Moving forward with DC ducting. Woodcraft sale alert...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Moving forward with DC ducting. Woodcraft sale alert...

Okay so I have been thrashing around, I know 4" ducting is really too small for getting the most out of my DC system, but I only have a 2HP HF DC with a Wen impeller, so 6", MIGHT work but it is really pushing it.

The problem with 5" ducting is honestly, finding wye fittings that work.

Well, I found some, and figured if size isn't perfect I will make them work one way or another.

I will be doing a, for lack of a better term, mixed media setup.

5" snap lock ducting. This stuff is cheap and easy.
    5" adjustable elbows. Same as the ducting.
    5 to 4" cone reducers. cone reducer / increaser for stove fans fit the bill and are cheap. Broan sells some for around $6.00
    Here is where it gets, funky...
    Woodriver 5x5x5 ABS 45 degree wyes.

Yes I said galvanized snap lock and ABS.

Woodcraft has a sale, the wyes are less than $13.00 and there was a free shipping coupon.

I kind of had to give it a shot.

So my thought process here is.

8 5' joints of 5" snap lock.
    8 adjustable elbows
    6 cone reducers.
    5 wyes
    20 5" 2 screw U clamps, or simply plastic duct strapping I already have in my inventory.

I am planning on eliminating the across the floor run, and simply making a drop that splits at the table saw for the lower port pickups.

I know I will end up recycling a bit of the DWV 4" duct for the final runs to certain devices, but for example the table saw, and router will be used with a LOT more confidence in dust collection...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I will repeat the words of wisdom from the wise ones! Buy your last dust collector first!

You know that you will eventually get a proper dust collection system with a real fan wheel and motor! In the meantime, improvise!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
      I will repeat the words of wisdom from the wise ones! Buy your last dust collector first!

You know that you will eventually get a proper dust collection system with a real fan wheel and motor! In the meantime, improvise!
      I gave that an ENORMOUS amount of consideration. But lacking a Mega Millions Jackpot win, I just don't see me being able to be in a financial position before I retire and go on a fixed income, where I can afford to have a larger shop, that I would be able to fit a larger system into. My shop is a 2 car garage that is bluntly speaking, 2 TINY cars worth. 18'x20' dimensions,

Now mind you, if I DID have a Mega Millions / Powerball jackpot win, I am pretty sure I wouldn't worry about the cost spent previously on a DC and ducting system. I would actually run it all until move in day. Build the new system in place, and probably gift my existing / old system to a friend of mine from church...

Don't get me wrong. It took me a LOT to come to the decision to just bite the bullet for 5", but I feel that it is for this particular situation the right choice. I just don't want to match up way too small of a blower / impeller with way too large of a duct and expect it to work...

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time for sure...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s not about mega bucks, don’t try to over think dust collection! You have seen that 3/8” compressed air tubing will work for your needs, and 4” dust collection pvc piping will still meet your needs without throwing away already paid for piping just to get to 5” oven exhaust duct that won’t do diddly bettter. Seal up you leaks in the 4” and apply it correctly to the equipment and it will serve you well! Don’t worry about collecting the large chips from the bottom of your saw and start collecting the fines off the top of the saw! That’s where the dangerous dust is!
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Just for frame of reference. Area of a circle, Pi r squared right?

2.5" duct nominally is 1.25" radius equals 4.91 square inches surface area.
      4" duct nominally 2" radius equals 12.57 square inches surface area.
      5" duct nominally 2.5" radius equals 19.63 square inches surface area.
      6" dust nominally 3" radius equals 28.27 square inches.

My current configuration features a run along the wall at the floor, a run accross the floor to go between table saw and workbench for router and bottom of table saw, and a run overhead for table saw, router, workbench and miter saw. So effectively 3 4" runs.

I want to eliminate the accross the floor run. It takes up too much floor space and poses a tripping hazard.

I do not particularly want to run 2 4" ducts accross the ceiling when I can run a single 5" or 6

the 6" according to the charts I am seeing is overkill for a 2HP blower.

I will be throttling it down quite a bit at many / most of the machines as the ports are iether 2.5 or 4", but there are multiple ports.

Take the table saw for example, my thought process was to throttle the blast gate at the belly pan such that I have...

4" overhead
      2.5" at the blade shroud and 2.5 at the belly pan.
      If my tired math brain is adding right, 23.57(?) square inches total, which IS above the 5" duct, but should be able to keep air speed up to make it work...

And I do have the top plate / hose adapter for my Shark Guard for 2.5" as well, so I can be under the total as well ... But I want more air / dust collection at the blade guard.

I am already collecdting the fines at the top of the saw for example, but is there anything wrong with wanting the cabinet clear of sawdust as well?

I may be chasing my tail here, but the concept is to be able to have enough duct volume in the main that the airspeed in the branches is not restricted due to the size of the mains.
      Last edited by dbhost; 01-11-2022, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...