• Show
Clear All
  • RHunter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Mechanicsville, VA, USA.
    • BT3100

Bosch 1617EVSPK vs. DW618PK

OK, so the end of the Fiscal Year brought a suprise- an actual bonus from work Yea! Shocked me too....

Anyway, I've been eyeing a new router to go with my PC 4212 (2 routers make through DT's so much easier!!!)

So I think I have it narrowed down to these two.

Bosch 1617EVSPK - everyone loves, if the switch works, but it needs an adapter to use PC Bushings...

DW618PK - Pat Warner loves, and well, so does everyone who has one. Ready for PC Bushings out of the box.

Now I am stressing the ability to use PC Bushings to work with my 4212, but this kit will suppliment/replace my Ryobi 3-base that I am parting out and mounting to jigs (Plunge to sign maker, 2 handle to planer sled, D-handle for hand held use. And I am sick and tired of having to grab a strap wrench to adjust the height!!!

Thoughts? Opinions?

TIA!
    "You should give blood on a regular basis.."
    "Why I do of course, I'm a woodworker..."
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

re: Bushings.
    The 1617 works fine with the Bosch quick change bushings, they're cheaper than a set of PC Bushings and offer the advantages of easy changeout. The Bosch bushing set also comes with an adapter that will take PC Bushings, this adapter is also available separately.

I suppose if your dovetail kit has a PC bushing then the Bosch is not Quite "ready to go" but if you get the 1617 and the Bosch bushing kit then
    you can use the PC bushing you have or use the same sized one from the Bosch kit.
    I don't really think its as significant an issue as you make it out to be. Certainly not a make or break item.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I agree with Loring, I have the Bosch and the bushings setup is better than the PC system in my view. Much easier to change in and out.

I think you'd probably be quite happy with either one of those kits, I also have a Ryobi kit, and I'm glad I got it at the price I did, but there isn't much comparison to my Bosch.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I sorta-kinda own both routers. Sorta-kinda, because while I do have the Bosch kit, my DeWalt is the single-speed, fixed-base-only DW616. I have, however, spent more than a few idle moments fondling the DW618 kit in stores.

Bottom line is, I don't think you can go wrong with either. The DeWalt plunge base has a little smoother and lighter action than the Bosch, HOWEVER, getting the motor cylinder mated with the plunge base is awfully fussy. The cylinder has to be inserted "just so," otherwise it will jam and get stuck. This might be something that loosens up over time, but every 618 kit I have examined has exhibited the same behavior. Another thing I like is that the DeWalt is physically smaller, with a lower c of G, than the somewhat bulky Bosch. (In fact, I chose the 616 largely for these reasons, because I bought it as my dedicated dovetail jig router, using the P-C 4212.)

I would personally attach zero importance to the differences in guide bushings unless you do a HUGE amount of template work and are constantly switching the bushings on and off. The Bosch bushings take two or three seconds to attach. The P-C style takes a whole fifteen seconds. BFD. Also, you will probably want to not install the Bosch's bushing receptor until you actually need it, because it reduces the bit opening slightly and obstructs visibility a little ... and when you do need it, installing it takes LONGER than installing a P-C style bushing.

Having said all this, if I were going to choose between the two, I'd get the Bosch.

The specific Bosch kit I have, and the one to get if you can stand to wait until it becomes available again, is the 1617EVSPKE. That extra "E" on the model number gets you a lot more accessories than is included with the 1617EVSPK kit, and for some inexplicable reason amazon.com often prices the EVSPKE cheaper than the EVSPK. But even if you pay the same amount, the extra stuff in the "E" kit is well worth waiting for.
        Last edited by LarryG; 07-07-2006, 07:29 AM.
        Larry

Comment

• MBG
          • Apr 2003
          • Chicago, Illinois.
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by RHunter
          OK, so the end of the Fiscal Year brought a suprise- an actual bonus from work Yea! Shocked me too....

Anyway, I've been eyeing a new router to go with my PC 4212 (2 routers make through DT's so much easier!!!)

So I think I have it narrowed down to these two.

Bosch 1617EVSPK - everyone loves, if the switch works do a search on woodnet - the switch has been redesigned as of a certain s/n to take care of this problem, but it needs an adapter to use PC Bushings the Bosch kit comes w/adapter but I bought the 10 or 12 piece bushing kit some time ago and it comes with the correct bushings for the 4212 so you have two options...

DW618PK - Pat Warner loves, and well, so does everyone who has one. Ready for PC Bushings out of the box see above the Bosch is too.

Now I am stressing the ability to use PC Bushings to work with my 4212, but this kit will suppliment/replace my Ryobi 3-base that I am parting out and mounting to jigs (Plunge to sign maker, 2 handle to planer sled, D-handle for hand held use. And I am sick and tired of having to grab a strap wrench to adjust the height I use my 1617 for all handheld operations and have an M12V in the table. If I were you I might just put the fixed base on the Ryobi, adapt the P-C bushing to it and set it up and dedicate it for the 4212 and use the Bosch as your multi-purpose router!!!

Thoughts? Opinions?

