• Show
Clear All
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Got the urge and $ to buy something

So it's that time of year when I find myself able to afford pretty much whatever I want and not feel guilt about it.
    I'm going to be a good boy though and limit myself in $ to spend.

So here's what I have. All tools are 1 year or less old.

6" Delta jointer
    13" Delta planer
    14" import bandsaw with riser and stock fence
    PC DT jig
    routers
    BT3 with all the extras I could ever need and a few primo blades
    Taig lathe
    12" Ryobi drill press
    orbital sander, palm sander, belt sander
    Ridgid OSS
    PC biscuit joiner
    EDIT:
    Hitachi 12" CMS
    Craftsman RAS

Here's what I'm thinking.
    $1000-1500 should get me 2 or 3 of the following:

1. new BT3 (to fit beside existing on portable cabinet already built)
    2. Jointech Cabinetmaker jointing system
    3. Kreg bandsaw fence with attachments
    4. Truclamp Pro 100" cutting system
    5. Stockroom Suppply drum sander kit
    6. Veritas plane (suggestions here please)
    7. PSI VSpro lathe with Nova Chuck
    8. Woodrat...long shot here.
    9. Leigh D4R jig...I really like the templates and such and feel I made a mistake not saving my money when I bought the PC.
    10. Lathe tools
    11. Little Ripper to mill free logs

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by bigsteel15; 10-04-2006, 12:03 PM.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Your decision making should be directed towards where your interest is. Just having one of everything is great, but if you can't decide, and you have a project that requires a certain tool, that's the one. You might be best to sit on your money temporarily and see where your skills want to go.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• messmaker
      Veteran Member
      • May 2004
      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
      • Ridgid 2424

Lathe and Trueclamp.
      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

No lumber!?

JR
        JR

Comment

• ChrisD
          • Dec 2004
          • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by JR
          No lumber!?

JR
          Seriously I would consider allocating a portion of that fortune to some nice stock, unless it's so cheap where you get it that it's not something you need to save up for.

One of the best tool purchase decisions I have ever made was to get a mortiser. Just a suggestion in case the Woodrat dream does not materialize. I also got a Kreg fence soon after getting a bandsaw. Never regretted it. I'll let the experts weigh in on what handplane(s) to get. It would help to know what you already have though.

Otherwise, I agree with C-man. Let your skills and project plans dictate where to put your cash.
          The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• bmyers
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Fishkill, NY
            • bt 3100

Tell us more of what you want to do in addition to your wish list. If making bowls for presents this year is near the top of the list then buying a Jointech isn't a good suggestion for you.

But lack of information never stopped me from commenting before so here goes..

If you want to make blanket chests / etc with really cool joinery, get the Leigh.

If you want to make smaller jewelry boxes/ etc with really cool joinery, get the Jointech.

Kreg fence: Nice, not really expensive. Simple enough to make for "shop-built"

Midi Lathe: Love mine though I already had a full size lathe. You can make small things on a big lathe...

Woodrat: If I win lotto and buy 1 of every tool, I would include this. But, I don't play lotto..

Drum sander: Built my own, works AWESOME...

Little Ripper: Would love to have one at my cabin. 150 acres of free wood waiting for me there. If you have lots of free wood and a chainsaw/ripper chain, go for it..

Truclamp Pro 100: Great for mitered joinery but not real useful if you're doing Jointech/Leigh joinery.
            "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• mschrank
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2004
              • Hood River, OR, USA.
              • BT3000

Originally posted by bigsteel15
              So it's that time of year when I find myself able to afford pretty much whatever I want and not feel guilt about it.
              HEY! That time of year never comes for me...maybe it's a Canadian thing
              Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• bigsteel15
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Edmonton, AB
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by ChrisD
                Seriously I would consider allocating a portion of that fortune to some nice stock, unless it's so cheap where you get it that it's not something you need to save up for.

