• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I don't have a sink in my shop and could kick my butt every day for not adding one when it was under construction. Because.... the neighborhood covenants restrict the square footage of a detached workshop but do not restrict the size of a mother-in-law cottage. Strangely, a mother-in-law cottatge can be a workshop with a bathroom/sink/shower that can be outfited as a cottage at a later date. It is well worth the cost of the install to be able to have the extra square footage, and the bathroom is nice in the shop.

capncarl

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by SCBob
      When I built the garage/shop, I added a cheap plastic laundry sink and
      a 2-gallon electric hot water heater with a french drain out the back.
      Glad I did.
      A plastic type utility sink can be free standing or wall hung, and fed by a hose for cold water supply. There are hand mount manifolds for hose bibs for multiple hoses each outlet having a shutoff. The drain, as you say can be just to the outside, or french drained. All it takes is a little innovation.

Comment

• dkerfoot
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Holland, Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829

I have two shop "areas." A tiny 10'x11' shop in the basement next to the laundry room (with utility sink). My Shopsmith and most of my hand tools remain there all the time. My DC actually stays in the laundry room and I just stretch the DustRight collapsible hose into the shop when in use.

In the winter, I rotate other tools in there depending on the project. My detached garage holds the rest of my tools. No sink out there.
        Doug Kerfoot
        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Crockett
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Buffalo, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Laundry room next to the shop set up fo me. I find I use the sink there mostly to wet sponges for glue clean-up.
          Al

Comment

• worcmedic
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2012
            • Central Massachusetts

Utility Sink

My little planned 11'x12' room will barely have enough room to swing lumber in never mind a sink.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

My utility sink is only kind of in my shop. I set up the basement with a small utility room holding the hot water heater and furnace + a utility sink. The door into the utility room is from my shop garage. So it is kind of in an adjacent room. The door to the utility room also gets opened when I am using the miter saw to cut something that sticks out a long way on the right side. It is very handy for cleaning up anything messy. Like paint brushes and rollers and tools for laying ceramic tile.

Jim

Comment

• jabe
                • Apr 2006
                • Hilo, Hawaii
                • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

sink in shop

I have a 1/2 bath in my carport, comes in handy. Not really a sink but a 17 x 21 Lav on a vanity. If I need to wash something big, I have a water bib & hose right outside the 1/2 ba.

Comment

• Tom Clark
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Deming, NM
                  • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Couldn't do without it. Tiny 1/2 bath is in the shop.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...