• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

faces for vises - hardwood or softwood?

Should faces for bench vises be hardwood or softwood, and why?

Seems to me like you would want a softwood, so it would
    1. conform a little more to the object being clamped giving maximum surface area and thus maximum holding power
    2. be as soft or softer than your project so as not to mar the project wood.

The downside is that the face will be torn up more frequently and need to be replaced occassionally...better that than damaging the work pieces.

oh, here's some opinions at sawmill crk
    Just got the 10.5" Anant vise installed and need some jaws. Which is better? I've got some pine, poplar, ash and oak. Thanks!! Brian :)
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-16-2011, 01:04 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I'd use something like hard maple; it's not super hard and it or doesn't warp or splinter.

Since this is mostly a woodworking website I'm going to get pedantic. Technically it should be "hard wood" or "soft wood" because being "hardwood" or "softwood" is denoting the type of seeds and leaves the tree produces. Balsa and Basswood are "hardwood" but very soft and Long leaf pine an yew are "softwood" but are hard.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A hard wood for strength and durability, lined with leather to provide a little cushioning.
      Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Should faces for bench vises be hardwood or softwood, and why?
        What's your choice and why?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
          What's your choice and why?

you need to put on your glasses, I said

1. conform a little more to the object being clamped giving maximum surface area and thus maximum holding power

Its not my choice yet but my first guess.
          I'm interested in hearing other peoples reasoning.
          And Tom Slick is probably right, I really should have said hard wood and soft wood, referring to physical properties, not referring to the hardwood and softwood as species
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LarryG
            A hard wood for strength and durability, lined with leather to provide a little cushioning.
            Sounds like this is just what you'd want to do-or PSA sheet cork.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

you need to put on your glasses, I said

Its not my choice yet but my first guess.
              I'm interested in hearing other peoples reasoning.
              And Tom Slick is probably right, I really should have said hard wood and soft wood, referring to physical properties, not referring to the hardwood and softwood as species
              I can see just fine. Your words (boldface) aren't definitive. A specific answer would remove any speculation on my part on what you actually meant.

In theory, your #2 above would entail having ready to go many different species of faces (likely with magnetic backs) to account for which face would be as soft or softer than the species being put into the vise.

Clamps that I have that come with wood ends are usually hardwood, such as Jorgensen handscrew, and Bessey Klemmy clamps. The Besseys have hardwood jaws, but with cork faces on the contact areas.

Proper tightening in vises is similar to using clamps in general, that over tightening is unnecessary, and in excess can damage. Any wood would be softer than metal faces. Over the years, I've had better service from hardwood faces compared to softwood.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Mine are SYP... They "take one for the team" as it were... I have been pretty hard on mine and I don't see them wearing unduly... If anything, the only signs of age on them so far is the BLO is, after what, 3 years now, gaining a nice warm honey gold tone to it...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

In theory, your #2 above would entail having ready to go many different species of faces (likely with magnetic backs) to account for which face would be as soft or softer than the species being put into the vise.
                  you use a soft wood face that softer than the the ones you usually use. Why would you need "many different species"? you don't need a whole series of faces, just one as soft or softer than the softest wood you expect to use.

Clamps that I have that come with wood ends are usually hardwood, such as Jorgensen handscrew, and Bessey Klemmy clamps. The Besseys have hardwood jaws, but with cork faces on the contact areas.

clamps with permanent non-sacrificial faces and one-piece bodies you would make harder than for one that has replaceable faces. For the simple reasons that the body has to be strong enough to apply cantilevered clamping forces and you can't replace the faces if they wear. Klemmy clamps with separate faces that are cork leans toward the soft face approach.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

you use a soft wood face that softer than the the ones you usually use. Why would you need "many different species"? you don't need a whole series of faces, just one as soft or softer than the softest wood you expect to use.
                    I'm just reflecting on your statement. How would you know if your softest wood would ever be Balsa?

clamps with permanent non-sacrificial faces and one-piece bodies you would make harder than for one that has replaceable faces. For the simple reasons that the body has to be strong enough to apply cantilevered clamping forces and you can't replace the faces if they wear. Klemmy clamps with separate faces that are cork leans toward the soft face approach.
                    That just stands to reason. I've replaced faces on both Jorgensen hand screws and Klemmy clamps. When these wood clamps are used regularly the faces do get damaged. So, as far as "permanent" face surfaces, the surfaces can be rabbeted and new wood glued in place. You could take a Jorgy with Maple jaws and rabbet a section and add any wood species for a new face.

But the real issue (this thread) is what wood for vise faces. I use both (soft and hardwoods), but IMO, it doesn't really matter if the clamping is done sensibly.

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

I believe the question is mostly theoretical. I used poplar and oak on my vises - both worked fine. In fact - nobody said faces must be made of the same wood. You can make one face oak and one face poplar. It will look ugly but will still be functional. In short - look in your cut off bin and decide based on what you find there. If you also want it to look pretty - that would be a different discussion.
                      Alex V

Comment

• tommyt654
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008

If'n it were me I would simply make both and drill a appropriate sized hole for a magnet or two and simply stick them to the face of the vise as a simple solution

Comment

Working...