One of the best tool purchase decisions I have ever made was to get a mortiser. Just a suggestion in case the Woodrat dream does not materialize. I also got a Kreg fence soon after getting a bandsaw. Never regretted it. I'll let the experts weigh in on what handplane(s) to get. It would help to know what you already have though.

Otherwise, I agree with C-man. Let your skills and project plans dictate where to put your cash.
                I do agree with c-man and don't laugh but that pen I posted the other day is my first "completed" project of any kind aside from some shop cabinets.
                The first major thing is a king size bed. The lathe would come in handy if I decide to go with cherry otherwise I have oak posts already. Second and also before x-mas is (3) toy boxes. 1 for me and 2 for a buddy that will help. The Leigh would make those really nice I suppose since the pine hobby boards (bad Brian bought them 3 yrs ago) are 24" wide.
                After that I have a couple buds that have already asked me to build various cabinets and display cases for them as well as the trim on my friends bar.. And of course the honey-do list will only get longer.
                I turned 1 pen and am already addicted. Plus that 3-sided bowl that the Sorby guy turned was really cool. Turning will likely be what I do when I need a break from flat work.

Originally posted by mschrank
                HEY! That time of year never comes for me...maybe it's a Canadian thing
                My boss likes to keep salaries managable and "top up" come year end. It's always a really good topper and this year is the best yet.
                Brian

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

How about a Dewalt 3 Base Router Kit?

Comment

• bigsteel15
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Edmonton, AB
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                    How about a Dewalt 3 Base Router Kit?
                    LOL. That doesn't count.
                    I'm a sucker for a great deal and am addicted to routers.

BTW, if you come across a bosch 1617VS motor only for good price let me know.
                    Brian

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by bigsteel15
                      LOL. That doesn't count.
                      I'm a sucker for a great deal and am addicted to routers.

BTW, if you come across a bosch 1617VS motor only for good price let me know.
                      The Dewalt kit is number 4 for me, so I know where you are coming from.

Your problem on the 1617VS motor only is the whole Canada thing. Otherwise you could catch the 1617EVSKE kit on sale at Amazon, sale off all the bases, accessories, etc and net the motor for free.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Oh, and here is my answer on your original question : Don't buy anything.
                        You have advised that you bought all that jazz in the last year and have cranked out 1 turned pen and some shop cabinets!?!?!? How about buying a nice pile of good stock and start sharpening your WW skills? Of course if you have past experience or something then I am wrong here, however before you start banging out public display cases and custom bars you are going to want to have experience not only in construction methods but finishing methods as well.

Before I ramble on too long, what is your WW background/experience?

Comment

• Hoover
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • USA.

I didn't see any dust collection in your post.
                          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• bigsteel15
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Edmonton, AB
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                            Oh, and here is my answer on your original question : Don't buy anything.
                            You have advised that you bought all that jazz in the last year and have cranked out 1 turned pen and some shop cabinets!?!?!? How about buying a nice pile of good stock and start sharpening your WW skills? Of course if you have past experience or something then I am wrong here, however before you start banging out public display cases and custom bars you are going to want to have experience not only in construction methods but finishing methods as well.

Before I ramble on too long, what is your WW background/experience?
                            You got me on that one and this is probably what my friends and family are thinking but won't say.
                            My WW background/experince is limited. I did some really nice stuff in high school (end table I still have, chess table since given to a friend)and made my M&D a nice corner shelf unit about 6 yrs ago with VERY limited tools (TS, BS, DP) that turned out really nice.
                            That said, you are probably right. My problem is that I LOVE tools and gadgets and I'm an impulse shopper as you well know. You should see my LV online wish list.

Anyways, the bed is the first major project I'm going to tackle and I am extremely picky when it comes to making things. The lumber for that will probably buy me a couple of those tools. I think the lathe and tools might be a necessity.
                            Brian

Comment

• bigsteel15
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • Edmonton, AB
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Hoover
                              I didn't see any dust collection in your post.
                              Oh yeah, already have it.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...