• Show
Clear All
  • vtv010
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Dallas, Tx
    • bt3100-1

Any views/advise on these tools?

Is there such a thing as too old? parts availability is a question, especialy knives for jointers

Thanks!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/180906343.html
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/180897245.html
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/181016704.html
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

If given the choice I would rather find more of an "industrial" series of tools.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Martin
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Carrollton, TX, USA.
      • BT3100; Antique Delta 8" tilting table

Light duty Craftsman jointer-planer

Mine was made by AMT for Craftsman. It worked O.K. for a while. Very light intermittent use. The motor was made in Mexico. I overhauled it one time, couldn't repair it the second time. Wouldn't hold up in the Texas heat in my garage.
      I think I paid about $45 new in the Sears Surplus store.
      INDECISION IS THE KEY TO FLEXIBILITY

Comment

• Tequila
        • Aug 2004
        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I have a Craftsman joiner from my dad that looks just the your last link. I think his price is way out of line for the quality of the tool. I'd recommend spending a few more dollars and getting something better.
        -Joe

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

The band saw would be an ok deal, but not great. Limited height if you get into resawing.

IMO, bench top jointers are a basic waste of money. The table length is too short.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Ken Weaver
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Clemson, SC, USA
            • Rigid TS3650

I agree with Pappy, you won't be pleased with the jointers except for the smallest projects. Bandsaw may not be bad, as long as you stay within its limitations.
            Ken Weaver
            Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Just a note

The ONLY parts that are available from Sears for those jointer is blades and screws. AMT was bought out for their machining, and they pitched the rest.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

personally, I'd avoid all three.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• coach
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2005
                  • Forney, TX.
                  • Powermatic 66

I gotta agree with Loring on this one.

I learned the hard way that I don't make enough money to buy cheap tools.

I'm not suggesting to always get the best-of-the-best. But make sure you get a quality tool that will last the worth of the investment.

As far as jointers. The used marked it getting pretty good for 6", because a lot of home hobbiests are sold that they need an 8". So the 6" used jointer market is getting some good sightings. Short jointers are just no good. You can only joint a piece as flat as the tables allow support, and those little benchtop jobs just don't have a long enough bed to do anything bigger than picture frames. If you have to decide between small jointer and no jointer; I'd suggest no jointer. You might as well get s2s lumber and save yourself the frustration.

If you need a bandsaw, get a good bandsaw. There are sometimes good deals on the used market..... but most people get one they like and keep it. I'll be posting my HF 14" bandsaw someday (soon I hope). It is a fairly good bandsaw (that often goes onsale for under $250), so buying it new isn't too far of a stretch. The reason I'm contemplating selling mine is because I use it so much. I never thought I needed one, until I got he HF on a whim. I've found that I use it so much that I might make the jump to an expensive 17" or bigger because it is that useful in my shop. It is easily the second most used saw in my shop.... and the only one the I'll let my wife or oldest son use (they have both been instructed over-and-over-and-over on saw safety). Actually, I think if I were giving advise to a new woodworker, I'd suggest getting a bandsaw before a table saw. It is just so darn handy. If you have the coin (about $300 I guess), I would suggest getting the newer 12" Craftman.

Sorry I can't suggest your finds, but those particular tools will probably lead to more frustration than value.
                  If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• uglystick
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Garland, TX, USA
                    • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

vtv010,

For a jointer, I would look at something more like this Ridgid JP0600 6". Should be able to go under $200...
                    -Kendall

Comment

• vtv010
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Dallas, Tx
                      • bt3100-1

Thank you

I'll stay away from those 3...

I have been looking at the new 12in Craftsman. Also, based on the other thread i need to compare it to Costco Delta capabilities. Seems like a good quality bandsaw.

Comment

• DUD
                        Royal Jester
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

I don't have anything bad to say about used old tools, I have a 1950's Parks/Craftsman planer, and a 1960's Craftsman Jointer. The Planer is only 12 inch, but has a 220v 5 H.P. motor. The Jointer is a 6 1/8" and is powered by a 2 H.P. motor. They do anything I've asked them to do. Bill
                        5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

Working...