• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • linear
    • May 2004
    • DeSoto, KS, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Grizzly G0555: talk me off the ledge, guys

Well, the fine folks at Amazon with their $75 off a 300 promo have me thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on this bandsaw.

I'm pretty convinced it will meet my needs. I'd like to resaw, and I'm planning on the riser blocks. Would I like a bigger motor? Yeah. But for $408 with the riser blocks, this seems pretty attractive. I'm having a hard time seeing how I'd get more saw for the $ in any case.

Are there any things I should be aware of as drawbacks to this unit?

I know that some have criticized the quality of the roller guides.

I have read that some of these are made in China others in Taiwan, with pretty serious differences between the two. I've contemplated driving to the Springfield showroom to pick it up for this reason.

I'm aware the included blade is useless.

I'm aware that the riser block will get me into a longer blade, hence my desire for buying it up front with the saw.

I have the Lonnie Bird book.

If you own this beast and love it or hate it, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks in advance.
    --Rob

sigpic
    • Mar 2004
    • Northern NJ, USA.
    • BT3100

off the ledge

I think your math is wrong. Well, your math is right, but your application of its wrong since I don't think Amazon will apply the $75 off to items which are non-Amazon sold. Grizzly is sold by Grizzly, through amazon. You canorder it thru Grizz or Amazon, both same price. Since it is not, technically, an Amazon product, me thinks you won't get the $$ off. But you can try, and if successful, grab it!

With that said, she's still a great machine even at $425+riser+shipping. Many of us here (and eleswhere) think greatly of it. I think Pappy even said he sleeps with his! Well, whatever, we like it. And if you find yourself going near their store is Missouri, you can pick it up without shipping costs (but with tax).

good luck,

curt j.
    A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I've owned my G0555 for, I dunno, maybe 20 months now. At first I loved it (New Tool Syndrome). Soon I grew dissatisfied, wondered whether I should have paid ~$200 more for the JET, or even ~$500 more for the Powermatic. Then I learned that with any band saw, proper setup is critical; also that while the basics of proper set up can be learned in 10 minutes, it takes a little while longer, and a bit of repetitive practice, to learn the subtleties that can make all the difference. The more I understood this the happier I became, and in time I fell in love with my G0555 all over again.

I'm not aware of complaints, per se, about the bearing guides. I have said, more than once, that I'm not all that sure bearing guides are such a big improvement over block guides. But my saw's bearing guides work fine. (This is not to say there haven't been problems, only that I've not heard of any personally.)

The included fence works fine, the miter gauge is rudimentary but usable, the stock blade makes Vermont American look good and needs to be changed right away: I mostly use a Woodslicer, from highland Hardware. I also put an Iturra Designs tensioning spring on mine; it's stiffer than the stock spring and was a worthwhile $15 upgrade. Otherwise, I'm using the saw just as it came out of the box and I've no serious complaints about its quality or operation.

Some have called the G0555 the "BT3x00 of band saws." I'm not so sure that's not selling the G0555 short.

But all this could be moot because Curt is right: you won't get that $75 discount since Grizzly is a third-party vendor. Also, your $408 price appears to assume free shipping, and you won't get that, either. Grizzly charges a flat $69.25 for shipping and I think amazon.com charges $99 for most of its 14" bandsaws.
      Larry

Comment

• Tundra_Man
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I've said this before, but the only issue I've had with my G0555 is that my wife keeps catching me hugging it when I think she's not looking.

Worth every penny of the regular price.
        Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• linear
          • May 2004
          • DeSoto, KS, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Hmm, I bow to the collective wisdom of the forum--indeed the discount can't be applied. Downright obnoxious of them to present it on the product page as if it could.

I am aware there are other saw promotions, so I'll go back into wait mode.

:|
          --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by linear
            Hmm, I bow to the collective wisdom of the forum--indeed the discount can't be applied. Downright obnoxious of them to present it on the product page as if it could.

I am aware there are other saw promotions, so I'll go back into wait mode.

:|
            well it seems they did talk you off the ledge.
            But i think they are right, when Amazon started selling grizz stuff I immediately sensed a chance to get a discount on grizz which seldom has sales or gives free shipping.
            But it seems as if Amazon doesn't really sell grizz stuff, they forward orders, so no amazon deals apply. no $75 off, no free shipping. No fun.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bigsteel15
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Edmonton, AB
              • Ryobi BT3100

Side question

Is this the same saw as the Craftex sold by Busybee (www.busybeetools.com)?
              Sure looks like it to me except a couple of minor changes and I've been told that BusyBee is the CDN version of Grizzly. Same family owns both.

