Best tool ever?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • 1914
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

    #31
    Hitachi BS and Drill press are really handy, along with my router. Least used= CMS, and scrolll saw, althought I couldn't pass up the scroll saw- for free!
    Alex

    Comment

    • L. D. Jeffries
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 747
      • Russell, NY, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

      #32
      Gotta put my 2 bits in: After my BT3 I'd say my MV12 router. Other than the saw its got more wooden miles on it then anything else. Must say I agree about the RoterZip. Yah, I got sucked in by the infomercial too! Best liked recent addition is my DC, Don't know how I ever got along without it as long as I did
      RuffSawn
      Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

      Comment

      • Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • 3822
        • York, PA, USA.
        • 22124

        #33
        Best : All my Bosch routers.
        Worst : Stupid B&D Mouse sander my ex-wife got me. Man I am glad she's gone.

        Comment

        • Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • 10490
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

          #34
          Most useful, based on price, is a 45/90 drafting square. if we are talking power tools, The Grizzly G05555 band saw.

          Least useful, hands down, is the PC Profile Sander.
          Don, aka Pappy,

          Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

          Comment

          • Stick
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2003
            • 872
            • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
            • BT3100

            #35
            Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
            Worst : Stupid B&D Mouse sander my ex-wife got me. Man I am glad she's gone.
            You got one of those too? I had to finally get LOML to stop buying me tools and just give me the money.

            Best for the bucks has to be either the metal lathe or the oxy/acet torch

            My all time worst was free, so I can't complain that bad......a B&D drill driven band saw that was in a truck I bought. Well, that and the Versapak stuff. I got a set of those once as a going away gift from work. They REALLY didn't want me to come back!

            Comment

            • jwaterdawg
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2005
              • 656
              • Washington, NC USA
              • JET

              #36
              Best = Ridgid BS with 6" riser, kreg fence and shop fox mobile base. Use it every time I'm in the shop.

              Worst = Ryobil detail sander, about as useful as a wet napkin for any real sanding. But that being said it's really the only tool in my shop that I am genuinely disappointed in, so I guess I've been lucky.
              Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

              Comment

              • Texas splinter
                Established Member
                • Mar 2003
                • 211
                • Abilene, TX, USA.
                • BT3100

                #37
                I would have to say that my best tool buy ever was my Makita 9V drill/driver. I bought it in about 1987 when i was in school for Air Conditioning repair, used it in the air con business for about 3 years, then went back to aircraft maintenance. Used it to remove and install access panels on aircraft (sometimes went thru 4 batteries a 12 hour shift) then after i went ot work for Boeing (office wirk) I have used it around the house, car, RV, whatever. I still keep it in the house for little jobs, but have a newer one in the shop, plus a new Kawasaki (Drill/driver, not a motorcycle) I bought.

                Worst tool purchase? A Craftsman 9V drill that would'nt keep a charge for more than drilling two or three holes in 3/4 oak and the chuck just wouldn't hold a bit without slipping. Threw it in the trash.
                "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

                Chuck Hershiser
                Abilene, Texas

                Comment

                • onedash
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 1013
                  • Maryland
                  • Craftsman 22124

                  #38
                  Most used has to be the dust collector. Its on just about anytime something else is.
                  YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

                  Comment

                  • germdoc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 3567
                    • Omaha, NE
                    • BT3000--the gray ghost

                    #39
                    Best tools are DeWalt 12-V Vs drill--going strong for 8 years, and Veritas LA block plane with accessory handles and chamfering attachment. Also second the lowly card scraper as BBFTB.

                    Worst tools? B&D ROS lasted less than 1 year. Also have had lots of problems with fixed bases for Ryobi router combo, although the plunge base is OK and is mounted in my BT3 right now.
                    Jeff


                    “Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

                    Comment

                    • Les Sayers
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 47
                      • N. Ireland
                      • Piece of ****

                      #40
                      Best tool ever?

                      A first class "square" and my pneumatic nailers

                      Comment

                      • Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • 3815
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

                        #41
                        Kind of a 4 way toss up between my Milwaukee 5615 router for $89, 22124 for $594, my Delta 22-580 for $229, or possibly my Leitz ripping blade for $10. They're all excellent performers and were great bargains.

                        My worst expenditure is probably my biscuit cutter....DeWalt 682k for $138. It was a nice deal and it does a good job, but I hardly ever use it anymore.
                        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

                        Comment

                        • MoldnMaker
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 146
                          • McKenzie, TN, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

                          #42
                          Don't have a lot of Woodworking tools YET, but have a lot of mechanic and handy man tools. Most useful tie between Makita recipricating saw I got used at a flea market for $60 and my 3lb drilling hammer. Most useless also a tie, between Ryobi 6v drill ( that's almost a joke, this thing would have troble drilling through a cardboard box) and an engine hoist I bought new for $210 used 3 times. (only once for removing an engine)
                          "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." by Albert Einstein

                          Comment

                          • Al Garay
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2003
                            • 75
                            • Seattle, WA, USA.

                            #43
                            My laptop so I can research my next tool purchase... and dream of being really productive using them.

                            Comment

                            • Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 10490
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

                              #44
                              A set of accurate drafting triangles at the top and the PC Profile Sander at the bottom of the list.
                              Don, aka Pappy,

                              Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

                              Comment

                              • WoodButcher26
                                Established Member
                                • Mar 2006
                                • 167
                                • Dayton, OH

                                #45
                                My best and worst came in the same set.

                                LOML got me a 19.2 Craftsman cordless set last year for my B-Day. The drills (regular and right angle) will put a hole in anything I ask them to, quickly and accurately. Batteries charge fast and hold their charge well.

                                Unfortunately, there was a brad nailer in the same set. It won't even nail cardboard to pine without leaving the brad sticking out 1/8". Tried all the adjustments, no go. Getting ready to give it the heave-ho.


                                Kim
                                Measure it with a micrometer...
                                Mark it with a crayon...
                                Cut it with a chain saw!

                                Wood Butcher

                                Comment

                                Working...