• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Step 2 of 5 complete

Last night the Stanton township planning board approved zoning for my new garage. Next up is the full Stanton board for a zoning permit then onto the county for a building permit. Then I just have to build it and move all the non woodworking crap from my current garage to the new one.

Not sure yet if I can get an electrical permit with the state shut down so power may be an issue.
    Chr's
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
    Last night the Stanton township planning board approved zoning for my new garage. Next up is the full Stanton board for a zoning permit then onto the county for a building permit. Then I just have to build it and move all the non woodworking crap from my current garage to the new one.

Not sure yet if I can get an electrical permit with the state shut down so power may be an issue.
    Congrats. Not sure what you mean state shut down. Is there something going on in Minnesota I don't know about?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by dbhost
      Congrats. Not sure what you mean state shut down. Is there something going on in Minnesota I don't know about?
      The state government is shut down due to the budget. Both sides are blaming the other, saying that The {insert party here}'s won't budge/ negotiate/ compromise. It's sickening, either way.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Oh, I didn't know any States had gotten to that point yet... I figured California would have been first...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Can you share pics of the shop plans? How big is it going to be? Attached
          or detached? Dedicated shop or not? If dedicated shop, bathroom? That is
          a lot of groups you have to appease. Good luck with that. Sounds exciting.

Paul

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

I'll upload plans etc in the next couple of days. The new garage is just to stor a the non woodworking tools, tractor, trailer mower etc. The only extra things my current shop will share space with then will be two cars that are easy to move.

Initially it will just be a 26 x 28 x10 box with no insulation heat or plumbing. And until the politicians stop acting like spoiled children, no electricity either. I have no space to add to the existing house power so it will have it's own dedicated 200 amp service.
            Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Can you at least bring power in with a generator while the politicians figure the budget out?

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002

Step 4 of 5 complete

Well, after missing a township board meeting due to extreme heat in July, and waiting until the next one in August and sending in multiple additional information packets etc, everything is finally through all the bureaucratic steps and the building permit is finally issued as of this morning.

Now for the final step which is the part I'm actually good at ... building it. I'll post progress as it goes, but here's the very simple plan.

28' across the front and 26 feet deep.
                Chr's

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Nice!
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Redford MI.
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by twistsol
                    Well, after missing a township board meeting due to extreme heat in July, and waiting until the next one in August and sending in multiple additional information packets etc, everything is finally through all the bureaucratic steps and the building permit is finally issued as of this morning.

Now for the final step which is the part I'm actually good at ... building it. I'll post progress as it goes, but here's the very simple plan.

28' across the front and 26 feet deep.
                    The only thing I'd like to ask is why so much BS about a simple garage? In most communities sans HOA's putting in a garage on residential property with a complete and proper plan is a slam dunk. It usually does not involve the planning commission just the local building and permit office. Do you live in some sort of historic district? Those can be problematical sometimes.

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
                      The only thing I'd like to ask is why so much BS about a simple garage? In most communities sans HOA's putting in a garage on residential property with a complete and proper plan is a slam dunk. It usually does not involve the planning commission just the local building and permit office. Do you live in some sort of historic district? Those can be problematical sometimes.
                      There is no HOA, and not even a city so you'd think it would be simple. The township planning commission and full commission only meet once a month. I was in Europe in June, my wife was tending chickens in the heat in July so we hit the planning commission in July and had to wait until August for the full board meeting..

The big hangup here is preservation of crop land ... can't build on tillable soil. This means the garage is set into the hill and the foundation is part foundation, part retaining wall so 12" thick concrete walls. Since we have a private well and septic system, public health gets involved as well. As this worked through the county, each department made requests for information. Most of the time was me getting the information to them since I travel full time and I hate paperwork.

The process is exactly the same for us to get a permit to reroof the house. We did that at the same time and that project will happen next summer.
                      Chr's

Comment

• Shep
                        • Nov 2008
                        • Columbus, OH
                        • Hitachi C10FL

Talk about jumping through hoops. I don't get the tillable soil aspect, but each area is different I suppose
                        -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Kristofor
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2004
                          • Twin Cities, MN
                          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Yeah, that tillage requirement doesn't seem to apply as stringently over on this side of the cities... Stay away from lakefront, wetlands, and blufflands and they seem at least moderately pro-development.

The city I live in (all of 500 feet from unincorporated farmland) has tripled in size since the previous census, so far less tillage and fewer cows these days. Of course, tripling sounds impressive until you learn that we started with ~1200 people...

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Congrats, Twistol, good luck with the build.
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

At least with the roof, 'tillable soil' won't be an issue I don't think. Getting permits and getting timely inspections can be a PITA. Code enforcement here is very strict.

Comment

Working...