• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killin5
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Lake City, FL.

Nailer Recommendation

I am in the middle of a few home renovation projects. One that I see coming up quickly is the installation of Chair rail. This of course may lead to new baseboards and some Crown Molding. I have never been a fan of doing molding work mostly because of nailing through the metal edging on the sheetrock corners. I have an air compressor that I can borrow. And if that doesn’t work out, I might be able to play the angles and pick one up. So I’m looking for a nail gun. We just moved, so we are in budget mode. I have never used a nail gun before. I need some recommendations.

These are the ones I’m looking at

Porter Cable BN125A Factory Reconditioned 18 Gauge 5/8" to 1-1/4" Brad Nailer Kit $44.99
    • Uses standard 18 gauge brads from 5/8" to 1-1/4" long
    • Special hardened driver blade
    • Tool-free jam release mechanism designed not to block line of sight
    • Strong & light weight die-cast aluminum body
    • Hard coat anodized magazine with visual reload indicator
    • Contact safety located behind the driver guide for driving brads in tight spaces
    • Tool-free depth-of-drive adjustment for exact setting of nail head
    • Removable rubber nose cushion and directional tool-free exhaust port
    • Magazine capacity: 100 brads. Operating pressure: 70-120 psi. Firing modes: Sequential fire.
    • Includes: Nailer, 1/4" male quick plug with dust cover, rugged carrying case, box of 1000 brads, oil and operating manual

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=285

Grizzly H5527 18 Gauge Brad Nailer Kit $29.95

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5527
    • 18 ga. Nailer accepts up to 100 5/8" - 2" brads, operates on 70-110 PSI, features a 360 degree adjustable exhaust and only weights 3.5 lbs.

Grizzly H6332 Air Nailer $23.25

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6332
    • Shoots 3/8" - 11/4", 18 gauge brad nails 60 - 100 PSI operating pressure 100 piece nail capacity Quick release nose piece clears jams fast Single shot or bump fire mode Includes durable plastic case Weighs only 2.75 lbs.

I’m leaning towards the PC one because it has an adjustable depth setting.
    Am I thinking to small/cheap?
    Any advice here would be appreciated.

John
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you want the most versatility, get a 2" brad capacity rather than limit yourself to 1.25".

Avoid combo nailer/staplers because of the driver dent.

I'd take a long look at the Harbor freight 18ga 2" brad nailer that goes for $20 and sometimes goes on sale for $15, its a lot of bang for the buck, functionally its all there, seems to be reliable for users here, not the most beautiful and doesn't have a depth control other than adjusting the air pressure.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

I have had a PC BN125 for years and it has never failed me.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• kmk
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • .Portland, Oregon
        • BT3100-1

I have Porter cable air compressor, brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler package and no complaints! I used it on expensive cabinet project and they worked great. No misfires. No jams. I'm planning to buy their pin nailer as well.

The package deal was awesome. I think HD still has it. With $35 GC, it will be $295. If you use any coupon, it will be excellent deal I think.

Comment

• Shipwreck
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2005

Brad nailer

None of them..........To shoot chair rails and base board, you need at least a 16 ga. brad nailer. The 18 ga. brad alone will not hold the material properly, unless you help it out with glue/adhesive.

In most cases I have used a 16 ga. nailer and have had excellent results. A 15 ga. nailer might be the best all around nailer for the tasks you have noted.

I have the same BN125A nailer that you are inquiring about. Its a great little shooter, but its more suited for lighter gauge work.

I have seen guys use a 18 ga. nailer to put in pre-fab door frames, chair rail, base boards, but I would not advise it to anyone,.............. Sooner or later they will work loose.

There are those who might argue with my opinion, but I work in the drywall industry, and follow up behind the trim guys all the time. They ALL use either a 15/16 ga. nailer.
          Last edited by Shipwreck; 04-05-2006, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

All I can add is that I agree with the comments above.

I have the Porter Cable 18 ga nailer. I've used it extensively and never had a misfire or jam.

