X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman71
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008

Hot!!!!

Hey people, what do you use to cool your shop?.

My shop is my two car garage and I park my vehicles in it so cooling the garage all day is not an option. I had considered an AC unit but didn't think that would be very efficient trying to catch up after the heat has built up. I had thought about a swamp cooler but was concerned about adding the extra moisture in the air. Over the years I have just not been very active when the heat of summer hits and this really bites.

Any suggestions?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I use a portable unit A/C and use it on demand... The operation is simple, Open the garage doors, turn on the overhead air filter, blow the hot air out, close the doors, turn on the A/C, go inside and post to BT3Central for about 30 minutes, go out to the cool shop and work...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jeepman71
      Established Member
      • Nov 2008

Thanks for the reply, I will give this a try. Might get too wrapped up in BT#Central and forget to go to work.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Well, first things first. Insulate to the best of your ability, then add AC, I am doing it backwards and it can be an expensive proposition..
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sailor55330
          Established Member
          • Jan 2010

I've been thinking about retro-insulating my garage, not because my shop is there (basement--67F year round), but because in the winter the gararge is at 0F.

I was thinking about cutting about a 4" strip of drywall out near the top and blowing in insulation between each stud, then patching the drywall but I dont' have any experience with this. Something is telling me the pressure build up would make the insulation not settle very well. I do have insulated doors which help a lot. If you don't have an insulated garage door, I remember people getting ridgid foam insulation and cutting panels to fit the inside of the garage door. It helped quite a bit.

Comment

• jeepman71
            Established Member
            • Nov 2008

Thanks dbhost, I have most of the garage insulated. I have one exterior wall that is not but I am dragging my feet on that one because there is a lot of storage space between the studs. The cost to heat it is suprisingly small.

That is how I insulated the wall that are finished in my garage. It works quite well. A friend's family owned an isulation business and in a nut shell that is how it is done with blown insulation, drill a hole in the wall, blow in the insulation and plug the hole.

jeepman71

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

I don't have any cooling in my shop. I just wait for sundown or a cooler day.

Won't be out there this week!

g.
              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
              Bill & Ted

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • On the TARDIS
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by gsmittle

g.
                That's about it up here too. Seeing as our winters feel like they last so long, it doesn't often get too hot to work in the shop.
                From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Santa Clarita Len
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Santa Clarita Calif.
                  • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

Nothing, .........I enjoy the heat!

Comment

• Dolsie
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sailor55330
                    I've been thinking about retro-insulating my garage, not because my shop is there (basement--67F year round), but because in the winter the gararge is at 0F.

I was thinking about cutting about a 4" strip of drywall out near the top and blowing in insulation between each stud, then patching the drywall but I dont' have any experience with this. Something is telling me the pressure build up would make the insulation not settle very well. I do have insulated doors which help a lot. If you don't have an insulated garage door, I remember people getting ridgid foam insulation and cutting panels to fit the inside of the garage door. It helped quite a bit.
                    Drill a hole at the bottom of the wall to deal the pressure build up (advice the home depot guy gave me - take it for what it's worth); I've been planning the same operation. I am planning to replace the top strip with wood though; will give me a solid place to screw/nail to all around the top.

Comment

• jeepman71
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by gsmittle

g.
                      That is kind of my problem, I really enjoy summer but like to be able to play in the garage. It's all good, enjoy it while you can.

jeepman

Comment

• jeepman71
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2008

I think I have much bigger problems than a hot garage. I just realized I posted this post in Bargain Alerts.

Must be time for a fishing pole, cooler full of cold stuff and a shade tree.

jeepman71

Comment

• ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I'm in the 'well insulated and window A/C' camp. I bought the A/C unit a couple of years ago at the end of summer sale at Wal-Mart for about $79. Only run it as-needed except for the past week. It's been in the upper 90's and feeling like 110* and I'm in the middle of a project so I run it 24/7 but on a lower setting at night.
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Month: 7
                            Lat: 29.785N
                            Long: -95.719W
                            Temperature: 100°F
                            Electric Bill: $331.20
                            Indoor Temperature 75°F: - Priceless
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jeepman71
                              I think I have much bigger problems than a hot garage. I just realized I posted this post in Bargain Alerts.

jeepman71
                              Moved it for you!

I have the magic stick. No thanks required, all part of the BT3Central service.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...