• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A few thoughts. If you can make loose toe kicks, it make installation easier. As for out of level ceiling, if the gaps are visually unappealing, just make a thin trim fascia. Looking at your sawblade storage, if you are going to stack blades on the dowels, that can damage the teeth. FWIW.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Good thoughts cman, thanks! I was going to use old cd's as blade spacers, but will have to rebore their holes. I thought about using my leftover shims, but was worried about moisture from the wood rusting the blades.
      The storage plans called for a separate base, but I needed to omit it for height reasons. The ceiling will be interesting... If its only an 1/8 or so, dont cringe, ill just caulk it (i did rip a thin filler for the last kitchen, but for the shop...) we'll see how lazy I am by the end of that day :-)

Dirty little secret: I don't dry fit before gluing.... But I will now! The center divider was either a 64th tall or dado not deep enough, there is a slight crown on each unit, that is what made it difficult to level. Live and learn through shop furniture ;-)
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
        Good thoughts cman, thanks! I was going to use old cd's as blade spacers, but will have to rebore their holes. I thought about using my leftover shims, but was worried about moisture from the wood rusting the blades.
        The storage plans called for a separate base, but I needed to omit it for height reasons. The ceiling will be interesting... If its only an 1/8 or so, dont cringe, ill just caulk it (i did rip a thin filler for the last kitchen, but for the shop...) we'll see how lazy I am by the end of that day :-)

Dirty little secret: I don't dry fit before gluing.... But I will now! The center divider was either a 64th tall or dado not deep enough, there is a slight crown on each unit, that is what made it difficult to level. Live and learn through shop furniture ;-)
        The best storage I've used was vertical slots with thin dividers, like found in roll top desks, etc. It keeps the blades apart, and with a scoop in the face of the divider makes for an easy blade pull out, similar to this...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	sort_modules_vertical.gif
Views:	1
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	786465
        I always do a dry fit, for most any joinery. If you don't, well...you know the rest.:

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Lesson certainly learned. It's rather hard to control large panels with only rabbets, any tips on how you do that for your cabs?

I like the storage rack you pictured, but space is an issue and I don't need that quick of access to the 7 1/4" blades. Frankly the plywood blade stays on the circ. saw and is used for ply while the scms eats up the lumber.

The mag switch was swapped out and I got to finish setting up and checking out the bandsaw. Even with the crappy blade, it cuts like a beast!! Took a 2x4 on its thin edge and resawed a 4" length with a nice gradual wave.
          Next, I will try and muscle it to the floor of off the dolly and see if my old mobile base from the planer can be reused. I intend to eventually mark out a location in the shop and put four threaded metal anchors in the concrete and mount the b.s. to the floor while in use.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Can a shop have unused space? NO!
            Spotted an area above and behind the air compressor (see red/black circle) that when the cabs go up will be a small alcove, basically a dust catcher.

Now I have all my clamps off of the floor and easily managed. I wish it was mobile, but I'll settle for this. What do you guys do with empty tool cases?

Comment

• JSUPreston
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Montgomery, AL.
              • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

What do you guys do with empty tool cases?
              Personally, I try to keep the tools in mine if they came in the case. Figure since I'm going to keep the case, might as well use it.
              "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                Personally, I try to keep the tools in mine if they came in the case. Figure since I'm going to keep the case, might as well use it.
                That's what I thought originally but I have since gotten into the mindset of having tools setup and ready to go. I find it more efficient and myself less likely to misuse the wrong tool just to get something done quickly. Also finding it quicker to clean up when everything has a home.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Elaborate. Have you had a plan with bad measurements?

I notice that the plans tend to be overdone in some cases and sometimes complex, but I like the thought that goes into them.
                  No, the issues I have had with Shopnotes plans have all been self induced. Nothing that I have come across that I can blame them for other than inspiring me to stupidity...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Got the top made up yesterday and today:

Thinking about using this stain:

Here are some others samples that I tested out today:

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Amazing how much time goes by in my life between working and having time to work in the shop.... Its September now and I last did work in the shop in April!

I guess I can call it reflection time!
                      Anyways I need some ideas and your thoughts as I continue to clean and set up shop proper. Here are some photos of where I am to date:

The thing I am currently debating is the wall of cabinetry. I will not have any other wall space in the garage, it is pretty much all spoken for and I am starting to wonder if I should make such a big commitment to cabinetry.... The wall opposite the garage doors is pretty much spoken for between a "garage" metal rack that is for the most part floor to ceiling with household items, paint, tools, etc. Beside that is the wooden drawers I built which is about 60% full of construction tools, etc. Above it all is a narrow aluminum shelf that stores some clear totes.

The second picture is the lumber storage wall with the plywood cart below it, besides those items are a water softener and the electrical panel boxes, so that wall is also spoken for...

The third picture is the last wall. The little bit of floor space left is under the shelving closest to the garage door. Its about 6' wide by about 4' high.

The last picture show what I have left as far as machinery to "fit" into the shop. Ideally I want to leave the shop setup for woodworking. I am open to all ideas on placement, space saving ideas, things you would do differently, etc.

I will post this on multiple sites, if you see it twice, feel free to ignore it ;-)

Thanks!

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

This looks absolutely great. For wall space usage, I have found that I like moving things around over a period of about a year before deciding what works best for me. My habits determine what I function best with, instead of what I thought might be a good layout. And, my habits change about every year or so.

Back here in the States, I don't have enough space for all the tools I have, so I am figuring in my mind on building some cabinets on rollers, - 24" x 24" by 6 ft tall for tools. Two, maybe three. I will use them like I would a TS or BS on rollers; move them to where they are needed, where they can be moved out of the wa, etc. It would be the equivalent of an extra 6 ft of wall space. This alone will take away boxes and tool cases that are currently stacked up in front of wall cabinets.
                        Last edited by leehljp; 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Awesome Lee, thanks for the info! I do have one cabinet that is on wheels, if you look in the drawing, there is a white cabinet below a stack of yellow ones. This one is on wheels and is intended to be a mobile chest of drawers to be used when assembling projects to hold tools and hardware, either permanently or just during projects, that I haven't figured out yet. The inspiration for this came fairly recently from a post on popular woodworking. They covered a small piece on a german mobile cabinet for this very same purpose and I thought it would be an awesome addition. Just imagine an oversized tool bib that you dont have to wear!! At least in my mind, it seems that it would have tons of use.

Comment

Working...