But, it IS too small for the trim work you mention. I've used to while replacing most of the trim in my house, and the 18 ga 1-1/4 brads just aren't stout enough or long enough to do the job properly. By the time you shoot through 1/2" or trim and a 1/2" of drywall, there isn't much brad left to secure into the framing.

OK, I guess I can add some more: If you haven't used these nailers much, be very careful of where your other hand is while shooting brads. Seems the most convenient spot to hold the trim is exactly the wrong spot when the brad decides to deflect due to woodgrain or whatever. AMHIK
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

I also have the porter cable set. 18g, 16g, and compressor. Both nailers have worked well for me for the past couple of years.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• Hoyden
                Established Member
                • Jan 2005
                • Twin Falls, ID, USA.

I have the porter cable 16 ga and tradesman 18 gage and a pin nailer all are excelent for thier uses. but you do need to be able to shoot 2' nails to put up trim and have it hold. that said i'm sure that we have all used less at different times and it worked, maby not well though.
                PawPaw

Comment

• killin5
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Lake City, FL.

Thanks. It is always hard to buy a tool you have never used. Well actually it is pretty easy. It is even easier to buy the one with the features you needed once you figured out what they were (just harder to justify). That is how I ended up with my BT3.

So I should be looking for a 16 ga. nailer.

I haven't researched these. What would be some good options here? I suppose this will bump the price up quite a bit.

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

Well, I got the PC kit because I didn't have any of the needed stuff (same sitch you are in). The brad nailer is useful for furniture projects, and the finish nailer is useful for trim work. The compressor is small and light enough to fairly easily move from room to room.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend it.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• RmeDad
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Scottsdale, AZ
                      • BT3100-1

PC has been very, very good to me!

I also have the PC combo kit and I am very pleased with it. I ditto Keith's remarks.
                      Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• mater
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • SC, USA.

Originally posted by Shipwreck
                        None of them..........To shoot chair rails and base board, you need at least a 16 ga. brad nailer. The 18 ga. brad alone will not hold the material properly, unless you help it out with glue/adhesive.

In most cases I have used a 16 ga. nailer and have had excellent results. A 15 ga. nailer might be the best all around nailer for the tasks you have noted.

I have the same BN125A nailer that you are inquiring about. Its a great little shooter, but its more suited for lighter gauge work.

I have seen guys use a 18 ga. nailer to put in pre-fab door frames, chair rail, base boards, but I would not advise it to anyone,.............. Sooner or later they will work loose.

There are those who might argue with my opinion, but I work in the drywall industry, and follow up behind the trim guys all the time. They ALL use either a 15/16 ga. nailer.
                        I agree. 15 or 16 ga is the one to use.
                        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• jhart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

I also have the PC combo kit, but purchased before there were the combo kits. Got the compressor and BN 125 first, then the finish nailer and then the framing nailer. Never have had a problem with any of them.
                          That combo kit for $299 is a great deal.
                          The compressor has framed a 3 car garage, framed a 3 story porch, roofed 2 houses, used to spray texture on 2 ceilings, spray paint ceilings and a host of other things.
                          The portability of the compressor is the thing I love about the whole setup.
                          Joe
                          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Tarheel
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • N. Carolina

I too have the PC Compressor combo with the brad, finish nailers and stapler. The brad nailer is great for holding joints during glue-ups and the finish nailer is great for interior woodwork - ie chair rail, baseboard etc. I have not had a jam with the nailers either.

One caution with the compressor though. It is kind of noisy which I understand is typical of oiless compressors,

Wayne

Comment

• Sawatzky
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2005
                              • CA
                              • Ridgid TS3650

I have never used PC nailers, but I know they are good. I have a Bostitch 18 ga. nailer and a Bostitch 15 ga. nailer. If possible, I would get a 15 guage rather than the 16 guage. the nails are stronger, and there is nothing a 16 guage nailer can do that a 15 guage nailer won't do. I feel with nailers, get the best you can because it will pay off in the long run. My Bostitch 15 guage is older, but works great.

Comment

Working...