• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Plastic Carrying cases for tools

So I'm in the process of building my shop. In doing so, I've accuired many new tools that come with a nice molded plastic carrying case. How many of you keep the cases, and do you keep the tool in the case whenever you're not using it? There have been several times I've grabbed my ROS, and of course I have to take it out of the case first. Same thing for my 1617 Bosch router, my corded drill, my jigsaw, biscuit joiner, saber saw, circular saw... well I think you get the point.

I'm kinda torn as to if I store the tools in the cases. My dust collection is limited, so the cases protect the tools and keeps them clean. The cases also give a space for the accessorys to be stored. However, I also find it a more pain in the butt to have to take the tool out and then "repackage" it in the case...

What do you guys do?
    I throw discard them or sell them
    13.18%
    I keep the cases, but I don't store the tools in them unless I'm taking the tools to a jobsite
    11.24%
    I keep the cases, and store the tools in them when they aren't being used
    44.96%
    It depends on the specific tool
    30.23%
    None of the above
    0.39%
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

I used to think they were a good thing to have. And for transporting tools, I love them. But now, I find they just add to the clutter and have them in a pile with a couple tools I plan on selling. I'm starting the process of building shop cabinets that will store all my tools to keep dust at bay, and All my corded tools will be getting bobbed (Cord cut to about 1 foot in length = less trouble storing them) soon too.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I voted for "keep and store" (third choice), but that may change in future. Right now, my shop is in an uninsulated building that is incredibly damp and which is also, apparently, the known universe's foremost breeding ground for spiders. Having no other enclosed place in which to store my power tools when not in use, they go back into their cases each night. (The only exceptions are those tools for which I never had a case: circular saw, jig saw, belt sander, jitterbug sander, corded drill. And yes, the spiders have a frakkin' field day with these.)

When I get moved into my new space, however, I will finally have room for some shop cabinets in which I can store things without worry.

I still won't dispose of the cases, though. I'm one of those people who never throws anything away.
      Larry

Comment

• ChrisD
        • Dec 2004
        • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Big Guy,

Whether a tool comes with a plastic case actually is a pretty big part of my criteria when deciding on a purchase. I have a very small shop that I need to keep as clutter-free as possible so I can get maximum enjoyment out of my precious little playtime. That far outweighs the "chore" of having to take the tool out of the case when I need it and put it back in when I'm done.

I have one dedicated cabinet where all these cases go.
        The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• jrnewhall
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2005
          • Rochester, NY.
          • Ryobi 3100

I probably should have checked "It depends" instead of "I keep them without the tools." I was thinking about the case that came with the Dewalt two base router that came with a case. Of course it also came with a coupon for the third base that doesn't fit in the case. That case just sits in the corner with a couple of parts in it. The smaller tools like the ROS stay in the case. the router case is just too big to be useful.

~JRN

Comment

• bthere
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Alpharetta, GA

I generally prefer having the cases. It gives me a good way to store and organize the tools. As a matter of fact, I've purchased some clear Rubbermaid plastic containers to keep some miscellaneous tools I've gotten like an old 1/4 sheet sander, a couple drill motors, etc.

The plastic containers allows you to pack the tools and their accessories in a confined space fairly efficiently. The tools I use most often tend to be sitting on a table I have in the shop, while those used less often will go back in the case and on the rolling tool shelf that I have. Of course, there is nothing like the plastic or metal containers for protecting the tools while traveling with them.

By the way, the bags that are becoming more popular tend to be a pain for me. They always seem to be just a little smaller than you would want, making them hard to close. Compared to hard cases, they don't do a great job of protecting your tools, either.

Comment

• Tequila
              • Aug 2004
              • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Totally depends on the tool and the case. Tools I don't use all the time (like my power planer) or tools that have a case that holds accessories (like PC nailers) stay in the case. Tools that I use all the time or that need more accessories (sanders & drills for example) stay out of the cases.
              -Joe

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

I keep all my cases, including ones for the tools I leave out (most often used). I am starting to keep my eyes out for other cases, to donate to a cause.
                We've found a fake projector (like the high dollar tv projectors), and a deal 22" lcd moniter, and they have a few cases, that are used by a department of my bil's police force, in sting operations. So occasionally I get asked.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I forgot to mention in my first reply that another reason I retain all cases is that in the event I ever sell something, having the original case might become an attractive selling point. It could also make the tool easier to ship: just find a box big enough to accept the case, knowing that most of the work of protecting the tool will be done by the case itself.

And thinking about it some more, I will likely follow an approach more like Joe's even after I get some cabinets built in my new space. Tools and their accessories that get infrequent use will probably go into a bin or drawer, case and all. I'll have to store the case somewhere, so it might as well be right there with the tool.

But heavily-used stuff like routers will be stored "loose," ready to grab-and-go. Accessories will be in the same drawer or compartment, also loose. (One annoyance with many cases, especially those for routers, is the need to break down all the accessories and return them to their dedicated storage slots, otherwise the case won't close.)
                  Larry

Comment

• mschrank
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Hood River, OR, USA.
                    • BT3000

This is a timely topic for me. I just got a new DeWalt drill/driver, and of course it came with a case. I have two huge drawers dedicated for storing hand power tools, but for some reason I keep the cases. But I'm running out of room for the useless things. My hand power tools rarely leave the shop, and when they do, I never think to dig through the pile of cases to get the one I want.

They would never fit in the drawers in the cases...so I don't know what to do with these things. I'm one of those people who immediately regret throwing something away....that's why I still have them.
                    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Popeye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Woodbine, Ga
                      • Grizzly 1023SL

I used to keep. You know, thinking "whoa that's just too nice a case to just toss" But they take up alot of space and I always end up putting tools in a drawer.... so they don't take up so much space.... but the cases still there. Now I toss them. If I have a choice with a tool of "with or without" a case I get the without. There is one exception and that's the reciprocating saw. Don't use it often and the case isn't much bigger than the saw itself. Pat
                      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Yeah, I'm kinda torn on the issue. I think my corded Rigid drill is going to be taken out of the case for good. If I'm going out of the shop I can use my cordless for 95&#37; of those jobs. Things like the reciprocating saw is only going to be used outside of the shop, so I see keeping that case. Now my router I'm unsure of. I'm thinking it'll end up like the drill and stay out of the case... But some I don't know if the case is just taking up space, or if I'll eventually need it down the road.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Liberty, SC, USA.
                          • Ridgid TS3650

I toss them. The power tools are kept in cabinets when not being used.

Comment

• TheRic
                            • Jun 2004
                            • West Central Ohio
                            • bt3100

I keep 90% of my tools in the their cases. The other 10% (like my cordless drill, and impact driver, etc) are always being used, so it's not worth the hassle to put them away.

If I know 100% I'm going to be using the tool later today, or the next day I'll leave it out. If in doubt I put it back in it's case and back on the shelf.
                            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                              • BT3100

the cases look so good to throw away! since i am just getting into getting more and more tools, the boxes are starting to get over overwhelming. the whole time i am using the for the duration of the project, they are out. they only go back once i get done with them completely, but packing is becoming a pain aswell. 10 years down the road, when i am completely fed up, i may end up doing what Russianwolf is think of doing. but for now, the boxes stay

why cant they just make boxes that just fit the tool?

Comment

Working...