Best source for wrenches for table saw/ router?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Best source for wrenches for table saw/ router?

Hello,
    If this is supposed to be in the bargin forum let me know or move it to there. I wasn't sure.

I've bought a lot of used tools, and my Carftsman table saw and PC 7539 router are both missing their wrenches for changing blades/ bits. Where is a place to cheaply pick up those thin steel wrenches? I've been using adjustable ones, but they're a little bulky.

Thanks!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by BigguyZ
    Hello,
    If this is supposed to be in the bargin forum let me know or move it to there. I wasn't sure.

I've bought a lot of used tools, and my Carftsman table saw and PC 7539 router are both missing their wrenches for changing blades/ bits. Where is a place to cheaply pick up those thin steel wrenches? I've been using adjustable ones, but they're a little bulky.

Thanks!
    This is the right forum.

measure the distance across the flats of the nuts - this is the size, watch out they may be metric and some are very close but different. use a set of digital calipers and try both the mm and inches settings to see which comes closer.

If you don't need a skinny flat wrench because of access, the easiest and cheapest source of wrenches is a pawn shop - they are always selling broken (e.g broken set, not functionally broken) sets as individual wrenches for around $0.75 for smaller ones to $1-$2 for larger ones.

if you get a broken or even overly well-used Snap-on or Craftsman or Husky you can trade it in for a good one at the stores since they have lifetime guarantees.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sbs
      Established Member
      • Mar 2005
      • VA
      • BT3.1k

You just want a set, or individuals, of thin open end wrenches. I googled for "thin open end wrench" and got lots of hits. Here's a couple:

http://www.wihatools.com/350mm_wrenches.htm
      http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/skf31je6t.html

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Both the links you gave looked a little high dollar to me. I'm with Loring on this. Best source for single wrenches is the pawn shops.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, I agree. I'm talking about those stamped steel wrenches that some with the saw. Not the mechanics wrenches such as the one listed. I'mm still try the pawn shop though... I'm mostly looking for something thin to reach into the tool fairly easily.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, I agree. I'm talking about those stamped steel wrenches that some with the saw. Not the mechanics wrenches such as the one listed. I'mm still try the pawn shop though... I'm mostly looking for something thin to reach into the tool fairly easily.
            $1 for a pawn shop wrench and ten minutes on the grinder = thin wrench.

just a thought. the most you can lose is $1.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

If you plan on using router in a table (and you probably do with 3HP+ router) than I would consider not a plain wrench but a bent wrench.
              One like this:
              http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?ID=6
              I have one for Hitachi M12V and it allows me to change bits from above the table without any fancy lifts. The place seems to list one for P-C too. Don't know if it is for correct router, but if it is -$20 shipped. More expensive than just wrench but cheaper than a lift.
              Alex V

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

$1 for a pawn shop wrench and ten minutes on the grinder = thin wrench.

just a thought. the most you can lose is $1.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how I made mine. I turned an extra 7/8 wrench into a thin 15/16 in about 5 minutes. Painted it the same color as the router so I can keep it handy.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I may have a Craftsman TS wrench....might even have one that fits your router for free. PM me with the TS model and nut sizes you need.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• sbs
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • VA
                    • BT3.1k

Originally posted by Pappy
                    Both the links you gave looked a little high dollar to me. I'm with Loring on this. Best source for single wrenches is the pawn shops.
                    I was not giving examples of good prices. I just grabbed the first two google links.

I'm not going to sort through a billion hits to find the bargains for the guy he can do that himself if he wants a deal...

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

hit gold!

Originally posted by messmaker

That is exactly how I made mine. I turned an extra 7/8 wrench into a thin 15/16 in about 5 minutes. Painted it the same color as the router so I can keep it handy.
                      Did you mean 'thin 5/16', maybe? never heard of a grinder 'fattening' up anything

I need some 'bent wrenches' myself, and was thinking of heading out to HD or Ace's, hoping to get a couple...anybody thinks that a waste of time and gas?

But the reason is - on my early saturday morning stroll i saw this garage sale, and having read in this forum about great deals at such sales, started rummaging. and i found a Porter-Cable router 6752 along with the 'junk' pile (broken wooden horse, torn apart dolls, used printer cartridges). asked, the lady did not know if it worked, and says 'i would pay you if you take anything from that pile'; so carried it home (no, did not ask her for money )

the only thing missing on that router was a pair of screws - the base plate was hanging on the last one. plugged it in and it buzzed to life with no problems!!

now i finally agree with my wife - early morning walks agree with my health a lot...
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I went to PC's website and ordered some wrenches from them directly. Shipping was a bit much, but less hassle. I also picked up a couple of missing parts, since I bought mine at a pawn shop and never had them to begin with. The wrenches were only $1.43....

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I went to PC's website and ordered some wrenches from them directly <snip> The wrenches were only $1.43....
                          is that porter cable? could you share the link where you were able to purchase directly? i get redirected to 'pick your local retailers' page which lists lowes among others.
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN

You need to click on the parts/ service part on the site. Then you click on the link to DeWalt Service Net. You need to register, but you can order any part online. They even had the exploded diagrams to show what's what....

Here's the direct link.

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/ServiceNet/logon.asp

Comment

• Stick
                              • Sep 2003
                              • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                              • BT3100

That's the trick. Or......maybe even cheaper. remember those bicycle wrenches that fit a bunch of different sizes? Big bulky flat thing? Easily cut down and ground to whatever size you need. Myself, I hate those skinny little wrenches and only use them where absolutely necessary, like the one that holds the arbor on the BT3. I've never used the ones that came with my router or my circular saw. regular wrenches work sooooo much better!

Having said that, i'm spoiled to have oxy/acet and welders and a milling machine. Very very easy to make exactly what you're after when you need something special. I have more custom made wrenches than a snap-on truck. I use a bent wrench on my router when it's on the BT3 or the freestanding table, but from below. I just bent one with the torch then welded a bit longer handle on it.

And BTW, know what works slicker'n deer guts on a doorknob on the BT3 arbor nut and splitter nuts? An offset ratcheting box end wrench. Much better than the crappy ones that come with the saw, and no more skinned knuckles from trying to use a regular combination wrench.
                              Last edited by Stick; 08-11-2006, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Working...