• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Miter saw station

I got the inspiration from the above (at the bottom of this page - http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=17685)

I was looking for a simple way to improve my miter saw operations.

This is my interpretation with improvements:
    (See attached pic)

here's detail of the fixtures on the end - stop and support:
    (see attached pic)

Some notes:
    I slotted the ends of the miter saw base so I could slip the T-bolts to the side and simply lift it out and install it without having to drop the heavy board/saw through small holes onto the t-bolts.
    I made the stops with swing-away stops so I can put two or more on one side and cut several lengths, Actually I have the very small track stops on the right in the top picture so I can exactly reposition the swing-away stops in more than one repeatable position.
    I put 3/8" dowel pins sanded to the width of the t-track slot, or, some small strips two inches long to do similar alignment on the center line of the sliding fixtures to make them line up square when the dowels are in the slots and the fixture flat on the table.
    I added rollers made of sch 40 PVC pipe. I was trying to figure out how to center them on a small axle to spin easily or get a dowel to match the exact ID of the pipe and I came up with this (see attached pic)

I simply took a small piece of wood and ripped it so it would wedge tightly into the pipe. Cut into 3" pieces and located the center with a center-finder (works on rectangular stuff but you have to do all four corners and drill in the center of the "#" that results) - or use the center finder on the pipe with the wood in it, would have worked, too. This one is a little off and was a reject but you get the idea. I put a 1/4" dowel in it and drilled a just-oversize hole (like 17/64ths or 9/32nds) into the supports so it will spin easily.

I made mine 6' long instead of 8', used a piece of laminated pressboard that was once the side of a daybed that the kids destroyed.
    I glued and screwed a piece of 1x4 underneath theT-track so to stiffen it and because the board would be so thin there. I can rest the 1x4 in between sawhorses like you see here or clamp it in my B&D workmate. [P.S. I plan on always supporting this in the middle under the saw, so that the board will be supporting only its weight and the weight of the wood pieces. In the original design, the board needs to be very thick because it is supported on the ends and the weight of the saw will be bowing it making it difficult to line up the supports.]
    The saw can slide easily right and left and I can move the supports and stops anywhere needed. Neat, I think- its very stable and pleasure to use without having to conjure up and set roller stands or have the pieces falling all over the place. And I have the luxury of the stops to quickly cut repetitive pieces to exact length. If I want to put it away, it should go nicely into a corner somewhere, standing on end.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-21-2008, 11:59 PM. Reason: Added missing pics
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I think that is an idea that will be stolen several times over, Loring.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Count me in as a thief. I really like it Loring.
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Ken Weaver
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Clemson, SC, USA
        • Rigid TS3650

Nicely done Loring!
        Ken Weaver
        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• jwaterdawg
          • Aug 2005
          • Washington, NC USA
          • JET

Cool idea. Add another thief to the list. How tuff was it to get the rollers at the same height with the table of the CMS? I can see me having a tuff time with that.
          Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jwaterdawg
            Cool idea. Add another thief to the list. How tuff was it to get the rollers at the same height with the table of the CMS? I can see me having a tuff time with that.
            That did turn out to be the most difficult thing.
            Here's some of the problems I went thru:
            You have to measure the height of the miter saw table next to the miter saw, there's going to be a little rise/fall with the board.
            I initially measured the height, subtracted the thickness of the bottom board, half the diameter of the roller and half the diameter of the 1/4" axle to locate the drill point for the support and still missed by about 1/10th inch. If you look closely you can see where I plugged with a dowel and redrilled .

I stacked the two end pieces and drilled in one operation to assure they were at the same height.

So after I redrilled one was perfect and the other was off about .025", fortunately high. So I went back and opened the hole in the support up another 1/64th or 1/32nd
            and it came out just about right. The hole diameter I knew I could play with as you want it a little oversize so it will turn freely but it's not critical unless its way too huge in which case it won't roll smoothly, it'll tend to walk up the side of the hole and fall, leading to jerky rolling.

I'm also about .005-.010" off center on the best roller axle holes which annoyed me greatly but I made several extra centers and used the best. In the end its barely noticable - e.g. with a light but stiff board close to the saw you can see the roller stop and go as you roll it and the high point makes contact. With longer boards farther away, you get >.005" sag and it makes contact all the time; if you watch very, very carefully you can see a little up/down motion, again, not a problem.

I did consider early on in the design making the roller height adjustable, then it seemed like more trouble than it was worth, but in retrospect, ???
            OTOH, the rollers are somewhat of a luxury anyway, its nice, but just a hard surface edge of a 1x4 (as in the original idea) will be good enough for most people, and forget the rollers. It was just a feature that seemed neat and I'm glad I did it for the fun of it.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-29-2006, 09:00 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• rickd
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
              • Ryobi BT3100

hi loring,

nice job - i really like the improvements you made to the original plan. i think i'll be 'borrowing' your idea for my workshop as well!
              rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

GREAT Idea Loring! Thanks for sharing that!
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Tom Miller
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Sweet setup, Loring! Flip-stops are worth their weight in gold -- and right now, I don't have any gold. But that's about to change....

Nice idea about multiple, resetable stops, too.

Regards,
                  Tom

Comment

• Wood_workur
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Ohio
                    • Ryobi bt3100-1

Man, if I used my miter saw more, I would have to build something like that. Very nice.

But maybe a good cross-cut rig for the bt will find its way into my shop...
                    Alex

Comment

• John Hunter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                      • BT3000 & BT3100

That is great! Wish I had the room for one.
                      John Hunter

Comment

• Crash2510
                        • Feb 2006
                        • North Central Ohio

that is a great Idea to "borrow"
                        Phil In Ohio
                        The basement woodworker

Comment

• RickCarpenter
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Huntsville, East Texas.

Mondo cool! Let me suggest adding a torsion box base to make it portable and sturdy so ya don't have to worry about it sagging with less than ideal support. But, here's an "out there" idea for the torsion box: make it out of a section of aluminum ladder skinned with plywood.

I made a torsion box the old fashioned way for my CMS base. Mine will fit on a workbench, sawhorses, or a truck tailgate, and gets put away out of the way. I only thought of the ladder idea afterwards... naturally.

Rick
                          Last edited by RickCarpenter; 04-29-2006, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• kyle.w
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • paw paw, mi, USA.
                            • GI 50-185M

its a good idea

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Restored missing pictures to this thread - I find this miter station to be very useful, compact and easy to make and use.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...