X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

What a nice job! I'd put tool racks or boards on the back wall for the tools you use at the bench. Very handy and if dust is an issue you can always build your cabinet. I used douglas fir plywood, framed with doug fir lumber, not too expensive and easier for me to work than pine, plus I like the look better.
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Poolhound, you might consider building a storage wall. I built this one as soon as I moved, before all the small item got put in in drawers and jars, I hated my previous storage of jars and cans. A bit much now for Plano boxes but I caught them on sale at basspro. It rolls out and there is lot more storage behind it. If ant interest I'll photo it pulled out. Opps, photo is upside down, simply turn monitor 180!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by capncarl; 01-20-2015, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

I think thats a good idea. The worst things about moving from the garage was the dozens of small plastic pots and mugs filled with screws, washer, nuts & bolts that I had been meaning to find a home for.

There are lots of options like this but I wonder if I would regret open bins like these.

I have one like this already full

and a few of these plus loads of loose boxes and jars of screws, nails, biscuits, dowels etc etc etc...

I need to consolidate somehow and not sure what the best option would be.

Originally posted by capncarl
        Poolhound, you might consider building a storage wall. I built this one as soon as I moved, before all the small item got put in in drawers and jars, I hated my previous storage of jars and cans. A bit much now for Plano boxes but I caught them on sale at basspro. It rolls out and there is lot more storage behind it. If ant interest I'll photo it pulled out. Opps, photo is upside down, simply turn monitor 180!
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by JimD
          I could put in more outlets pretty quickly with the stud walls open but I'm managing by running an extension cord to each machine I need as I need it. If I had the tools arranged well, it would actually be worse, I think. Because everything is a mess, the plugging and unplugging kind of fits.

I only had one 20A for tools and one 15A for the lights and the DC in my old shop. I built several rooms full of furniture in that shop and was never limited by the power. I do not have a tool that needs more than 20A and I only use one tool at a time. The 15A light circuit limits me to a little DC but I only have a 1 hp Delta. My lights only use about 1 amp (8 13W CFLs). The only thing that might drive me to run another circuit would be a bigger DC - at least that I can think of now. And I don't plan a bigger DC.

Wish I had time to work on the shop. I spent an hour or so after work taping drywall. Still several hours to go plus sanding. Then paint, finish electrical, and flooring.

After I make a parallel ripping jig for my DeWalt track saw I'm thinking a sort of a Paulk style workbench will be the first major shop project. It will have drawers for tools on the bottom and a two level top with holes in it like the Ron Paulk workbench. It will be on wheels and will go against the wall when not being used. 3 feet by 6 feet. It should let me give most of my portable power tools a "home". After that, I'll probably make my long wall setup for the radial arm saw, CMS, with wood storage above and more drawers below. Above the workbench on the other long wall will probably be open storage like Ron Paulk has in his mobile shop. Thinking and planning now while I'm doing other things.
          As a Dewalt track saw owner I would love to see what you come up with. Both saw and Paulk bench are on my to do list someday. Keep us posted, thanks.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by poolhound
            These are what I'm going towards. They are sturdy and when held sideways by the handle, all the parts don't mix between the bins. The open hardware store bins would just become big dust collectors and I know I wouldn't be disciplined to keep them organized--but that's me.

I only have 2 of these smaller ones and one large one. I plan on getting more and making a cubby where they can all slide into.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

The back sides of the Plano cabinet on see have open bins and a drawer unit, and behind that is more storage in various containers. Photos later when I figure out why some post upside down!

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

The back sides of the Plano cabinet on see have open bins and a drawer unit, and behind that is more storage in various containers. Photos later when I figure out why some post upside down!
                Australian web hosting maybe?
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Poolhound, more photos of the storage unit, maybe it is night time down under and the photos will right side up. For some reason is cant get but one to post so I'll do several replys
                  Photo of left side Plano rack swinging out. Lots behind rack.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Storage behind left side of Plano rack. More plano storage on back wall with walking in room and storage sheves to the left.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Right side Plano storage pulled out, plastic bins from top to bottom.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Right side behind Plano storage unit, walk in, pull out rack for long items, storage to left (not shown)
                        Attached Files

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

Mike,

Have you seen this post at sawmillcreek on a parallel guide for our DeWalt track saws:

