Changing things up for cleanliness and the sake of my back...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Changing things up for cleanliness and the sake of my back...

As I have mentioned before, I have back problems that can, and often does cut into my ability to enjoy woodworking, especially with the large number of benchtop tools I use. Tool stowage and use is getting to be a problem. Simply put, the wall stacker system that has worked so well for me over the years is no longer an acceptable solution. I need to make a change for the better, and soon!

My first change is taking place this weekend, which will be building a simple sharpening station for the 8" bench grinder and wolverine jig. It will be set up very much like my Christmas tree stand base that I build a few years ago after the plastic one for the artificial tree died. It will be a simle cross base around a 4x4 post. The legs of the base will be from 2x4 SYP that will be planed and jointed to 1" x 3", band sawn and sanded to a toe saving radius at the outside ends, and all edges except where the legs meet the upright, and of course the floor side, will be rounded over with a 3/8" roundover bit. The height of the upright will be such that when fully assembled the rests of the grinder will be even with the center lien of the lathe., and the shelf will be reduced in overall size as it has a LOT of overhand go accomodate the stacker system that will no longer be needed, and of course the corners relieved.

With the bench grinder taken care of, the next priorities need to be the bench top jointer, and bench top planer. A flip top stand seems like the right solution to this issue, but I need room for that.

I have found that I don't use the Thien trash can separator for the shop vac much if at all these days and would like to get rid of it lock stock and barrel, along with the 55 gallon side inlet model. I want to go back to a baffle in the inlet ring on my DC. With those out of the way, I can remove the wide table setup from the BT3100, and redo a more fitting router plate for it with just the standard rails. I have found that over the years the wide table set has been nothing more than a space waster for me. Nice in theory but I just don't use it.

With the space to the right of the table saw cleared up, I have room for 2 flip top stands. One for the jointer and planer, the other for the Ridgid Oscillating sander and then the scroll saw.

That should have me well covered, and keep me from having to heave any machines The biggest issues being the jointer and planer, both being over 50lbs.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

It seems that aging and back related problems progress at the same rate. Being tall my back doesn't like to bend to get closer to low work benches and tool surfaces, so I have raised my work benches and tools to a height I am comfortable with. When others come into my shop that is one comment that I receive from most. Projects that I have design control of are typically light weight enough that I can pick them up and work on them without straining my back. My laundry room cabinet build is a good example of designing to fit my lifting capabilities, not sacrifice my back just to get the job done. Each 6' wide X 8' tall cabinet consists of 6ea 2' wide x4' tall boxes. I can single handed pick up and move around this size without really hurting my back. My Tiny Tables are an indirect result of my controling projects that I can comfortably handle their size and weight.
    Retirement is great but getting old is the pits.
    capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
      Retirement is great but getting old is the pits.
      capncarl
      Getting old is not for sissies! I first heard that from my cousin named Sissy!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Not sure what kind of planer you have, but my Ridgid lunch box planer and Ridgis OSS share a flip top cart very nicely. They have similar footprints and similar dimensions so the cart doesn't have to be overly tall or wide to mostly accommodate just one of the tools. That might be a consideration when you decide which tools to pair up on your carts. My first thought was that your jointer and scroll saw would be better paired since they tend to be long and skinny whereas the planer and sander are more boxy,

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          Not sure what kind of planer you have, but my Ridgid lunch box planer and Ridgis OSS share a flip top cart very nicely. They have similar footprints and similar dimensions so the cart doesn't have to be overly tall or wide to mostly accommodate just one of the tools. That might be a consideration when you decide which tools to pair up on your carts. My first thought was that your jointer and scroll saw would be better paired since they tend to be long and skinny whereas the planer and sander are more boxy,
          The planer is a Ryobi AP1301, once I wear it out, I will likely be looking to one of those Ridgid planers with a cutter head lock...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost

The planer is a Ryobi AP1301, once I wear it out, I will likely be looking to one of those Ridgid planers with a cutter head lock...
            Too bad you aren't closer. I have one I want to sell.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

My flip top cabinet has my Ryobi AP-10 and my Jet hollow chisel mortiser. The latter pushed the height but it works OK. It causes the wood in the planner to be above the height of my workbench but so far it hasn't bugged me. I also got rid of my wide table setup for my BT3100 when I set up this shop based in part on my track saw. I don't need the extra capacity, the track saw is better for working with large boards, sheet or solid. I remember a you tube by a guy who couldn't handle full sheets but he had a cutting table about the height of his truck bed and slid the sheets onto it and cut them up. Pretty good setup if your ability to handle full sheets is not there any more.

Comment

Working...