BANDSAW 15" 1 HP CSA
              Item No: CT015N

15" Band Saw, 3 Speed

A wonderful Band Saw package. Ideal for cutting wood or plastic.
              Three speeds gives great versatility and a cast iron frame ensures
              rigidity and long service.

Features
              Motor: 1 HP, 110V
              3 speed belt drive 750, 1290, 2800 FPM
              Precision ground cast iron table 14" x 14", tilts 0 degree - 45 degree
              Throat: 14 1/2"
              Cutting height: 6"
              Blade length: 97 1/4"
              Blade width: 1/8" - 1"
              Ball bearing blade guides top and bottom
              Balanced aluminum drive wheels with rubber inset tires
              20" x 2 1/2" extruded aluminum fence mounted 29" rail front locking
              Gross weight: 109kg.
              1 pc Carton

Standard Equipment
              Motor
              Stand
              Mitre Gauge
              Precision Fence CT015NF
              3" Dust pick up

Optional Accessories
              CT015NF - aluminum Precision Band Saw Fence
              CT001 - Circle Cutting Attachment
              CT015EXT - Extension Kit

2 Year Warranty
              Brian

Welcome to the school of life
              Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

I am one of those that have had problems with the Grizzly supplied blade bearings. I'm on my second set although this last time only one seized. I have found a cheap source for replacements at near $1 each online.

Other than that it has been a great addition to my shop; well worth the money.

One thing about the riser kit that does not get much press is that if you install one you will lose 1" of table capacity.
                Last edited by Black wallnut; 03-14-2006, 11:07 PM.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

With or without the $75 off, you won't reget the purchase. Contact the folks at Suffolk Macinery for some Timberwolf blades.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                    One thing about the riser kit that does not get much press is that if you install one you will lose 2" of table capacity.
                    You mean the 14" nominal throat depth reduces to 12"?

If so, I didn't know that; and that's a pretty big negative. Do you know if this is typical for most saws, or just this particular Grizz?
                    Larry

Comment

• Mar 2004
                      • Northern NJ, USA.
                      • BT3100

huh?

I'll admit I've never measured, and I haven't had opportunity to require the full throat depth, but I can't beleive this is true. The riser block is a rectangular block roughly the same dimensions (in cross section) as the vertical support arm going from lower base to upper housing. As such, if it continues the same post upwards, but a few inches higher, can't imagine how it reduces throat depth.

curt j.
                      A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• sacherjj
                        Not Your Average Joe
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

I just have to comment on the title of this thread. For in my few months here, I have never once seen a "too many tools" intervention. I have never seen a suggestion to NOT buy a tool. We won't talk you down from the edge, we will just push.
                        Joe Sacher

Comment

• scorrpio
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Well, the OP is planning to drive to the store to pick it up - which would mean no shipping, but would involve sales tax.

I thought about driving to Griz store, but it is a ~130 mile drive one way for me, and when I factor gas price, sales tax I'll need to pay, and in particular the time it'll take - I decided that shipping is a better option for me...

Comment

• LarryG
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2004
                            • Off The Back

Originally posted by scorrpio
                            Well, the OP is planning to drive to the store to pick it up
                            Where do you see that? I don't think that's what he said.

A related question ... probably moot here, but out of curiosity ... does anyone know if can you buy something from amazon.com, say a heavy item that does have a shipping charge, and pick it up yourself? Not sure that's ever come up before. My guess is that their system isn't set up to allow this, and the mere suggestion of doing so would probably freak 'em out beyond belief.
                            Larry

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I am one of those that have had problems with the Grizzly supplied blade bearings. I'm on my second set although this last time only one seized. I have found a cheap source for replacements at near $1 each online.
                              I had my lower set seize, but it was when I did a stupid cut (that's I'd rather not try to explain, thank you ) that also destroyed the blade. They're a standard size, and I found replacments locally for about $5 each.
                              One thing about the riser kit that does not get much press is that if you install one you will lose 2" of table capacity.
                              What? I've got the riser kit and I fail to see how I've lost 2" of capacity? The riser simply raises the top half of the saw by 6". The post is the same size as the original column. This statement has me confused.
                              Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

Working...