I haven't seen one posted yet so I though I would post one. I looked pictures at of the Festool ones and they appear to ride the side of the plywood. I like the ones from Seneca Woodworking because thy ride on top of the plywood. The DeWalt track does not have the channel to make this happen. Attaching anything to the track eliminates the use of the 2nd cutting side. I decided to use 1/2" 80/20 because it is ridgid and I can't see cutting anything thinner than 1/2. You could probably use 1/4 "

I have the 80/20 and just today got a small box of pieces from McMaster Carr. I still need to order the cam clamps and other clamps from Rockler but may get to start on my version this weekend. I need to paint the new room for my wife but it shouldn't take too long and I will need something else to do while the paint dries.

My plan is to make these parallel guides and use them to make the workbench later. I will also buy the Paulk plans before building my bench. Mine will not be the same as his but I should get enough ideas to be worth getting the plans.

Relative to shop layout, I had a long bench with the RAS and a CMS on it and a long fence with stops in my last shop. It was very handy. My new shop is not much larger than yours but I plan a long bench along one wall. I also had a open cubby bin in my last shop where I put pneumatic tools and cordless tools and other frequently used options. Paulk has something similar in his moving workshop. I also plan something like this, probably over the rolling bench. I am thinking that storage for hardwood lumber will go above the RAS/CMS bench. The wall I plan to use has extra 2x4s due to the way it got framed so it would be relatively easy to put metal pipes into the 2x4s to support the lumber. My BT3100 does not have its extension rails any more due to the addition of a track saw. So it takes up a lot less space.

The small end of my shop where the passage door is I plan to use for my drill press and benchtop mortise + air compressor. I don't think I need as much room to the sides of these tools and the mortise will be on wheels so I can move it out when using it.

I'm still figuring it out too. This is what I think I'll do but the final may be different. But I know what I liked about the last shop and that helps.

Comment

• jussi
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007

I've bought a couple of these and so far I like them. They stay tight against the wall, easily see what's in them, dust free, and items won't fall out if you drop them.

Last edited by jussi; 01-21-2015, 01:06 AM.
                            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JimD
                              I could put in more outlets pretty quickly with the stud walls open but I'm managing by running an extension cord to each machine I need as I need it. If I had the tools arranged well, it would actually be worse, I think. Because everything is a mess, the plugging and unplugging kind of fits.

I only had one 20A for tools and one 15A for the lights and the DC in my old shop. I built several rooms full of furniture in that shop and was never limited by the power. I do not have a tool that needs more than 20A and I only use one tool at a time. The 15A light circuit limits me to a little DC but I only have a 1 hp Delta. My lights only use about 1 amp (8 13W CFLs). The only thing that might drive me to run another circuit would be a bigger DC - at least that I can think of now. And I don't plan a bigger DC.

You need more dedicated circuits/outlets for things that are on or may cycle on and off while you use your power tools.

The things that come to mind needing a seperate circuit are
                              1. Air compressor if you have one, a 2 HPish one will take 15-20 Amps running and may come on at any time
                              2. DC if you have one, it always draws max power unless you have the air blocked off... a 2 HP one will draw 15 HP all the time it runs and should be running when you run your big tools.
                              3. Circuit for AC and electric heaters. You probably won't be running both at once so one circuit will be enough for smaller units.
                              4. You may want a circuit for the lights and incidental stuff... radio, chargers, (Fridge?) Air cleaner, etc.
                              5. Finally one to power all your freestanding tools (assuming they are 120V.)
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2006
                                • Phoenix, AZ
                                • BT3100

That is one heck of a lot of storage I cant even begin to guess what could be in so many boxes. You have a better stash than Ace Hardware

I just picked up these that are $9.88 for a 2 pack at HD. They are ~11x15 and and HD says they have 15 compartments but unless they have some new math I count 17. Anyway 10 have dividers that can be removed to make them bigger.

Dont know if any of you guys like Gelato (not great if you are supposed to be dieting but it is better than ice cream) but this brand (Talenti) is great and the pots are great storage when empty as they are approx 3.5"dia and 4" high with a screw lid and stack easily.

Poolhound, more photos of the storage unit, maybe it is night time down under and the photos will right side up. For some reason is cant get but one to post so I'll do several replys
                                Photo of left side Plano rack swinging out. Lots behind rack.
                                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...