• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Screw-in type shop lights?

I know everything is more expensive these days, but I was kind of surprised that the 4' LED shop lights have not gone down in price, but up from 5 years ago.

I picked up these two screw-in LED lights, and while the picture doesn't show it, they throw out quite a bit of light (8000 lumens). The two pack also costs less than a single 4' shop light.

I am thinking about adding another 4 lights using just these screw in lights.

Do you see any downside to these lights versus the standard, plug-in 4' shop light?

Thanks
    Paul Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220830_132226444.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	852169
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I call them wing lights beause they have three fold down aimable panels.
    I think they work pretty well. I have two of them augmenting my 4' shoplights. They are in the original edison base sockets that are controlled by the wifi wall switch so I can go wing lights only, shop lights only or both if I need a lot of light.
    The wing lites are on the wifi wallswitch, and the shop lights on a circuit I added also on wifi.
    So I can command wing lites, shop lights, garage lights (both) and garage (both lights plus air compressor). But can also turn the wing lites on or off from the wall switch manually. For my wife.
    At night, when I go to bed I often say turn off the garage to shut down anything I left on.

As for 4' light prices, I buy them when I see a good price. they don't match, but that's OK ( I do match the color temperature - about 4000 K.) The last one I bought was a HF unit. The one before was a bypass tube, I modified a failed unit I took out of service. So I have two spares ready to replace any failing T8 unit. That alone makes the T8s last much longer (Murphy's law). The last T12 unit went out a couple of years ago. I think there are 7 total.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-30-2022, 11:32 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      I call them wing lights beause they have three fold down aimable panels.
      Hi Loring, My first impression and from many other reviewers is that these wing lights do get hot. I'm wondering how that affects their lifespan. How long have you had your wing lights?

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        You said yours was 8000 lumens which is pretty bright. And in a comment further down you said draws 80 W which is also a lot. But matches the light output.
        Mine are The Beyond bright which claim 3500 lumens and 40 W. So yeah, yours are going to get hotter than mine, IIRC, mine got a little warm but not to where you couldn't touch it. The power was spread out over the three wings so 13 W each which had a metal heat sink base for each wing, IIRC. See post #5 in this thread for a pic.

I don't see mine as a reliability problem level of heat.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-30-2022, 11:46 PM.
    • leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have had one wing light for about 18 months but don't use it often. Another one about a year and use it regularly in my shop. Because it is in the ceiling I don't know how hot it gets, but It does not get hot in my shop while I am in it as I have the AC on.

I bought two 4 wing ones last week and put them on a home made stand to be used in a rural church that is being built with skilled volunteer labor. They haven't added the lights to the Office, pastors room and SS rooms, so they requested some lights so they they could mud the sheetrock. They were plenty bright and half the price of buying lights on a stand.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        atgcpaul commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a good idea (although I do have halogen lights on stands)

• atgcpaul
        atgcpaul commented
        Editing a comment
        The specs say each light uses 80W. The LEDs are more condensed than a shop light so it makes sense they are hotter feeling. I adjusted one of the wings after installation and it felt almost as hot as touching an incandescent bulb.

• leehljp
        leehljp commented
        Editing a comment
        I hate halogen lights because they are just tooooo hot. I have burned myself on them a few times. Inadvertently touch or bump them and they leave a burn mark.
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Heat sinks on Beyond Bright wing lights

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	21 Size:	259.6 KB ID:	852177

These claim 3500 lumens and 40 W. So its about 13 watt per wing panel. THey get warm to the touch but not uncomfortable, about the same as a 12 Watt 60-watt-equivalent LED bulb.

ATCGPaul, if your light claims to be 8000 Lumens and 80 W that is about twice as bright as mine and twice as much power. If it has 3 panels or wings, they will be dissipating twice the heat per panel than mine so uncomfortable warm might be reasonable.
      Heat always decreases the life of electronic components.

Its said that every 10°C or 18°F rise in temperature cuts the life in half. 20C/36F rise would cut the life in 1/4 and so on.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-04-2022, 01:53 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stan
        • Mar 2004
        • Kalispell, MT, USA.
        • BT3100, Delta 36-717

We have quite a few of the 3-wing lights purchased in 2-packs from Costco. Shop is not built yet but I will be putting a few in there.
        At the moment we have 4 of them in a 28 x 40 unfinished basement. Get a lot of comments on how bright and cheery it looks down there.
        From the NW corner of Montana.
        http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

For the record, I bought two four wing LED screw in lights from Lowes about a month ago for a church building that is close to the finishing stages. The building had electricity but none of the lights in the rooms or sanctuary had been installed - we were waiting on the walls and ceilings to get finished (painted) before installing the lights. while we had some halogens, I made 2 stands, added a 5 ft high post (2x4) and a chain porcelain bulb holder on top of each and wired it. After adding the two LED bulbs from Lowes into the bulb holders, they were BRIGHT. The teams that finished the wall/ceiling painting preferred them to their own halogens. And in the 30 x 60 sanctuary, they were very helpful for whole sections at a time.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            The wings piviot up and down but do they also swivel so you could aim all 3 wings at the same point?

• leehljp
            leehljp commented
            Editing a comment
            Capncarl - yes they do pivot. I went back to Lowes looking for that particular bulb two weeks ago, but they were nowhere to be found. One of the salesman said the model I got was a special, and it was stacked on a box in the isle. I don't have the box - ti was through away. I need to look up the MFG and model number the next time I get back to the church - this weekend.
        • atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

After being in the attic space more than I'd like for other things, I (temporarily) took the easy way out with adding more lights.

I was going to add two more light sockets towards the garage doors connected to the existing sockets. I even bought the lights. However, I replaced the existing sockets with ones with plugs on the side, then plugged a 4' LED shoplight (on sale at Costco) to each one. Now one switch controls all 4 lights and I can turn off individual shoplights with the pull chain.

At some point I'll get around to the original plan.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

A bit late on this subject, but noted that you saw an increase in cost on your 4-ft LED shop lights.

In 2019 I purchased four shoplights through Amazon and have been very happy with them. I'm now looking to buy four more and see they are still at about the same price. $80 approx. (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sunco+lig...ker-20mins_3_6) . I purchased the 4-pack set of 4K as I don't like the harshness of the 5K and 6K. I've had them now for three years and there's no buzz or warm up time in the coldest weather. They are simple in install with the included hardware and they connect together easily. On mine,, the LED are contained in a frosted plastic tube and are integral with the metal fixture (no replaceable bulbs). Note other options on the web site.

Hope this is helpful,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...