drill press rpm's - always change belts/pulleys??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickd
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
    • Ryobi BT3100

drill press rpm's - always change belts/pulleys??

just wondering how many of you always change the belts/pulleys on your drilll press to achieve the correct rpm's for the material and bit you are using? do you do it every time?

i've been changing the belts for mine, but it is a bit of a pain when it takes longer to change the belts than it does to drill the holes!

not sure why i'm asking this - maybe just looking for an easier way to get around this speed changing thing all the time!
    rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Hi Rick

I also avoid it as much as I can.

I normally have the DP speed set at 2,200RPM - this takes care of "most" of the stuff I do. This is OK on timber/MDF/plywood for twist bits up to 1/2" and on forstner bits up to 1" - done VERY carefully - tiny bites - careful not to let the bit heat up.

Drilling into metal or using forstner bits larger than 1" is whole other story. It's easier, safer and more effective to set the speed "right" for the situation YMMV
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• rickd
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Ryobi BT3100

hi rod,

thanks for the tip on setting the drill press to 2,200rpm - i'm going to give that a try. the great majority of my work on the drill press is with standard bits less than 3/4" so this will save me a lot of time and frustration changing pulleys.
      rick doyle

Comment

• dwitzke
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2003

Generally, I'll look to change the settings when I start to use the larger bits.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

It sorta depends on what I'm trying to accomplish whether or not I change the RPM speed. If I care how the the hole will look when I'm done then I change the RPM setting of the DP. If I don't care how it looks, I just use whatever speed it currently is set at.

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Based on someone else's tip, when I change speed I now "walk" the belts off and on without de-tensioning and tensioning. It's a lot faster and easier, so I find I'm more likely to use the appropriate speed. Still, I find I keep it set at ~1000 rpm for a lot of my work.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Like Tom said, I keep my belt slightly on the loose side. That way its easier to change speed by walking the belt. It is also safer if the bit grabs, it stops the work piece from spinning out of your hands because the belt will slip.
              Wayne
              Wayne J

Comment

• wreckwriter
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006
                • South Florida
                • BT3100-1

I asked this same question a while back and people recommended I get used to changing them. At first it was a PITA but now it only takes a few seconds. I change mine based on this chart:

http://www.ibiblio.org/twa/info/drillSpeedChart.pdf
                http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• dwolsten
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Chandler, AZ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Not trying to gloat, but this is the nice thing about Delta's variable-speed drill presses, like my DP350. There's a small level on top which you simply turn to increase or decrease the drill speed. No messing with belts and pulleys.

Of course, it was a pain dealing with their infamous problem where the motor shaft wasn't machined correctly and the rear pulley would shoot up into the cover, but they sent me a new motor and pulleys which fixed all that.

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

Rick,

I change nearly every time I use the DP. I curse all the years that I believed one speed fits all.

Loring did a demonstration that should convince you to do the changing.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=20132
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by scmhogg
                      Rick,

I change nearly every time I use the DP. I curse all the years that I believed one speed fits all.

Loring did a demonstration that should convince you to do the changing.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=20132
                      thanks for looking up and posting that link, scmhogg.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stick
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                        • BT3100

I change speed for each type of material and size of drill as well. It takes a whole maybe 5 seconds. I'm used to using correct speeds and feeds for machining, so the DP speed is a natural thing to do. I've had my 16-1/2 delta DP for well over 20 years and the original belts are still like brand new. No walking belts for this kid.

Comment

• dlminehart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • San Jose, CA, USA.

Wreckwriter, I checked that DP speed chart from Wood magazine. It seemed exhaustive, with entries for all sorts of bits in various materials. But the one I was most interested in was missing: Forstner bits. I guess these must be included in the "brad-point bits"? Odd that they don't mention Forstner specifically, as their notes for "multi spur bits" include "use Forstner speeds".
                          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• rickd
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by dlminehart
                            Wreckwriter, I checked that DP speed chart from Wood magazine. It seemed exhaustive, with entries for all sorts of bits in various materials. But the one I was most interested in was missing: Forstner bits. .........
                            hi,

i've got a Wood Magazine drill speed chart that does show speeds for forstner bits. here's a link to it:

http://www.rickswoodworking.ca/drill_speedchart.pdf
                            rick doyle

Comment

• ejs1097
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I also have the Wood chart attached to the side of my DP and change the speed each time. My woodworking is limited to a weekend or so everyother month (non finishing, planning, etc) so I don't find it painfull to change the belt.
                              Eric
                              Be Kind Online

Comment

Working...