at Eurekazone.com.
                    Yes, it is standard 7 1/4 CS.. PC 424Mag.... which I believe is 15A.

Comment

• PALefty
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2006

This discussion made me curious about the ratings of the fein. According to the literature, the Fein plug is rated at 40-2000 watts (.3-19 amps). I wasn't able to find out how many amps the fein itself requires.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

By looking at Amazon, it appears the Feins (Turbo and Turbo II) are 8 and 9 1/2 amps respectivaly.

Comment

• PALefty
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2006

hmmm... seems I may have breaker problems whichever way I go (using a 15A CS). I find it hard to believe the people who are using this with their CS need more than a 20A breaker. It must be the difference between the start-up amps and the continuous amps.

Comment

• PALefty
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2006

Well... I ended up picking up the HF model. I figured for $49 (after coupon), it was cheap enough that I could use it around the basement even if I later spring for the Fein... or maybe someday the Festool. I have to say, I am actually impressed so far. I have never heard the big boys run.. but when I turned this on, it was noticeably quieter than my crapsman and even my hoover vacuum. It also comes with a generous 10' hose among other attachments and it seems to have pretty good suction. The only downside I see so far.. is that the 1000watt auxiliary port is 1/2 that of the Fein and only useable for smaller hand tools. I will pick up an external adapter to allow me to use this with my 15A circ saw. I will also compare the filter againt the competitors to see if I can replace it with a .1 micron or HEPA.

I have never read on these boards anybody recommending this model. I believe it is a pretty new offering from HF and I may be the first one here to try it. I picked up a 1yr warranty ($11) just in case the motor gives up the ghost.

edit- I took a listen again this morning.... and I just wanted to clarify that this is not sooo queit that you can't hear it (as in the original post). You can certainly hear it running. However, it is not as obnoxoiusly loud as many of the wet/dry vacs I am used to. It is much more muffled.

edit#2- one other feature that this does not have (that I can tell) which the Fein/Festool does (not sure about Ridgid).. is a separate fan for the motor.
                            Last edited by PALefty; 03-08-2007, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

hmmm... seems I may have breaker problems whichever way I go (using a 15A CS). I find it hard to believe the people who are using this with their CS need more than a 20A breaker. It must be the difference between the start-up amps and the continuous amps.
                              there's a difference between starting amps, running amps and maximum amps.

Starting amps are usually 6-10 times the maximum amps but only lasts a very small fraction of a second, not long enough to trip standard breakers (by design).

Running amps are what it takes to idle or cut small thicknesses of wood - might be 4-5-6 amps for a 15A rated saw.

Maximum amps are what the saw can safely draw when heavily loaded. You might approach maximum amps when cutting very thick, dense or wet wood and the blade starts binding.

Vacs are a little different. When running with the hose unblocked, they are usually drawing close to their maximum amps.

If using a Vac with an autoswitch and a saw, and the combination's max amps adds up to more than 20 amps, there is no absolute that the combo will trip a 15A breaker. It depends on how heavily the saw is loaded... with light cutting loads it is probably that it won't. But get into some tough cutting you'll won't be able to get maximum power from your saw for very long because the breaker will start tripping.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...