X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Shop Organization

Slowly starting to organize my shop so I can actually find things. Here's the first small step. I can still add a few more tools. I plan on adding a 2nd layer which will be hinged to it and hold more tools.

Last edited by jussi; 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Foam French fitted, very nice Jussi! I like the assortment and quality of your measuring tools.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the only problem with such a nicely fitted drawer is that its hard to buy and add new tools to the mix!
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Too pretty to actually use... :-)
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Actually it's not a drawer it hangs on the wall. But I understand your point and thought about that when going this method. For me, however, the advantages outweighed that disadvantages. Namely, locating a tool quickly, knowing what tool which is missing from the outline, and keeping everything organized. I'm sure it's not a universal solution but it worked for me and my shop. Plus with this foam, I can easily cover up a tool that I get rid of with more foam. But, honestly I doubt I'll be getting rid of any tools.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Jussi,

It looks really good, but does and IS, that foam going to hold it's shape enough to secure those tools from falling?

I would be concerned that one day I might either knock into it or the foam might loosen or degrad to a point where one or more of my "precision" tools will fall to the floor.

I prefer to keep such things in a drawer or hung from/within a wood support designed to keep them secure.

Just a thought,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

yeah it took a second and third look before i decided the pics were of a vertical holder on the wall (the electrical outlets were the deciding factor). I see some rotating clips designed to hold the items in their "nest". I too, would be worried about dropping these precision items or their falling out as I tried to get them.

Flat in a drawer appeals to me... there's not been a "general gravity failure" in my memory.

Those woodpecker squares are beautiful but expensive!
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Looks great, and a cool idea. Is the blue just painted foam, or is it a covering?

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

cwsmith: The foam is pretty stiff and holds the pieces in quite snuggly. But I did add some tabs to further secure the pieces. I still need to a few more. Specifically the smaller woodpecker square and the veritas sliding squares.

LCHIEN. I have lots more wall space than drawer space so that was the deciding factor for me. 90% of the tools are from craigslist or ebay.

cabinetman: The foam is black. It's probably some weird reflection from the camera shot.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Hey, I have two Veritas squares also! One inches and one Metric.

Is that an 18 inch Starrett? I have a 24 inch.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by leehljp
                      Hey, I have two Veritas squares also! One inches and one Metric.

Is that an 18 inch Starrett? I have a 24 inch.
                      24" actually. I got in on cragislist and there was a little rust on it but cleaned off nicely. He had it in storage for quite some time (retired machinist) and the spot on the rule where the square was tightened, left an indentation. You can see it in the pic.

I got the 2 veritas squares from a smc forum member. He would only sell them as a pair so I planned to buy both and sell one. But I found I liked having 2 for mortises. One of my favorite layout tools.

Comment

• wardprobst
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22811

Looks nice to me, I agree with the reasoning for the foam cutouts also. I do a bit of the same thing in my organ tool kit just so have a place to put tools into that I won't have to search all over them. It's amazing how tools can disappear in a pile of stuff...
                        DP
                        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...