Some auto related additions, cordless additions, and upgrades to the safety center.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Some auto related additions, cordless additions, and upgrades to the safety center.

The light duty floor jack and jack stands finally gave me a moment of pause and I finally bit the bullet rather than the coffin, and opted for more serious hardware. I got rid of the little trolley jack, and 3 ton jack stands in favor of a 4 ton service jack, and 6 ton stands. I haven't had an opportunity to test them yet, but if they function as well as the actual fit and finish looks, these will be real workhorses for my automotive work for years to come.

On a more wood shop related note, I finally decided to just bit the bullet and try out cordless, and as much as I Have hated it in the past I couldn't see going high dollar on it. I went with the ultra cheap Harbor Freight 18V cordless drill / flashlight combo. While the build does feel cheap, and I am sure this is a disposable tool, I have so far been pleasantly surprised by the performance of this thing...

Lastly, I made some updates to the safety center, building / adding a dispenser / holder for my nitrile gloves, moving the safety glasses holder up some, and making room for, as well as marking my layout lines on the material for the holder for my respirators.

Like always, more detailed info and photos can be found on my blog...

http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com/2014/04/some-auto-related-upgrades-and.html
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

If you haven't tried cordless since the 90s I think you'll be thrilled with even the HF-grade tools. I have a Makita drill and impact driver set and they get extremely frequent use. Not sure what technology your HF tools use, but the LiIon tech of the Makitas will charge in well under an hour. Since I have two batteries, it's rare that I ever run out of power

Wasn't sure that I really needed the impact driver, but now I use it about 10x more often than the drill. And it's nice to have both when drilling pilot holes, etc.

Comment

• Neal
      Established Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
      • Ryobi BT3000

Cordless drills were the bane of my existence for years. I had never had success with them. about two years ago or so, I broke down and bought an hitachi 18v impact driver, drill, flashlight set at Lowes. It was on sale for about $150. Far less than the Makita and DeWalts, but I'm not a pro either.

It ranks up there with the best $150 I've ever spent on tools. The batteries last, they both have plenty of power, and I actually use the flashlight from time to time.

At $19, I don't think you could go wrong with the Harbor Freight set. I've bought stuff there I considered potential "throw aways" and got suprisingly good use from them (reciprocating saw, Multi tool to name two).

In fact I got a little bold and picked up their 21 gallon Air Compressor on sale for about $164 after coupon. I did buy the 1 year replacement on it though. So far so good!

Originally posted by tfischer
      Wasn't sure that I really needed the impact driver, but now I use it about 10x more often than the drill. And it's nice to have both when drilling pilot holes, etc.
      This times eleventy. The impact driver is probably the one household tool I consider an absolute "must have."
      Last edited by Neal; 04-28-2014, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Something that I added to my safety items (did I failed to see fire extinguisher in your list?) was and eyewash bottle. It is just a plastic bottle with the correct eye wash with a eyepiece and cover. Just right for getting that eye-full of sawdust out before it scratches.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
          Something that I added to my safety items (did I failed to see fire extinguisher in your list?) was and eyewash bottle. It is just a plastic bottle with the correct eye wash with a eyepiece and cover. Just right for getting that eye-full of sawdust out before it scratches.
          I hadn't considered that. Excellent suggestion. Thanks...

Any idea where I could get one of those?
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

If you haven't tried cordless since the 90s I think you'll be thrilled with even the HF-grade tools. I have a Makita drill and impact driver set and they get extremely frequent use. Not sure what technology your HF tools use, but the LiIon tech of the Makitas will charge in well under an hour. Since I have two batteries, it's rare that I ever run out of power

The batteries are NiCad, which I believe is newer tech than whatever was going on in the 90s... So far no huge disappointment. Like I said, it was a throwaway experiment to see if I actually liked Cordless. Everyone seems to be chattering how great this or that cordless is... Hard to get on that bandwagon though, this was a cheap price of admission to try it out. Sort of like renting a car for a long weekend to see if you actually want to buy one of them...

On the plasticy / cheap feeling direction selector switch. I must admit, that could just be a feel thing. The Skil cordless I had died a cruel death from battery failure LONG before the cheap switches croaked...
            Last edited by dbhost; 04-28-2014, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

I would keep the smaller jack stands for a couple of reasons. They are smaller and tend to fit under smaller vehicles easier (like your Saturn) and your NOT supporting the whole weight of the car on one jackstand (the other tires also support the weight). They are built for 6000lbs and as long as they are built and placed correctly are safe (and a lot safer then those people who try to use just the jack). There was some "professional grade" jackstands, better then 10 years ago, now, that we got a call about at the shop. The supplier was trying to remember who they sold them to, as the ratchet mechanism was made upside down, and had already been in the distributors when the factory noticed.

While I like Impact drivers, I am not really a fan of Lithium tools. I've had my Nicad ones longer and they still work, my Lithium ones the batteries have died after about three years with no rebuilders for them (and new batteries cost more then what the tool cost me).
              That said, there are some NICE AUTO impact drivers that will pull tires off, without air. I picked up a Snap on nicad for $150, with a rebuilt battery that has come in handy, and I can grab in an emergency (mom called with a flat on the road before).

