• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

ok, I just ran the nickel test, past with flying colors. So I got curious, I tried the dime test. The dime was hard to get to stand upright, and fell almost immediately when I turned on the saw.

Then I realized why, I didn't have the guard on the blade, the wind from the blade blew it over. After I put the shark on, the bt passed the dime test.

Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• wassaw998
      • Jul 2004
      • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I've had nickels that I could not balance on a flat table, let alone on a saw that was running. Seems like one of those silly "bragger rights" tests. I guess, a really smart person would stand a nickel on edge, and then determine how much / type of vibration actually was needed to knock it over, and then make some sort of a statement to the validity of the test to begin with...
      Chris

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

[8D]
        Lee

Comment

• Deadhead
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
          • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Hellrazor

Ok guys, what did i do wrong.

I set a nickel on my saw and started it, knocked the nickel over with the smt, it hit the blade and i only could find a quarter on the floor.
          What you did was realized a 400% return on investment!!

If you did just one roll of nickels per day for a year, you'd have a profit of $2,920!!
          "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• Tundra_Man
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

I used to have one of those cheapo direct drive Craftsman 10" saws.
            It was a horrible saw but I did practice good work habits with it.
            I always secured it to the work table with two or three clamps.
            I always kept all tools and loose stuff off the top of the saw because if I ran the saw with them on, they would all be on the floor in 30 seconds or less.
            I used to have a Craftsman saw as well. I couldn't leave my push stick on top of the saw because when I'd reach for it at the end of the cut it would be on the floor.

On the other hand, I could glue a piece of sandpaper to the table and it would do double-duty as a finish sander!
            Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by wassaw998

.. I guess, a really smart person would stand a nickel on edge, and then determine how much / type of vibration actually was needed to knock it over, and then make some sort of a statement to the validity of the test to begin with...
              Uh oh, don't get me thinking too much on this.

As such it's a qualitative test.
              Because vibration is 3-D (X, Y and Z-components)
              Z-vibration alone in excess of 1g (32 ft/sec/sec) will bounce the coin and set it flying.
              But X axis Motions (perpendicular to the face of the standing coin) exceeding in amplitude half the width of the coin will cause the coin to fall over(making the center of gravity move outside the footprint of the coin)... lessee Accel = second derivative of (.037" sin 2 x Pi x 80hz x t)...

OK, this is even making my head hurt...

Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                • Mar 2005
                • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

.. I guess, a really smart person would stand a nickel on edge, and then determine how much / type of vibration actually was needed to knock it over, and then make some sort of a statement to the validity of the test to begin with...

Z-vibration alone in excess of 1g (32 ft/sec/sec) will bounce the coin and set it flying.
                But X axis Motions (perpendicular to the face of the standing coin) exceeding in amplitude half the width of the coin will cause the coin to fall over(making the center of gravity move outside the footprint of the coin)... lessee Accel = second derivative of (.037" sin 2 x Pi x 80hz x t)...

ROFLMAO! Your opening line and your closing line were the only ones I can relate too. Funny thing is I think I get the point?
                Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Loring,

It is making my head hurt too. I look at it in a much simpler way: Is there enough vibration there for you to notice and/or make cutting uncomfortable and/or affect the accuracy of the cuts?
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Washington, NC USA
                    • JET

80 hz? At first I was thinking "80 Hz?, why not 60Hz". Oh yeah, spindle RPMs are 4800 RPM = 80Hz. So, a simple quick fix to all TS's to ensure they pass the $0.05 test is to leave the saw off.[)]
                    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

quote:Originally posted by drumpriest

ok, I just ran the nickel test, past with flying colors. So I got curious, I tried the dime test. The dime was hard to get to stand upright, and fell almost immediately when I turned on the saw.

Then I realized why, I didn't have the guard on the blade, the wind from the blade blew it over. After I put the shark on, the bt passed the dime test.

The dime test works best with Superglue...it barely shows up either, so no one will know. [)]
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BobSch
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Dustmight
                        The dime test works best with Superglue...it barely shows up either, so no one will know. [)]
                        Oh, Oh. Looks like we're getting into the quarter-superglued-to-the-floor-outside-the-cafeteria time. [:0][:0]
                        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Benbrook, TX.
                          • Emerson-built Craftsman

LMAO @Larry,

I dunno about you guys, but I doubt if I could stand a nickel on edge on a tool even when it's not running:-)

After balancing that nickel on edge, scrounge up another $1.95 and head to the nearest Dunkin Donuts, where the nickel trick and $2.00 might get you a cup of coffee (of course the gas to get there may require a second mortgage on the house).

Comment

• Hellrazor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Abyss, PA
                            • Ridgid R4512

Bob, epoxy works better..

Not that i did that or anything...

Comment

• BobSch
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

28 post out of one nickel? Who'da thunk it.

Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• phrog
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 2005
                                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Okay, I finally got around to trying the nickel test and my saw passed. Now, what do I do?
                                Richard
                                Richard

Comment

Working...