• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Image-Posting Tutorial, Please?

Would someone be willing to walk me through the exact steps required to post pictures within forum messages?

First item would be the optimum size in pixels, to prevent the dreaded Annoyingly-Wide-Screen Syndrome.

Do I need to upload the pictures to some external hosting service? At the moment I subscribe to no such service but could set that up, if it's necessary. If so, a recommendation of who to use would be helpful.

Thanks much to whoever can help.
    Larry
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

Would someone be willing to walk me through the exact steps required to post pictures within forum messages?

First item would be the optimum size in pixels, to prevent the dreaded Annoyingly-Wide-Screen Syndrome.

Do I need to upload the pictures to some external hosting service? At the moment I subscribe to no such service but could set that up, if it's necessary. If so, a recommendation of who to use would be helpful.

Thanks much to whoever can help.
    Step 1 - have the picture on your computer. If you took it with a camera with more than 1 mega-pixels it probably needs to be resized. I would suggest editing size with the PAINT.EXE program provided with virtually all Windows computers. found under START->PROGRAMS->ACCESSORIES->PAINT. Open the picture with FILE->OPEN->, and view at 100%. Click on IMAGE->ATTRIBUTES to see how big it is in pixels. Use IMAGE->STRETCH&SKEW to change the size, I suggest using
    50%, 33%, 25% or 20% (1/2, 1/3, 1/4 or 1/5) to get the cleanest resize and a picture size of around 300 to 400 pixels on a side. Use the same Horizontal and vertical stretch. Say the original image was 1600 x 1200 pixels then a 25% reduction in both H&V would give 400x300. The actual picture size will be 1/16th of the original size!
    Don't forget to save it (select JPG as the type) and don't use punctuation or spaces in the name, it's OK on the PC but BT3central doesn't like it. The size savings (your pics should now be under 100K) will allow you to store many pics on the space BT3central has allocated for you as well as make it easy to download and view for others.

Step 2 - Uploading to BT3central (no external web site needed) - Create a message (e.g new topic or reply to topic. Quick reply won't allow posting pics). At the message entry window just below the main text area you will find a "Attach File" in the left column. Just to the right of that there is an "Upload" link. Click Upload and fill in the File Upload box that appears with the name of the file on your computer. You can use the BROWSE button to select from the files on your computer. Uploading a pciture will also insert it into the message txt at that point.
    You can do this for as many pics as you like.

Note: don't use the ATTACH button, this will cause a second insertion of the picture. If you wish to insert a picture you've uploaded before for another post, you can use the ATTACH button to select it.

You may wish to click <Preview> at the very bottom of the message entry window to see how it looks before you post it.

That's it!

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Thank you kindly, Loring. I know how to resize pictures (longtime user of Paint Shop Pro) but I didn't know about the filename issues. I'll give it go later today, if I get a chance. Thanks again!
      Larry

Comment

• Turaj
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
        • BT3000 (1998)

Loring

Thanks for the instruction!! It is very clear and certainly helpfull! (just used this feature for the first time)
        Turaj (in Toronto)
        "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• dlminehart
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • San Jose, CA, USA.

I'd add to Loring's Step 2 that "Create a message as usual" means using the "New Topic" or "Reply to Topic" link. The "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of each thread is a text-only shortcut that doesn't allow photo uploading.
          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• gmack5
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Just my opinion, but I think this thread needs to be a "sticky" in the "Getting Started" Forum. []

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
            Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
            George

Comment

• cobob
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Rolla, MO, USA.
              • BT3100

I'm replying frm a distant site so i CAN find it again at home. I agree this need to by in the 'best of' forum

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cobob
                I'm replying frm a distant site so i CAN find it again at home. I agree this need to by in the 'best of' forum
                it would be, but, unfortunately, it describes how to insert pictures for the
                old forum software which was replaced early in 2006 with new forum software. The date of the original post and most replies in this thread was July of 2005.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RayintheUK
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Have a look here and see if this helps.

Ray.
                  Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...