• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by cabinetman
    At least with the roof, 'tillable soil' won't be an issue I don't think.

You haven't seen my kids rooms then

In Minnesota, every county, city, and township has to put together a comprehensive plan that states the goals and zoning has to match those goals. In Cottage Grove where we used to live, the comprehensive plan had a shopping center on the corner of every major intersection backed up against half million dollar houses ... which is why we left.

The goal here, well outside the twin cities, is that everything should be pretty much the same 100 years from now as it is today and was 100 years ago. The tillable soil requirement means there are precious few building sites left. It also allows the township to prevent a builder from turning a corn field into a house field of slapped together shacks. You can build, but you can't farm on the side of a hill. The requirements have relaxed a bit since my dad and I built this house. Back then, houses had to be a minimum of 1000' apart in addition to the tillable soil requirement. We were able to identify 4 building sites on the 160 acres they owned at the time.
    Chr's

Comment

Working...