• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flores
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Fort Worth, Texas, USA.

Sloping floor shop

You're a good man Bill for being there for your brother. Hang in there. A few years ago (in 1998) I wasn't working, so I was the one who took my brother to the doctor almost everyday for different treatments. He had Lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes). The hospital that was covered by his insurance was 45 minutes from where I lived, and sometimes it wasn't easy. He was released from treatment, and pronouned cured. He passed away one week later (in December).

The other 4 brothers didn't want to be pallbearers because that wasn't the "standard tradition" (for brothers to be pallbearers). I said "I took him almost everyday to the hospital for the last 3 months, after this I will never be able to take him anywhere else! (physically)" That trip was too short.

We'll be praying for both of you tonight...

Flores
    Flores
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

Hang in there DUD, you and your brother remain in our thoughts and prayers.

Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• aleuni
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Miami, FL, USA.

Bill,

I will pray that you may be strengthen during these rough times and that your brother may be comforted as he goes through the upcoming procedures. You, your brother and your family are in my prayers.

Alex

Miami, Florida USA
      http://community.webshots.com/user/aleuni
      Alex
      \"No Idea is a good idea until it is your idea\" -me

http://community.webshots.com/user/aleuni

Comment

• goofydad
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2002
        • Madbury, NH, USA.

Bill
        Sorry to hear about your brother, He and your families will be in my families prayers.

Who ever says you can't put a round peg in a square hole doesn't have a big enough hammer.

Dave Goofydad Dionne
        Who ever says you can\'t put a round peg in a square hole doesn\'t have a big enough hammer.

Dave Goofydad Dionne

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Hang in there, Bill. We haven't stopped prayin for ya'll.

Lee
          http://www.leestyron.com
          Lee

Comment

• Craig
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Monroe, michigan, USA.

Dud, sometimes the load we carry for others only seems lighter than it is. For your brother, our prayers and good thoughts... for you, our fellowship and harbor whenever you need.

Craig

Comment

• DUD
              Royal Jester
              • Dec 2002
              • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Guys they amputated my brothers foot today. I got my oldest sister to stay as I needed to be away for the night. I am terribly shook up over this, I know that he will be okay now when he heals and gets the prosethetic device, however I am unsure that he has the desire to try to live as a normal person anymore.
              I know I didn't for a couple of years until I went back to doing what I love to do and that is working with wood. My Brother doesn't have any hobbies, I will continue to pray for guidance and hope for the best. Thanks for the help, Bill

If You can't be good for nothing, do it for free!
              5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• enorwood
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Wenatchee, WA, USA.
                • Craftsman 22124

Bill, I think your strength, caring and example will be really helpful to your brother in moving beyond this time. He's lucky to have you. Hang in there.

-Earl
                -Earl

Comment

• rkc
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Boca Raton, FL, USA.

Sloping floor shop

Hi all,

I'm about to move into a new house with a 2 1/2 car garage. It will be nice to have a little bit more space than my current 2-car garage that I have to share with the washer/dryer, but I'm not sure how to handle the fact that the new garage has a sloping floor.

I have a DVR3000 lathe, BT3100, bandsaw, CMS, Drill press, planer and sundry other tools to accommodate.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Richard

Comment

• Mainemarc
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Portland, ME, USA.

There are permanent solutions and there are cheap fixes. Only you can decide which you're willing to live with and pay for.

The only advice I can give you is that if you are ever going to do the permanent fix (pouring a new, level floor). Now is the time to do it, before you move in. Speak now or forever hold your peace, buddy.
                    Marc

Comment

• Thalermade
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ohio
                      • BT 3000

Hmmm, sounds like an interesting situation. A couple of solutions come to mind. Given that the slope is how the garage/house was built, not that the slope is the result of some extreme settling.

1. The quick way might be to just place your tools where you want them and adjust one end or the other as needed to the necessary height desired.

The Dreamer idea,
                      2. The grand solution, IF you have the ceiling height, and your shop is dedicated space; would be to build a nice level raised floor. Then you could potentially run electric, air, and dust collection underneath. Plus you would end up standing on wood, or maybe composite wood products, not concrete. Your back will thank you for that!

Have fun

Russ

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back
                        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Since you mention a new house with a 2-1/2 garage, I presume you are talking about a slab that slopes upwards from the door up to the rear wall of the garage. Let's call this the north/south direction, and the slope will typically be 3" to 4" over a distance of 20' to 24'. In the east/west direction, the floor is usually level. IOW, the slope is uniform and in one direction only.

If that's the situation, it's not that big a problem. Shim your tool bases and legs so that they don't rock around (even a "flat" slab will generally only be flat to a tolerance of 1/8" in 10', at best) and use the adjustable levelers on the tools that have them to bring their working surfaces to level. That's really all that matters; if your own feet are "uneven" as you move around the shop using the various tools, you'll never even feel such a slight slope unless you are a lot more sensitive to such things than most people.

If the floor slopes both ways, such as to a center drain, or has more slope than I've described, then that could be a different matter ...
                        Larry

Comment

• Tom Miller
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Twin Cities, MN
                          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Yeah, what Larry said, if it's a uniform one-way slope.

The only other consideration is if you have any tools on mobile bases, they'll need to always be parked facing the same direction.

If it's a small enough slope, maybe you don't even need to do any leveling. The only consideration I can think of is whether or not you find yourself chasing drill bits across your workbench.

Regards,
                          Tom

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Tom Miller

Yeah, what Larry said, if it's a uniform one-way slope.

The only other consideration is if you have any tools on mobile bases, they'll need to always be parked facing the same direction.

If it's a small enough slope, maybe you don't even need to do any leveling. The only consideration I can think of is whether or not you find yourself chasing drill bits across your workbench.

Regards,
                            Tom
                            That's the first thing I thought of — across the bench, onto the floor and down the floor drain. [:0]
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

As I've mentioned before, in other threads, I firmly believe every working surface in a shop ought to be as true-to-level as possible. Woodworkers deal mostly with square/rectangular assemblies with 90d corners (even if it's two 45s, which together form a 90) and if the work surface isn't level and the project is sitting there all cattywampus, it throws off your "eye" and makes it more difficult to do accurate work.

Also, I forgot to say in my first reply that a floor drill press is one tool that really needs to be shimmed up level, one way or another. These beasts are tippy enough as it is; placing one on even a slight sideslope is just asking for it to topple over.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...