blast gates - Metal, plastic, shop-made?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

blast gates - Metal, plastic, shop-made?

I am just about to start running the rest of my DC pipe setup and have been thinking about blast gates.

Not sure I like the plastic ones as they look a little flimsy but it would be good to know how they hold up. I was considering making some but my shop build list is so long right now not sure if its worth the effort. The Rockler sale this weekend has the 4" metal gates for $6.50 so now they are a real option as the savings over making them are marginal compared to paying full price at typically over $12.

Any strong opinions either way before I pull the trigger?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Eric
    • Jun 2003
    • Cocolalla, ID
    • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

The plastic ones that I've had are mostly still functioning. They do break and are flimsy. I've had to super glue some together, I've made new gates for some because they've broken.

I've considered the metal ones, and think that would be the way to go if you're buying them. Otherwise, might as well make some up and save some money.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Currently I have 2 4" plastic ones. One is on one leg of the wye after the DC and the other is on another leg after the wye by my TS. They work and they don't seem flimsy. One stays closed most of the time and the other stays open most of the time so they don't see a lot of action. I think I got them at Rockler. $6.50 is a pretty good price for a metal one, though.

Comment

• sailor55330
        Established Member
        • Jan 2010

I have made my own and bought some plastic ones. The plastic ones seem to hold up ok. For $6.50, I'd try the metal ones. My plastic ones were $5-ish at Woodcraft.

As for making them, Honestly, for $5-6 bucks, it's not worth the time involved IMHO, Plus, for me, the plastic ones are a little less intrusive, which in a small shop makes a difference

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I guess it depends on the size ducting you are dealing with. I have 4" self cleaning steel blast gates and they are okay. I am wishing I had shop made 5" gates for several reasons... Not the least of which, my metal gates get banged into and they bend pretty easily... Kind of a nuisance...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

Maybe it was the ones I used but my plastic blast gates worked very poorly. They did not open all the way, limiting suction, and their slide mechanism filled with sawdust where they would not open or close - they were stuck in the position they were in when they filled with dust. I never tried the metal ones. I built my own. They worked great (I haven't set up the DC in my new shop yet but I brought them here).

If you buy gates, I would make sure they open all the way. I would also try to install them where the slide part isn't down where it could fill with dust.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Another vote for the metal. So little price difference, actually less than I paid for plastic. If you decide to go with the quick disconnect hose fittings you will be glad you chose metal.
              capncarl

Comment

• Brian G
                • Jun 2003
                • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                • G0899

I say metal. I use SDR 35 sewer and drain PVC pipe (ASTM 3034, I think). It's thicker wall than Schedule 40.

The metal blast gates tap in snugly to the SDR 35. So do the standard DC fittings.
                Brian

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

I switched mine to metal a few years back when Rockler had a similar sale. I had the plastic ones initialy and think the metal ones are much better built and more robust. With the small price difference I would def go with the metal
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Picked up 6 yesterday.
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

I ended picking up a pair myself since I added a few extra lines. Hopefully ducting will be finished later today
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...