• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rosesunkist
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • LaVernia, TX
    • BT3100

Personally, I keep all the cases I get. Tools I don't use every day I leave in the case, but like my cordless drill, some never see the case. I like the cases because it obligates me to clean the tool real good before storing it away until next time. Even if the next time is later that day. And, yeah, I have a TINY shop- a 6x10 shed, most of which is storage. My open floor space is about 20 sq ft in an L shape.
    Just think of something witty and pretend you saw it here.

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by LarryG
      I call it my, uh, my ... um ... shop purse.
      It's OK, Larry. Once in a while we need to get in touch with our polyethylene side.
      The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

Originally posted by ChrisD
        It's OK, Larry. Once in a while we need to get in touch with our polyethylene side.
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
        ROTFLMAO
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by MilDoc
          LARRY! It's a shop TOTE!
          No No NO! It's a European Carry-all!

Comment

• lrr
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Fort Collins, Colorado
            • Ryobi BT-3100

Some of the small cases are fine, such as for my collection of air nailers. But, the big combo case I got for cordless circular saw and drill, plus charger, etc. is just too big to be of any use, and my drill gets used ALL the time, so I am never going to put it in a case.

I'd like to see a delete option on these big cases. I like the bags that come with some Ridgid tools -- but I just do not haul my tools out of my home, some usually just get hauled to another room in the house for a remodel project. But for that, I have a big tool bucket -- I do not see myself hauling a bunch of plastic cases.
            Last edited by lrr; 03-04-2007, 09:59 AM.
            Lee

Comment

• Mar 2004
              • Northern NJ, USA.
              • BT3100

actually use them, mostly.

I actually use them and like em, they provide a place to keep everything in one place and allow for stacking or etc. I don't do it much for keeping dust out or protectign the tool, but more for organizing purpsoes. Now, with that said, using them doesn't mean actually putting them back after each use. Instead, they go back into their cases a few days to a week after the whole job i took them out for is done, even if their use on that job was several weeks earlier!!!

may Kirby never see my shop.

curt j.
              A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• compgodjds
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2006

Funny story after reading this thread, I decided to go through my tool cases and see which ones I needed. I threw away my circular saw case, my drill cases and my cheapy craftsman router case. They only held the tools and no accessories so I threw them away, but kept my hitachi router case because it hold all the small accessories. They were on top of the garbage can when I took it out to the curb and I went out an hour later to throw something else away and someone had taken the holders out of my garbage can. I though that was funny.

Comment

• Deadhead
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
                  • BT3100

I keep the tool in the case. My tools go in the truck fairly often so they are good for transporting. That's probably the #1 reason for me having the case. Also, it makes it easy to see if I've got everything I need before leaving the house. My favorite is the case for the Bosch multi-base router. Wrenches, instructions, 1/4" collet, all stay with the router. Plus it has spots for other accessories and bits.

If/when I ever get a dedicated shop space, the cases - with the tools in them - will go up on high shelves so I can see and reach them. No sense building drawers to keep them clean and organized when the case does that for me. And when it's time to take the show on the road, it's just a matter of doing a "grab and go".
                  "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by compgodjds
                    Funny story after reading this thread, I decided to go through my tool cases and see which ones I needed. I threw away my circular saw case, my drill cases and my cheapy craftsman router case. They only held the tools and no accessories so I threw them away, but kept my hitachi router case because it hold all the small accessories. They were on top of the garbage can when I took it out to the curb and I went out an hour later to throw something else away and someone had taken the holders out of my garbage can. I though that was funny.
                    They'll be back tonight for the rest of the kit.
                    Better install new locks, set the alarm, and put the dog in the shop tonight.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lrr
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Fort Collins, Colorado
                      • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by compgodjds
                      Yesterday a friend told me he has a neighbor that was not sure what to do with an old water heater. He put it in the box of the new water heater, and left it in his truck in a giant parking lot. It was gone before too long.

Great way to recycle!

Lee

Comment

• mater
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • SC, USA.

Originally posted by lrr
                        Yesterday a friend told me he has a neighbor that was not sure what to do with an old water heater. He put it in the box of the new water heater, and left it in his truck in a giant parking lot. It was gone before too long.

Great way to recycle!

Someone got a good surprise.
                        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• bthere
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Alpharetta, GA

Hey, for any of you guys that want to get rid of your case for a Porter Cable right blade saw (324, 325 Mag) I would prefer one over the bag that mine came in. Let me know if you have one, especially if you're close to the Atlanta area.

Comment

• smorris
                            • Apr 2003
                            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I save the cases and use them when I am transporting to work on the boat. Maybe they'll float for a few seconds if I drop them inside a closed case.
                            --
                            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• davidtu
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Seattle, WA
                              • BT3100

I can't throw away a perfectly good case. In fact, if you have cases, let me know when you get to the point of giving them away (am also cheap ).

If you have case for a Rigid 15ga straight finish nailer or similar, let me know!

Btw, I posted a thread today on Bargain Alerts (before seeing this one) asking how much value you assign in $$$ to a case for small power tools...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=30134
                              Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• stmfitr636
                                Forum Newbie
                                • May 2006

My company normally throws out 80% of the cases we have for our tools. Only hammer drill cases get saved to store bits. Every other case (cordless drills, bandsaws, grinders, drills) get tossed. Mostly after one job.

I give them no added value to a tool purchase. If I was looking for a particular box for a tool... maybe $5-10. If I was looking for some storage for bits or screws... <$5.

I, personally, find them bulky and I'm too lazy to use them.

Comment

Working...