• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Some progress on shop...

Since my shop is really nothing more than a collection of junk in my attached garage with leftover construction materials from years ago, I have decided to make it into more of a dedicated shop. I really dislike wasting so much time and effort in the shop just setting up to do a project. Especially in the summer when its blazing hot...

Upgrades:

New lighting, (9) 4' 2 lamp t8 fixtures with full spectrum daylight lamps
    New 100a subpanel
    New lumber rack
    New (3) 110v and (3) 220v circuits with multiple outlets

Future ideas/items: a/c for shop?? floor paint or epoxy, air cleaner

Some pictures:

Before

After - still messy lol

I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Very nice, though it looks like you need a NCM wire clam for the lines coming into the panel on the left. Also, from what I understand, you should have very little of the jacket exposed in the inside of the panel. It should be cut to about 1/4"-1/2" of the entrance of the box.

Otherwise, nice and clean. That's a huge panel!

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Having proper power sure is nice isn't it? The lighting is good too. With some organization and storage you could turn that into a very nice shop space.

If it were me, A/C would be the next expendature.
      Erik

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

That looks great. Okay it looks messy too, but great... I am prepping, seems like constantly, to do just that same job. Hopefully your walls are insulated so that you can get A/C in there and not spend a fortune.

I am really liking those lighting fixtures. How much did they set you back? Mine are regular Shop Light fixtures, and I would REALLY have preferred diffusers over the tubes.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Good eye BigguyZ! The nm that comes into that hole has a push-in thats rated for 2 12-2nm cables, the clam style is only ul rated for 1, that is why I did that. I was a little worried about the one line that I left the jacket long, the reason I did that was because it was from the main panel and if I ever return it over to the main to have only shop items in the sub, I will need the sheathing on. I didn't think it was a major issue, do you? Thanks for the comments , I try to be meticulous with my wiring, especially the folding in boxes, pet peeve about people using drywall like a lever to force outlets into a box :P The subpanel is a Square D 32 slot 125a which I got for a steal at ~$110

Erik, its really tempting right now!! The shop when closed up is never more than about 84, I have an insulated garage door but the west wall is cmu so a split mini would be great but not for awhile, the money I put in so far was saved up for the last couple of years ...

Db, the lighting fixtures were picked up at my local elect. supply house for $24 each and the light they put out is great, no flicker and my cheapo radio works with no hum so a def. thumbs up. The bulbs are these http://www.1000bulbs.com/search/?q=+...rchButton.y=14 I got them in march, but they are now $60 more expensive for some reason , you may find a better value elsewhere.

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Good eye BigguyZ! The nm that comes into that hole has a push-in thats rated for 2 12-2nm cables, the clam style is only ul rated for 1, that is why I did that. I was a little worried about the one line that I left the jacket long, the reason I did that was because it was from the main panel and if I ever return it over to the main to have only shop items in the sub, I will need the sheathing on. I didn't think it was a major issue, do you? Thanks for the comments , I try to be meticulous with my wiring, especially the folding in boxes, pet peeve about people using drywall like a lever to force outlets into a box :P The subpanel is a Square D 32 slot 125a which I got for a steal at ~$110
            Ok, it looked to me like you didn't have any type of clamp or bushing on that, which is a no-no.

As far as the sheathing goes- I think it's fine, but I know that's not code. I don't know if you're getting it inspected or not, but if you do you may be called out on that. Though inspections are over-rated (ask Mike Holmes ).

I like the lights too- my shop currently has ones with bare tubes, but maybe I'll eventually plink down enough to replace them. Though I don't honestly know if there's any use, as I recessed the lights into "bays" in the ceiling. I don't have any pics now, but I'll send some when my work is (mostly) done.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

I'm sure it's just me, but I'm a little leery about having 110 and 220 receptacles in the same box. Perhaps they should be in two different boxes?

Or am I just paranoid and a little silly?

g.
              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
              Bill & Ted

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I might suggest using a P-touch Labeler or even a magic marker to mark your outlets with the circuit number for it (corresponding tot he circuit number on the legend in the breaker box). So in the future you can look at the outlet and tell which breaker to cut off if you need to get into the box.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-14-2011, 11:50 PM. Reason: oh i see there are two different outlets in that box!
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by gsmittle
                  I'm sure it's just me, but I'm a little leery about having 110 and 220 receptacles in the same box. Perhaps they should be in two different boxes?

Or am I just paranoid and a little silly?

g.
                  I don't see a problem. I don't think one could plug a NEMA 6-20P into a NEMA 5-20R or vice versa.
                  Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Think of it this way, your main panel has 220 and 110 in it side by side

Comment

• TCOTTLE
                      Established Member
                      • May 2009
                      • Greenbush Maine
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Looks great, good inspiration.

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                        I don't see a problem. I don't think one could plug a NEMA 6-20P into a NEMA 5-20R or vice versa.
                        OK. I am being paranoid and/or silly. It's not the first time.

g.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Valid question, not silly at all.

From the description and the photo of the panel the 110 and 220 are on seperate circuits. I think they're even dedicated circuits. No common wire in the two circuits which I think is a no-no.
                          Erik

Comment

Working...