• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I Purged My Shop Tonight

I decided today to get rid of an oversized shop cabinet that currently holds my DP to make room for a smaller cabinet. I had a TON of old crap just sitting in the drawers. Tonight I was merciless and refused to believe myself when I thought "but I KNOW I will use this someday". I got rid of old hardware that I must have bought for long forgotten projects, old broken stuff that I thought I would fix, etc.

I did find a bunch of stuff that I know I will use and kept, and of course a bunch of stuff that I had needed at one time, but could never find and bought new. All that's left will get put in better order in the new, much smaller, cabinet. Can't wait to do that.

Getting rid of stuff and freeing up space was AWESOME. I know I will eventually need that one item that I pitched, but oh well, I'll just remember this feeling and happily go get that $.05 nut that I had pitched .
    Joe
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I purged my shop last Feb was a year ago. Got rid of any duplicate power tools that was obvious I was never going to use, extra jacks, come-alongs, chains, lawn mowers, power washers, and all kind of crap that didn't work or was in the way. A couple of my friends rented a space at the car show/swap meet and sold everything and give away prices. Its gone, didn't need it, and now I have a pocket full of extra $$$.
    capncarl

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I need to do the same for plywood.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've done this, but for materials I've bought from stores and never returned. I had two bins of fittings and stuff from Menards that I returned. It was long after I bought it all originally, so I just got credit from the lowest price in the last 60 or 90 days, but I still cleared out a ton and got a few hundred $$ in store credit. I used that to buy a tool cabinet side box to store my stuff in.

I still have way too much crap that I could eventually use, but probably never will. I can't bring myself to throw it away, however.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JoeyGee
          I decided today to get rid of an oversized shop cabinet that currently holds my DP to make room for a smaller cabinet. I had a TON of old crap just sitting in the drawers. Tonight I was merciless and refused to believe myself when I thought "but I KNOW I will use this someday". I got rid of old hardware that I must have bought for long forgotten projects, old broken stuff that I thought I would fix, etc.
          I wish I had your fortitude.

Probably one of my biggest problems is what to do with leftover pieces that are included with a product you buy and install--like a ceiling fan or a sink faucet? Seems like manufacturers are providing extra parts so every conceivable installation situation is met. That's great for the consumer except me. Well, I could use those extra plastic wall hangers (and I have) somewhere else or that coupling may come in handy.

If I don't absolutely need them, do I just throw them out? It's brand new. Can it be recycled? I guess I could try to donate it to the Habitat Restore but that just puts a burden on them with crap noone wants.

Argh!

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

To keep from completely filling up my shop with hardware with every size nut, bolts, screws, pipe fittings, rivets, and welding rods I had to make a shop rule that if I didn't have it on hand then only buy the number of items necessary and not buy the contractor pack just to have some later. My nut and bolt cabinet has gotten so heavy that its wheels are cutting the concrete floor when it is swung out. It might hold more but the wheels won't.
            capncarl

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I cleaned out my shop a few years ago and now have a box for receipts. I always buy extra, and then on my next trip return whatever I didn't use. I'm about 25 miles from the nearest menards and 40 miles from anything else so and extra trip wastes a couple of hours.

I still can't bring myself to throw away the "extra" parts that seem to come with everything.
              Chr's

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                I cleaned out my shop a few years ago and now have a box for receipts. I always buy extra, and then on my next trip return whatever I didn't use. I'm about 25 miles from the nearest menards and 40 miles from anything else so and extra trip wastes a couple of hours.
                The only problem with that approach is that Lowes and HD (don't know about Menards) will stop accepting returns if you return "too much" - and they won't tell you what is "too much".
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

If you need the space, returning the items makes sense. If you have receipts and are complying with the store policy for returns, whatever you return should be taken.

I still can't bring myself to throw away the "extra" parts that seem to come with everything.
                  I'm the same way. I save everything. In doing both custom high end commercial and residential work, I could need some part that I might have. That would save me from having to find whatever it is. When renovating kitchens and restaurant fixtures, I save all the hardware. Some of that stuff isn't available anymore and is worth good money to those in need.

Comment

Working...