Anyone ever see a corded woodworking impact driver?
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I have never been happy with the lift height the smaller jack stands would support the Saturn at as well... I figure I will be happy with the taller / beefier stands. I do understand keeping lighter duty ones around but no real need, and my shop space is a consideration... I eventually want 4 jack stands so that I can pick the truck completely off the ground for say lift kit install, but that is a ways off still... And I can manage by doing the front, them moving around and doing the back...

Replacement battery for this cordless cost $12.99 - whatever coupon I have. Replacement LiIon battereis seem to run starting at about $90.00. HUGE difference!

An impact driver might not be a bad idea as far as cordless goes. Be a good idea to have one charged up in the tool box ready to go to the deer lease in case either I, or one of my hunting partners gets a flat...

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                I would keep the smaller jack stands for a couple of reasons. They are smaller and tend to fit under smaller vehicles easier (like your Saturn) and your NOT supporting the whole weight of the car on one jackstand (the other tires also support the weight). They are built for 6000lbs and as long as they are built and placed correctly are safe (and a lot safer then those people who try to use just the jack). There was some "professional grade" jackstands, better then 10 years ago, now, that we got a call about at the shop. The supplier was trying to remember who they sold them to, as the ratchet mechanism was made upside down, and had already been in the distributors when the factory noticed.

While I like Impact drivers, I am not really a fan of Lithium tools. I've had my Nicad ones longer and they still work, my Lithium ones the batteries have died after about three years with no rebuilders for them (and new batteries cost more then what the tool cost me).
                That said, there are some NICE AUTO impact drivers that will pull tires off, without air. I picked up a Snap on nicad for $150, with a rebuilt battery that has come in handy, and I can grab in an emergency (mom called with a flat on the road before).

Anyone ever see a corded woodworking impact driver?

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

My first cordless was a B&D drill. Over time, the charging base which had a radio built into it saw more use than the drill. It took forever to charge those NiCad batteries.

When we bought this house and had some spending money, I got the Makita drill/driver set. I thought the bonus flashlight was gimmicky at first but it gets a lot of use, too. I couldn't imagine being without my cordless drills. It's been dropping from 6 foot ladders and has kept going.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I purchased the eyewash bottle at Grainger, about $6.

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

I have been using cordless since the early '90s (Makita) that my dad gave me. It worked great for as long as the batteries lasted. But after 2 - 3 years it was costly to replace. In 2000, I bought a PC 18?V. POWERFUL! By 2005, the batteries were not lasting very long. 2005, I bought a Ryobi 18V Drill and Impact driver and while not as powerful as the PC, it did great. Those batteries lasted about 3 - 4 years. Replacements were costly too.

The newer Lithium batteries, I don't know how long they will last but they hold their charge longer, drill more screws per charge, so they seem to be a better buy - by a considerable margin. My first lithium is in a Hitachi in a right angle Impact Driver that I bought in Japan in 2009. 5 years old, holding a charge as long now as when new.

I have bought several replacement NiCads for the Ryobi One+ and they last about 2 - 3 years too. I like the lithium/LiOn for 1. the power, 2. charge holds longer when setting up and not used (I sometimes go months without using it, then use it dozens of times in a week; 3. single charge does more work before empty. 4. So far the lithium last longer. I haven't had a lithium to go bad yet.
                      Last edited by leehljp; 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                        I purchased the eyewash bottle at Grainger, about $6.
                        Is THIS what you got?

Sorry if I am being thick headed... The only eye washes I have ever seen have been plumbed sink sorts of things... not sure how to use on like you mentioned...

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

I've had a bunch of cordless drills. First a couple inexpensive Craftsmen that worked, for awhile. The battery was built in. Then a 9.6V DeWalt. When it's batteries went bad I bought a 9.6V B&D. Those batteries didn't last as long but it still wasn't a bad purchase. Then I went to a 18V Ryobi. I went up to 2 Ryobi drills when I got an impact driver with a couple more batteries and a drill for less than $100. I also have the circular saw and reciprocating saw. The circular saw was near useless on NiCads but very useful on the lithium batteries my son got me. They upgraded the whole line. My first cordless drill bit the dust boring for locksets. The 2 1/8 bit was a bit much for it, I guess. It lasted 5 years or more and also drilled half inch holes in steel for me when I moved the wheels on the boat trailer.

But more to the point, I also have a 18V Harbor Freight impact wrench. My son got it and an extra battery for me for a combined birthday/Christmas gift. He knew I wanted to replace the floats on the dock while the lake was down and his cordless impact was stolen. This is not a little impact like the Ryobi useful for screws and light duty nuts and bolts. This is a 1/2 inch cordless rated at 300 ft lbs and really capable of about 200 ft lbs. We took the rusted 5/16 lags out of a dozen or so floats and did most of them on one battery. The Ryobi wouldn't take out some of the lags and wouldn't last more than a lag or two per battery. The Harbor Freight batteries are Ni-cad but work fine, at least for now. I would try a drill if my other Ryobi gives up on me. But they will have a sale with a drill and batteries for less than the batteries before too long, I hope.

Since you also do automotive work, you might look for a sale on the impact. It has enough power to do real work and really speeds things up versus hand tools.

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

dbhost, this is very simular to what I have, but the prices have gone up. What hasn't. I've refilled mine several times.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...