• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by LarryG
    Where do you see that? I don't think that's what he said.
    Quoted from OP:
    Originally posted by linear
    I have read that some of these are made in China others in Taiwan, with pretty serious differences between the two. I've contemplated driving to the Springfield showroom to pick it up for this reason.

Comment

• linear
      • May 2004
      • DeSoto, KS, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, tax + gas versus freight, it's probably a wash. I just wanted to see the thing in person before buying more than anything. I've looked over Jet and Delta 14" saws firsthand, never seen this critter though.

Originally posted by sacherjj
      I just have to comment on the title of this thread. For in my few months here, I have never once seen a "too many tools" intervention. I have never seen a suggestion to NOT buy a tool. We won't talk you down from the edge, we will just push.
      Enabler!

I'm less worried about "too many tools" and more concerned with trying to match the saw to my needs. If I felt like a 700 dollar saw would be a better investment, I'd buy it without hesitation. Motor HP is the only thing I can say I'd like more of with this saw. And it's hard to estimate my actual need to resaw, since right now I can't do it at all.
      --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

scorrpio: Yes, I did see that, but "I've contemplated" <> "I'm planning to."
        Larry

Comment

• mdutch
          Established Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Dallas, TX, USA.

Well I'm pretty close to the edge myself and hoping to trick the wife in to a Branson trip so I can go to the Grizzly warehouse for my Ultimate Experience! Also, I concur that the advice around here regarding too many tools is pretty one-sided... you're all a bunch of "enablers!"

Regarding accessories, assuming the 6" riser is the accessory of choice, how about a mobile base? Is the Grizzly heavy-duty base the way to go? Or is an OEM base a better value?
          Dutch·man Pronunciation (dchmn)n.
          3. Something used to conceal faulty construction.
          Another DFW BT3'er!

Comment

• Mar 2004
            • Northern NJ, USA.
            • BT3100

shop fox

I got the shop fox "standard" mobile base with mine. i say standard since its not the mini nor the hevy duty. I think it were $67 or so. It works great, and recommend it if you need it. I got it and the riser and the saw (and some other minor unrelated stuff) all in one trip so as to save on shipping.

if anyone wonders about the size of the saw, it fit in the back of my ford focus hatchback (not wagon), with room to spare for the riser kit, mobile base, other stuff, couple duffel bags, files for work, etc. I'd guess it were 20" wide, 18" tall, 36" long. Of course, it does weigh a 150 lbs or so.

curt j.
            A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Oops

Originally posted by LarryG
              You mean the 14" nominal throat depth reduces to 12"?

If so, I didn't know that; and that's a pretty big negative. Do you know if this is typical for most saws, or just this particular Grizz?
              Me bad! It reduces throat capacity by about one inch not two as posted! As far as other saws I'm not sure about but as can be seen in the two pictures below..........THERE SHOULD BE NO DOUBT!

Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Here's an idea....

Originally posted by linear
                Well, the fine folks at Amazon with their $75 off a 300 promo have me thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on this bandsaw.

I'm pretty convinced it will meet my needs. I'd like to resaw, and I'm planning on the riser blocks. Would I like a bigger motor? Yeah. But for $408 with the riser blocks, this seems pretty attractive. I'm having a hard time seeing how I'd get more saw for the $ in any case.

Are there any things I should be aware of as drawbacks to this unit?

I know that some have criticized the quality of the roller guides.

I have read that some of these are made in China others in Taiwan, with pretty serious differences between the two. I've contemplated driving to the Springfield showroom to pick it up for this reason.

I'm aware the included blade is useless.

I'm aware that the riser block will get me into a longer blade, hence my desire for buying it up front with the saw.

I have the Lonnie Bird book.

If you own this beast and love it or hate it, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks in advance.
                How about if you buy it and you can keep it at my house so LOYL doesn't have a fit?????

Closing in on 300 posts!!!

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                  It reduces throat capacity by about one inch not two as posted!
                  Thanks, Mark. I didn't think to look at my riser-less G0555 when I was briefly out in the shop last night, but if I had, and noted how the upper casting attaches to the bottom casting, what your pictures show would have become apparent.

I just quickly paged through the PDF owners manuals for the Delta, JET, and Powermatic 14" band saws and it appears their throat capacity would be similarly reduced by the addition of a riser block.

You're certainly right about this issue not getting much press. Yours is the first mention of it I can recall.
                  Larry

Comment

Working...