X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisD
    • Dec 2004
    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

What's your best tool score?

Paul's thread on what we hate about woodworking was a good one, and eventually made me ponder on the opposite: what I really liked about it. My pockets are pretty shallow when it comes to tool purchases, so I really like good bargains.

About a year ago, I posted a couple of ads here for several WW machines that belonged to a friend's dad who had passed away. There was a nearly immaculate bandsaw (a US made Delta 28-203) but it was not on the list as I had already gotten first dibs on it. I did quite a bit of research on pricing to make sure my friend got a fair deal on the tools including, of course, the bandsaw. After one afternoon of dusting, taking pics, and finalizing the prices, he told me to take the BS home and that I could pay him when all the others had been sold.

Through craigslist and eBay, we eventually sold all the tools. When I handed him a check for the BS, he told me to cancel it. He said he could not have sold them on his own for half of what we got and that he would like to return the favor. I thought that was awfully nice. I later found out that before our little "joint venture" he had sold his dad's Delta cabinet and contractor saws for $200 and $150.

That's my best tool score. What's yours? It doesn't have to be a great bargain, but definitely one that kept you smiling all day.
    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris
  • djcannon
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • Kennewick, WA
    • BT 3100

Preformmax 16-32 Plus

I was recently given a Preformmax 16-32 Plus from a friend that I have known for a bout a year. He had aquired a 24" drum sander and needed to make room in his shop. I dont have a planer yet but with 36 grit paper it is just as good. And hey nails don't seem to bother it. I've sanded 24 inch wide laminations also it is a awesome tool.

other then that I got my bt3100 for $150 after rebates.

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I got a free laptop for my shop a few years ago.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii
        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

My best recent score is my Blum Minipress, got it free. I got my BT3000 free last year, although it needed some repairs & adjusting it works great. My late father in law gave me his Delta/Rockwell combination 10" TS & 6" jointer 20 yrs. ago it's about 70 or 80 yrs old and still runs great.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hhhmmm....dunno that I have a "best" score but several come to mind:

- Craftsman 22400 BS for $189
          - Craftsman 22124 TS for $594
          - Freud LU88 60T blade for $24
          - Freud FT1700 router for $95
          - lots of free wood, including 100BF of reclaimed wine vat white oak
          - free 80T Leitz blade
          - Delta 22-580 for $229
          - free Sandusky 22" wood plane
          - Bosch/Craftsman 1617EVSK combo for $140
          - Whiteside roundover set for $55
          - Milwaukee 5615 for $89
          - Old Sears contractor saw w/Vega fence for $100
          Last edited by Knottscott; 10-03-2006, 08:21 AM.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

I did alot of horse trading for tools a couple of years ago. "Will work for tools " and got several fair deals for my labor. DP, Jointer and wood. I use these regular but the best deal for the amount of use I get out of it has to be the RAS. Went for a haircut and came home with a good Craftsman RAS for $50. Free table and guard from the safety recall, new blade, works like a champ. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Power: Rockwell Delta 8" jointer at auction for $160

Hand: #2 Stanley, with a #5 and 2 block planes, for $50
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

My wife was browsing Craigslist a few weeks ago and found a posting for a FREE workbench and tools. I made a call and they said that the first person to get there got the stuff, so I was off like a shot.

The workbench isn't anything special, but it will work great as a potting bench for my wife. Among the tools was a nice old Craftsman circular saw, an old Craftsman woodworking vise (very nice), an old Craftsman jigsaw (good shape but not very easy to control). A new Craftsman wobble dado blade and LOTS of other small stuff was also included, about 10 lifetimes worth of small nails and brads.

The guy giving the stuff away was helping his grandmother prepare her home for sale, his grandfather had passed a few years ago and they wanted the tools to go to someone that would use them. I'm very grateful.
                Bill

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

About 6 years ago, we bought a house from an 82 year old lady. In the basement was a Craftsman RAS. Got her to include it in the purchase price for $0 additional dollars. It was in great shape and she even had the owner's manual. A little tune up and it works super.
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Thom2
                    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Stevens, PA, USA.
                    • Craftsman 22124

just remember .... YOU ASKED!!!!

You guys are gonna hate me, but I have a habit of stumbling across deals either for myself or to flip for some "shop bucks" .... here's the highlights ...
                    • (4) PC 1/4 sheet sanders *FREE* (special thanks to Lowe's for screwing up that rebate a few years ago)
                    • 5hp 80g speedaire 2-stage compressor, nearly new condition $75 (flipped it for $500)
                    • 10hp 120g Kellogg 2-stage compressor, very old model *FREE* (flipped for $350)
                    • Ridgid BS, jointer and planer purchased at the same time for 20% off (thanks HD)
                    • (2) 24" Delta/Rockwell Scroll Saws $75/pair (parted out for over $400)
                    • (2) variable frequency drive units *FREE*
                    • Sears Pro dovetail jig $40 (Thanks again to Pappy for that one)
                    • CH 4g 2hp compressor, Paslode Framing Nailer *FREE* (special thanks to the contractor that skipped town in the middle of a buddy's remodel)
                    the MAJOR gloat is coming on Sunday tho' ...... I'm going to take the whole "you suck" thing to the next level with this one ...
                    Last edited by Thom2; 10-03-2006, 08:42 AM.
                    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Otter
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Cumming, GA, USA.
                      • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

My Unisaw

Givin to me by the owner of the company I work for.
                      Attached Files
                      All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• Lance
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2005
                        • Haverhill, MA, USA.

