• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

testing Denali Protractor vs. Wixey tilt Angle gauge

while we're on making measurments I took some data on the Wixey tilt angle gauge and the Denali Protractor. They are a little different from each other but do measure a common value.

The first plot shows the angle devices vs. drafting triangle(s). I used several triangles and they all read the same which I'll make the assumption that means they are both consistent and accurate. If they were not accurate, they would likely not have been consistent, either.

It shows that the Wixey is at least spot on at the standard drafting angles and that the Denali is only .1 degree off on some.

The second plot shows the relative measurements of the Wixey vs. the Denali. I placed the Denali on a flat table, and fastened the Wixey to the arm folded flat (0&#176, then zeroed the Wixey. I then raised the arm and read both gauges over a range of 0-180°. The X-scale represents the reading (in degrees) of the Denali. The right scale and the wavy line show the relative error between the Wixey and the Denali, surprisingly it sort of bounced all over the place, the good news being it was much less than +/- 1 degree.

CONCLUSION: The Wixey and Denali both read angles with resolution of 0.1° and accuracy much better than 1°. Their relative errors over 180 degrees was +/-.5°
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-06-2007, 01:21 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Nice report, Loring. Perhaps you could comment on which situations would be best or worst for each tool, how much they each cost, and how well they look like they'll hold up?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• boblon
      • Aug 2003
      • Florida, USA.

Ya know I bought a Wixey as a goof, but have really grown to like it.

A lot less squinting and a lot quicker accuracy since I've gotten it.

BobL.
      "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dlminehart
        Nice report, Loring. Perhaps you could comment on which situations would be best or worst for each tool, how much they each cost, and how well they look like they'll hold up?
        Wixey - $40 from www.wixey.com with free shipping now.
        Pros - magnetic base, zeroing capability make it ideal for setting table saw blade angle for example. Compact size; fits in pocket.
        Cons - short base line make it difficult to line up to measure some objects, pendulem movement allows you to only measure in the vertical plane.

Denali - $24.95 from www.Amazon.com plus shipping or spend another nickel and get free shipping. [p.s. jan 6 the price at Amazon jumped to $29.99 - sorry]
        Pros - long baseline and rotating blade makes it possible to measure objects that can't be rotated to vertical and maybe have a little uneven sides. Also possible to set an angle on the blade and then use it to mark your workpiece to cut a certain angle.
        Cons - No zero for measuring relative angles. large size.

To differentiate them I would call the Wixey a Tilt Angle Indicator and I call the Denali a Protractor.

Example 1: I find the Wixey ideal for measuring the bevel of the saw blade - zero to the table and then attach the short baseline to the side of the extended blade.

Example 2: I find the Denali the best way to set or check the angle of the miter fence - the long base against the fence and the blade against the blade lying flat on the table.

Example 3: the Denali would be the way to directly measure the angle of a assembly someone gave you... you could use the Wixey (zero the base, stand the angle up and measure the slope) but some items can't be moved and/or the ability to stand it perfectly upright and not lean forwards or backwards would introduce some errors into the measurement.

As for how they'll hold up, each seems to be made of quality materials, the Denali fit and finish seem to be a bit better. The Wixey must have an internal pendulum movement, they describe it as a rotating counterweight that could stick, whereas the moving part of the Denali is visible and accessible - the blade is physically connected to the internal part that measures. Both use a rotary equivalent of the digital caliper technology - capacitively coupled etched grid patterns one fixed, the other moving, to discern movement and amounts.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-06-2007, 10:15 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• whitecobra
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006
          • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
          • BT3K with most accessories

Loring
          Hold on a bit Wixey is coming out with the protractor so you can compare apples to apples

I use both the angel gauge AND the table saw fence and love them both

He has some new stuff coming out so wait for it

Dr Dave
          Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
          www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• dlminehart
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • San Jose, CA, USA.

Thanks again, Loring! Very useful info.
            - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• PALefty
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006

HF Version

I saw my local HF now carries a Cen-Tech clone of the Denali 'on sale' for the same price ($29.99). I am not sure if it is exactly the same or the accuracy.. but it sure looks the same to me.

linky

I have a coupon to use up this weekend and was considering it. Anybody use one?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Cen tech

Saw that last night at my local one. They had it at $45.99, and the other HF website, has it at $39.99.

Granted, these do % of a degree, and probably figure the centers for you, but as mine is still more of a layout tools (carpentry still), I went low tech. I use my bevel gauge, then picked up a HF#94963 for setting repeat angles.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...