TIA!
          Found the link for sealed switch: http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...fpart=all&vc=1

Good Luck - Mike
          Last edited by MBG; 07-07-2006, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Hitachi KM12SC or KM12VC if you need variable speed. It is as balanced and strong as Bosch and comes with PC style bushings out of the box - the best of both worlds. It also works with any accesory designed for PC-690. I have KM12SC and it is used for all my hand-held needs. M12V is dedicated to the table.
            Alex V

Comment

• bigsteel15
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Edmonton, AB
              • Ryobi BT3100

I'll put in another vote for the Bosch.
              Even though I also have a 690 single speed, I bought it mainly for table use, but will probably use it as the second router when doing through DT.
              The bushing kit is as Loring and others state, not worth killing a sale for.
              To use the stock ones on most jigs/fixtures you will need to trim the length but it has all the sizes that any other PC kit has.
              IMHO the Bosch is the smoother of the 2 for plunge use.
              I have no experience with the Dewalt. Personally not a fan of anything associated with B&D.
              Brian

Welcome to the school of life
              Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

If you have the PC 4212 which includes bushings all you need is Bosch Adapter RA1100 for around $5. Local Bosch dealer (not Lowes) may have it or can order it. Otherwise Amazon it :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Note, if shipping is crazy on it since it is from Allspareparts instead of Amazon, then you may want the complete set with free shipping from Amazon.

The PC bushing that is included fits very well with the adapter. Snap in and out is easy. It seats firmly and I have had no problem with shifting. You will need a centering cone or centering dowel with any of these bushings Bosch, PC or Dewalt, to make sure the guide is centered to the bit.

As mentioned the 1617EVSPK"E" kit is the way to go. It is often cheaper than the 1617EVSPK and it includes so much more including some bushings, but I don't think the adapter (which would make too much sense).

EDIT : Checked Bosch 1617EVSPK kit purchased this year from Amazon and it included sealed switch and aluminum body which elimates those two problems. I did have to send the fixed base into the service center last week for a stripped fine adjustment rod. I also sent an old 1617 in for replacement switch to sealed switch. They took care of both and had them back to me in 3 biz days.
                Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 07-07-2006, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• coach
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2005
                  • Forney, TX.
                  • Powermatic 66

I'm going to give another vote to the Hitachi m12sc. I do have the Bosch 1617EVS, and it is by far my favorite router. However, I use it in the table a lot with a JessemFX lift. I found the Hitachi kit on sale everywhere for under $100.

Not quite a review, but I have been putting the Hitachi through its paces, and I might just get another.

Initially, I wanted to get a plunge/fixed kit so I could have a dedicated fixed base router for my PC4212. Then I also wanted a plunge base that I could dedicate to my EZsmart SRK. I had my Bosch plunger mounted to it, but I really needed it for handheld use. I started out using the plunge and the SRK to make dados for fixed shelves in bookcases. Using the Holbren undersized plywood bits (thanks Brian), it is about the EZest way I have ever cut fixed shelve dados. I appreciated the Hitachi because it was lightweight, powerful, and very quiet (as far as router go). I then started using it with my PC4212, and I actually prefer it over the Bosch for dovetail use. The only downside to this kit is dust collection. However, I haven't looked to see if there is an add-on to help with this.

The two routers on your list are top of the line, with a price to match. The Hitachi is a very adept tool at half the cost. It also accepts PC bushings out of the box. The kit comes with guides as well as an extra base.

YMMV, but I'm glad I've got the Hitachi.
                  If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

My only beef with the Hitachi is that the plunge base isn't even close to the Bosch. For fixed base uses, I'm sure it's great considering the money.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Holbren
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Heathrow, FL.

I have the 618 3 base kit and it is a nice router. Haven't picked up my 690 since I bought it. It is real nice router, plenty of power, software start, nice plunge ... I can't speak to the Bosch but many seem happy with it too. My only concern there would be the corrosion issues I keep reading about.

I don't know current pricing but heavydutytools.net is always a good place to check.
                      Brian
                      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      www.holbren.com

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back
                        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by bigsteel15
                        I have no experience with the Dewalt. Personally not a fan of anything associated with B&D.
                        Hmm, that's going to limit your list of purchase-eligible tool manufacturers then, now that B&D has bought Delta, Porter-Cable, and the rest of the Pentair Tools Group ...
                        Larry

Comment

• Holbren
                          • Oct 2004
                          • Heathrow, FL.

It may be worse than that Larry. One of the guys on another forum said he was speaking with a DeWalt rep and that DeWalt is going to stop their line of routers being they have Porter Cable.

That would be a shame if it was true. I have a PC690 that my father gave me as a present and was my first power tool so I'll never part with it but other than that, I have no desire to own a PC router.
                          Brian
                          Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                          www.holbren.com

Comment

• RHunter
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Mechanicsville, VA, USA.
                            • BT3100

Thanks folks!

The Jeep just went in for a Power Contol Module replacement - $600 to start with!! Heck of way to end the week... There goes the bonus...

I do like the idea of the Hitachi M12VC/SC as a second DT Router, I was eyeing the kit on sale at Rocker anyway... so maybe I'll pick up the fixed base on ebay or something.

I'll probably get the Bosch when I become a little more liquid (hopefully).
                            "You should give blood on a regular basis.."
                            "Why I do of course, I'm a woodworker..."

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

R Hunter, the hitachi in the fixed base would be a nice dedicated Dovetail router, I fully agree there, and for 90$ you can't complain too much.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...