• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Garage heater

I use an oil filled electric space heater in the shop but it can still leave a chill. Looks like I need approx 5000W heater for my ~460sf shop with 10' ceilings. My heater is only 1500W.

A large 5000W heater is $250.

https://m.northerntool.com/northernt...?itemId=173004

These smaller 1500W ones are $34.

https://m.northerntool.com/northernt...ductName=false

Could I get 3 and expect to receive similar results? I can do the wiring no prob.

Paul
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

probably three will work better because you can distribute them and the heating will be much more even without having to resort to fans which will make it feel colder due to the draft.

Running those things at 5KW will cost you 60 cents per hour at 12 cents per KW-hour. Reasonable.

The links don't show any useful info for me.
    You will also need three pretty much dedicated 120V circuits to run them if they are three, 120V 1500W units.
    the 5000W unit would need 220V 30A service to be practical.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• geeoh
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2006
      • Mid Maryland
      • Delta Contractor

+1

Is this for your painting task

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by geeoh
        +1

Is this for your painting task
        It will definitely make it more bearable. I actually need to finish my daughter's dresser first but it's too cold to do any finishing. Too stinky and dusty to do it in the house.

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          It will definitely make it more bearable. I actually need to finish my daughter's dresser first but it's too cold to do any finishing. Too stinky and dusty to do it in the house.
          Well goodness...have her clean it!!

Oh, you mean the finishing would be stinky and smelly? Never mind...

earl

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by greenacres2
            Well goodness...have her clean it!!

Oh, you mean the finishing would be stinky and smelly? Never mind...

earl
            No, you had it right the first time. Little kids will do that to a house.

Comment

• Rslaugh
              • Sep 2003
              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
              • Ridgid

You'll be much happier with multiple 1500 wt units especially because the 1500's are radiant heaters vs forced hot air for the larger one. Radiant heaters are similar to the sun in that they heat surfaces not the air. Having these distributed around your shop will be much more comfortable.
              Rick
              IG: @rslaugh_photography
              A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
              And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Obviously up north where you are is distinctly different than here in Texas, but we have been hovering in the low to upper 30s here on and off for a couple of weeks mixed with plenty of rain. Kind of miserable actually, but I digress... I haven't had an opportunity to go into the shop for very long, but when I have, I haven't felt the need to have more than a long sleeve shirt on. No heater, nothing like that. The big difference? Insulation and door seals...

Now mind you, I am sure if I was working for extended periods, I would want a radiant heater out there, but that's it, just one.

In your case, I believe you shop is bigger than mine, and you are in a MUCH colder climate, I would think that with sufficient insulation, and proper door seals, you could probably be pretty toasty with a pair of oil filled radiators...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

The shop walls and ceilings are insulated and covered in OSB and drywall respectively. The garage doors are wood and are not insulated. It's going down to the 20s tonight. I'd have to wear my winter coat in there with no heat to feel slightly comfortable. I couldn't work without gloves. It's also free standing so don't have the benefit of a warm house or extra wind break.

I ordered two heaters. The problem with the oil heater is that the heat shoots straight up to the ceiling--10' up. If I wasn't standing right over it, I'd feel no heat.
                  Last edited by atgcpaul; 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                    The shop walls and ceilings are insulated and covered in OSB and drywall respectively. The garage doors are wood and are not insulated. It's going down to the 20s tonight. I'd have to wear my winter coat in there with no heat to feel slightly comfortable. I couldn't work without gloves. It's also free standing so don't have the benefit of a warm house or extra wind break.

I ordered two heaters. The problem with the oil heater is that the heat shoots straight up to the ceiling--10' up. If I wasn't standing right over it, I'd feel no heat.
                    If you can, insulate the doors. Garage doors like to act like giant heat sinks.

With my one heater, I generally can put the ambient air filter on the low setting, and move enough air to keep it cozy into the 30s. It hasn't gone much below that since I added the insulation though... I still don't even have sheet rock installed.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...