• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curly Qsawn
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

Nail Quantity

This may seem silly. I'm looking for a finish nailer and I'm down to the Bostitch or Porter Cable. The nails for the Bostitch only seem to come in 4000 packs where the PC I can get 1000 packs (at about 1/3 the price). I guess I didn't want $100 tied up in bench stock of finish nails and maybe only use a couple hundred of a particular size. Are generic FN style finish nails available in smaller quantities for the Bostitch? Or do you find you may only use 2 or 2 1/4 nails for 99% of the time? Does the same hold true for pinners and brad nailers?

Comment

• lkazista
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Curly Qsawn
      This may seem silly. I'm looking for a finish nailer and I'm down to the Bostitch or Porter Cable. The nails for the Bostitch only seem to come in 4000 packs where the PC I can get 1000 packs (at about 1/3 the price). I guess I didn't want $100 tied up in bench stock of finish nails and maybe only use a couple hundred of a particular size. Are generic FN style finish nails available in smaller quantities for the Bostitch? Or do you find you may only use 2 or 2 1/4 nails for 99% of the time? Does the same hold true for pinners and brad nailers?
      Each PC gun that I have purchased has included like 500 nails in each case. So if your fear is that you only need 'some' nails, you should be OK. To be honest, I would almost think that you could 'sell off' half a box or so here. I know it kills me when I need a certain size and I only need a handful, I always revert to the old hammer.

I would personally go PC!

Lee

Comment

• wreckwriter
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • South Florida
        • BT3100-1

I'm totally in love with my PC 15 ga finish nailer. If I could only have one tool it would probably have to be that one. Getting nails is sometimes tricky, mostly because I use HDG nails almost exclusively but I find that once I have a box of a certain size it lasts through multiple projects. I generally have 4 or 5 boxes of various sizes going at any given time.
        http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• buckeye95
          Established Member
          • May 2003
          • Columbus, Ohio.
          • Ridgid TS2400

Curly,

I have a PC 15 gauge finish nailer, but did look at the Bostitch. I also noted the problem with purchasing smaller nail quantities than the 4000 count boxes offered by Bostitch. One alternate source I did find was the tool rental area at Home Depot. My HD rents the 15 gauge Bostitch (most likely because it is oil-free and they don't have to worrry about their renters forgetting to oil the guns), and sells nails by the "clip" from a bin under the place where the rental nailers are located.

The only thing to consider is that HD may eventually change the brand they rent, and since Bostitch is the only 15 gauge nailer that has "exclusive" nails, your supply might dry up at that point.

Pete

Comment

• Shipwreck
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2005

Brad nails

Buying brad/finish nails at HD & LOWES is a waste of money. Go to a builders supply company and get more for your money.

Comment

• DaveW
              Established Member
              • Jul 2004
              • So Cal.

On the topic of 18ga nailers, I have the PC BN200 - has never given me a problem.

Regarding 15/16ga nailers - since so many people rave about the 18ga nailer from HF as a good deal, do they have a 15/16ga nailer that's a similar diamond in the rough?

Comment

• Curly Qsawn
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2004
                • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

Pete - thanks for the tip about the rental section.

I noticed this morning that the PC 250 is price dropped to $159 from 179 at my local HD. But, it is listed as a 250A model not the 250B I thought I've been looking at. Does anyone know if there is in fact a difference? The only online review I could find mentioned a limit of 2" nails and weight at about 6 pounds so I'm wondering if weight and nail length could be model changes, but it is definetly the 15 guage angled nailer not the 16 guage model.

Comment

• mschrank
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Hood River, OR, USA.
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by Curly Qsawn
                  Pete - thanks for the tip about the rental section.

I noticed this morning that the PC 250 is price dropped to $159 from 179 at my local HD. But, it is listed as a 250A model not the 250B I thought I've been looking at
                  Not sure how you feel about reconditioned tools. I actually prefer them: better price, usually the same warranty, and I know they've been inspected. I just bought the P-C DA250B from Tool King for $99.00 + $8.00 shipping. Arrived quickly and in great shape. I went through 4 strips of 2" (it'll take 2-1/2") this weekend and had no problems.

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo....productid=3478
                  Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Curly Qsawn
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

Mike, I've been mulling over whether to go that route. Every time I've ordered online I get so much spam, I've about quit internet ordering. With the HD power tool sale and the reduced price I'm only about $20 difference for new. I have until May 3 - I just hope they've gotten rid of the Makita 14.4 drill and impact kit on sale before I go back!

Comment

• AlanWS
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Shorewood, WI.

Just get a free hotmail or yahoo email account, and give that one when you order stuff.
                      Alan

Comment

Working...