• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Brian, you've come to a point in your life where you may actually have to make something.

If you get free logs them a the lumber mill mentioned might be worthwhile.
    If you want to get into turning that'll take a bunch of stuff - lathes chucks, turning tools.

Maybe take your money and buy some wood!
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bigsteel15
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Edmonton, AB
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      Brian, you've come to a point in your life where you may actually have to make something.

If you get free logs them a the lumber mill mentioned might be worthwhile.
      If you want to get into turning that'll take a bunch of stuff - lathes chucks, turning tools.

Maybe take your money and buy some wood!
      Everyone seems to agree on that point. I really don't have a lot of room for wood storage. Probably because I've got too many tools.
      I have a rack full of maple, beech and oak 4x4 left from a trim/railing company ($1/bdft). Some will likely be my stair rail spindles if I ever get the nerve to tear out a wall and put up a railing.
      Brian

Welcome to the school of life
      Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Holbren
        • Oct 2004
        • Heathrow, FL.

I think you should buy $1500 worth of router bits.
        Brian
        Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        www.holbren.com

Comment

• bigsteel15
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Edmonton, AB
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Holbren
          I think you should buy $1500 worth of router bits.
          Don't tempt me.
          Don't forget the new Shark Guard and 5 year supply of t-nuts.
          Brian

Comment

• wardprobst
            • Jan 2006
            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
            • Craftsman 22811

I really like my Veritas planes- the ones I use most are the scrub, low angle block, smooth and jointer. My next one is the router. They are consistently the best hand tools I own.
            DP
            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

Yeah, me also for the bosch router motor only! I have a FX lift, and I take the motor out at this point for the plunge base.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

$ to spend? hum???

how about a good stock of some nice oak, cherry, walnut, birch, maple, or
                baltic birch plywood ? everytime I get near some of this material I seem to
                hear a small voice calling me over to look at what is available......
                eezlock

Comment

• bigsteel15
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Edmonton, AB
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by eezlock
                  how about a good stock of some nice oak, cherry, walnut, birch, maple, or
                  baltic birch plywood ? everytime I get near some of this material I seem to
                  hear a small voice calling me over to look at what is available......
                  eezlock
                  Wood storage is an issue for me. I have good source of BB.
                  Also, the prices up here are kinda high. $60 for 3/4" BB. Specialty stores only for HW and they charge prices that seem very high compared to what some of you guys pay, especially in the east.
                  I do have a line on cabinet shop drops but suspect those are very limited sizes and more for small projects.
                  I need to go get the cherry for the bed soon. Probably $6-800 right there.
                  I think I'll build the toy boxes first.

I believe you all have convinced me to calm it down on the tool end of things. Common sense says you're right.
                  If a good deal is to be had at the wood show the end of the month though, watch for the gloat.
                  Brian

Comment

• onedash
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Maryland
                    • Craftsman 22124

Here is where I go wrong everytime.....I am in the process of building something....I say I need a XXXX. Wife says no....I manage to get it done using something else and point out how much better or easier or faster it would have been if I had a XXXX.....Then she caves and I get it...Well the project I was working on when I needed it is done and the project I am working on when I finally get it doesn't require it but I figure I will need it again sooner or later....But then I need a new XXXX for the current project...THe wife says you just got the other thing.....Im pretty set now...I still would like a BS and maybe a Lathe down the road but other that Im pretty set. Well a PC 6" ROS to buff the car and sand stuff will probably be my next tool.
                    Im currently bugging her for a Digital SLR. Got a 12% off coupon and Double reward zone points for Best Buy. We'll see how that works out....If it goes on sale Sunday (I doubt it) I might be able to break her....

Since $$$ doesn't seem to be stopping you wait until you get to a point that you NEED something or that will help your project along and go get that....
                    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Russell, NY, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Wow!. Can I come and play in your shop? Thought I had a lot of stuff. Hmm, think again. Just remember: "The guy that dies with the most tools, Wins!"
                      RuffSawn
                      Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• vaking
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Brian,
                        Collecting tools and woodworking are two different hobbies. If you are into tool collecting - select your purchases based on which tool is the most unique, looks best in display case, has the highest collectable value. It has nothing to do with what tools do.
                        If you are into woodworking - save the money and make (not buy) something for your wife - you would not have had the tools you have now without her support.
                        Alex V

Comment

• Tom Miller
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Twin Cities, MN
                          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

A good "first" plane from Veritas is the low angle Jack. It's a bevel-up plane, so you don't need to worry about chip breaker fitting, frog adjusting, mouth opening as an indirect consequence of the first two, etc.

It's a great plane for use with a shooting board (you can tune your joints to perfection), it's great on end grain, and with the optional high angle blade, it's great as a smoother.

That's assuming you have a reasonable block plane already. Otherwise, get one of those, too.

Regards,
                          Tom

Comment

Working...