• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop layout mistakes you've made?

I am seeing some issues with my shop layout / fixture design and implementation that I need to fix, just don't have the time or budget to do so now...

#1. My wall hanging tool cabinet is starting to sag. I notice it because it is mounted immediately above a wall socket, and it is now flexing the face plate on that socket. Need to tear it down and fix whatever the issue is...
    #2. My rolling clamp cart is great! Okay except for the pipe clamps. They are just too stinking long. I need to figure out something else to do with them.
    #3. My sheet goods storage is abysmal. I am just leaning sheet goods against the wall. No good.
    #4. The only part of my workbench I like is the laminated 2 layer 3/4" plywood top. Good sturdy, and stable. The base I made from Cedar because, well I had it. Big mistake. I really want to build a new bench, nice cabinet base with a butcher block laminated 2x top.
    #5. Tool selection. I like my drill press, and I despise my drill press. I REALLY want a Ryobi DPL121 I believe was the model #, The 5 speed 12" with the good long quill travel, but they stopped making those and I missed the clearance like an idiot. The closest thing that I can come to that is technically benchtop with that good of a quill travel is that silly Harbor Freight so called benchtop DP that is more like 3/4 size floor model.. Or a benchtop for Andre the Giant...
    #6. Back to tool selection. Assuming I could grab a suitable benchtop DP, or have my floor model abbreviated to the right height and stay working.... I feel I would benefit a LOT from taking my tool stacker down, and building flip top tool stands...
    -a. One tool stand for the non existent benchtop DP, and one for the HF mortiser.
    -b. One tool stand for the bench top jointer, and planer.
    -c. One tool stand for the Ridgid Sander, and scroll saw.
    #7. Keeping the base for the sharpening station, build legs under it to hold it up full time, and house my turning and sharpening accessories.
    #8. Table saw / workstation. LOTS of wasted space there, Would love to reclaim it with a proper storage cabinet / worksation integrating the BT3100. However, this goes back to tool selection. While I hate certain legal actions the inventor has done, I really like the tech and quality of the SawStop table saw.. After having the wide rail kit on my BT3100, and kind of fleshing out what I like, and don't like. I am leaning toward the Contractor Saw with 36" Pro T-Glide Fence System. Not ultra fancy, but ultra serviceable... Of course if budget wasn't quite the issue reality says it is, I would go with a similar sized 3HP Professional Cabinet Saw... Maybe I'll get lucky and find one used...
    #9. Dust collection. I like my HF 2HP DC, but it doesn't really support 6" ductwork. I know of an impeller that fits the HF well, and hugely improves the airflow, and doesn't clobber it electrically. I'd like to up size my impeller and fit my system for all 6" ducting, split closer to the machines for whatever actual port size I really need at the machine...

So what shop setup / equipping mistakes have you found / made that you would like to redo..
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

In my small shop in Japan AND here back in the USA, one of the worst things I did was take up 6 ft of wall space with built in wall shelves for small power tool and hand woodworking tool storage. After building the shelves with compartments, I always needed to move the wall one way or another or needed the space for something big. I found that generally, Where ever I placed my big items near a wall, behind that and about chest high and above is where I should put storage shelves.

One suggestion given to me long ago in another situation applies to tool shops: Start with your Big Items/Tools and build your storage or placement for smaller ones around that. AFter the big ones are set in place, put the middle/desktop size in place next and then design the smaller storage.

I think - in general, because we often have much more smaller items than large items, we design or start with building things for the plethora of smaller items first and it makes it difficult to place the bigger items.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

When I setup shop, I ran wire through the studs, put in insulation, and then used OSB for the walls. I go back and forth on this because in-the-wall electric is nice because exposed conduit doesn't interfere with where I put anything (and it was cheaper), however, in-the-wall electric also means I can't put certain things in places because it would cover an outlet. This wasn't really a problem until many years later.

I also situated the dedicated circuit for the DC in the back corner of the shop. Guess where all my junk lives and where my DC doesn't? My DC is in the front of the shop now in front of the garage doors because it was more convenient to dispose of the chips there. I also think about the possibility of renting my house. If I'm renting, I don't necessarily want tenants to be doing anything illicit or running their own tools (ironic, I know) with all that electric running in there. With conduit, that temptation could be removed.

Speaking of electricity, my shop lights are controlled by two wall switches, but are on the same circuit. This has only been a problem a handful of times now and most recently last weekend when I had my lights on (most are LED now), a ceiling mounted heater running, and my Domino controlling my ShopVac by way of an iVac plugged into my ceiling mounted cord reel because my extension cord was in the house somewhere. When I turned on the Domino which then fired up the ShopVac, the breaker tripped and I lost all illumincation. Luckily, it was still light out and I have a SolaTube installed. Don't know what I would have tripped over otherwise if it were dark out.

My clamp rack is in the back corner of the shop where that DC outlet is. Of course, my assembly bench is in the front of the shop. I've been thinking about mounting it closer but that means I'd have to slide my wood rack over several feet.

There's more, but that's what comes to mind.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I'm not sure we should second guess ourselves so much about what we did wrong on our shop layout. I don't think that I've ever talked to anyone that hasn't experienced this delemina. You never know when you will stop adding tools or grow tired of woodworking. A shop is a continuous evolving creature. If we took all the advice from our woodworking friends about what to do and not to do, would it fit our shop or our woodworking needs? Probably not.

Comment

• gjat
          • Nov 2005
          • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
          • BT3100

I'm in the middle of re-doing my work area. I enclosed and AC'd a 9/17 bay in my garage. As the years and budget has allowed, I've been able to afford and purchase additional tools. Now it's a struggle to know what to keep out for convenience, hook up to dust collection, and cabinets/storage that were fine before, but now take up too much space. At least I got the garage fridge sent off to charity. But the problem now is, I've moved everything to paint an OSB wall and I hate to put things back without re-working the layout.

What power tools do you find you don't need out all the time, or what you wish you did have out as default?
          For example, I'm not sure about the Rigid OSS and/or the Craftsman disk/belt sander and/or the miter saw and/or the router and/or planer and/or the scroll saw and/or the bench top drill press. Throw in a Craftsman dust collector AND a shop vac and now I can't cuss a cat without getting fur in my mouth, much less build anything.

Comment

Working...