Most recent was a Rockwell Model 10 band saw for $27.

other faveroite deals:
                        Bosch 1617evspke kit for ~$150 (Amazon)
                        Jessem Rout-R-Lift FX for ~$100 (Amazon)
                        Jointech Clincher 1832 for $75 (woodcraft shop clearance)
                        Holbren Dovetail Bits for $32 (iirc)
                        GMC 7 1/4" circularsaw w/laser for $17 (Lowes)
                        Craftsman 6" VS bench grinder for $20 (Sears)
                        Central Mach. 7" rabetting Jointer for $100

Inherited from grandfather's shop
                        Craftsman disk/belt sander & DP
                        Stanley #5 plane
                        Stanely #110 (I think) Block plane
                        Stanley #112 Scraper plane

Some of the ones I let get away:
                        GMC 4" VS Angle Grinder - $29
                        Avenger 7 1/4" Steel Cutting Blade - $21
                        Craftsman 14" Bandsaw - $169
                        And many more!!!
                        Ex-Armchair Woodworker and newb galoot.

Comment

• jseklund
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2006

OK, I'm somewhat of a deal-hunter in my mind- but for some reason only a couple of things come to mind on "tool scores". Hardly any for woodworking, since I've just recently started.

I guess the list may look like this:

3. Husqvarna Snow Blower, $1,000 at Lowes, I paid Lowes $700 and took it home by working the system. Gave it to my dad for Christmas- the thing is a BEAST on snow. I did his driveway once that year. A plow tried to come in and plow but it just piled the snow up about 8 feet high and couldn't go any further. The blower took some exercise but worked like a charm. Would have been a great buy at $1000 at that point.

2. BT3100 AND AP1300 Planer- $310 including tax at HD. The table saw was cleananced for $250, and the planer was $199. I had $400 in gift cards that cost me $320 to buy (Dealpass.com) and then found out the table saw was open boxed. The manager took an extra 20% off ($250 + 199 = $450. $450 X 80% = $360. $360 + 5% sales tax = $388. I paid with gift cards that cost me 80% of face value = $388*80% = $310.40). Not bad I thought for a table saw and planer.

1. The best tools I own- my girlfriend gave me as a christmas present about 2 years ago. It is the 18V cordless drill/reciprocating saw combo kit from Dewalt. I use those tools ALL the time. Especially the drill. You'd be suprised how often you can break out the saw though- it will cut through anything. Last year my dad was trying to cut a tree up that fell during a storm in the driveway of a house they bought to fix and flip. His chainsaw broke and we were 30 minutes from home. I had my drill and saw kit- which I brought just because I may need the drill. I broke out the 18-Volt saw and ALMOST cut through a roughly 16-18" diameter tree with it. The blade just wasn't long enough. Not what the saw was meant for, I know- but I was in a pinch. So, while it's not "free" and was a gift- I think it was a great score.
                          F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• Sawatzky
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2005
                            • CA
                            • Ridgid TS3650

When my grandfather moved out of his house I recieved a bunch of nice hand tools, a nice vintage Craftsman drill and a very nice Speedaire compressor. My father bought me my PC router for Christmas and he also has a nice Rockwell Bandsaw that has not been used in years. Hopefully it will make its way to my shop.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • IL, USA.
                              • DELTA 36-675

Freud LU84R011 blade & V belt for $8.00
                              Freud Lu87R010 & LU88R010 for $8.00
                              Delta 34-183 Tenoning jig for $8.00
                              Freud Router fence for $9.00
                              Rousseau Router lift for $35.00
                              Kreg K3 Master for $65.00
                              Porter Cable PIN Nailer FAR
                              Porter Cable Crown Stapler FAR
                              Makita ROS FAR
                              NIB Porter Cable PC690 router for $20.00
                              Makita 2012NB for $150.00
                              Delta X5 6" Jointer for $300.00 after MIR
                              Delta 17-968 3/4 Horsepower 16-1/2-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press for $300.00
                              Porter Cable 694VK Router for $90.00
                              Delta T2-30 wide table rails for $19.00
                              Delta 36-675 TS for $317.00
                              PC forstner bits $3.00
                              5 NIB Tenryu Blades $15.00
                              Drill Doctor 500X $40.00
                              Ridgid 18V MAX HC Battery -$15.00
                              Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

Working...