• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mclear6
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Northern NJ

wood storage 3/4" or 1"

Since I am building a new home, I am thinking of using gas pipe attached to the studs using flanges at 18" centers. I was thing of using 18" pre-threaded sections. Is there a need to use 1" black gas pipe? or will 3/4 inch do for storing wood. I was also thinking of possibly using T's and attaching a couple of the pipes to the ceiling for more support.

How much weight will a 3/4 inch pipe sticking out of the stud support?
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I am afraid it will rip out flanges well before anything will happen to the pipe. Lumber racks attached to walls usually have long standards (vertical pieces) with numeorous screws attaching them to studs.
    Alex V

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

3/4" black pipe should support a lot. Some guys have used 3/4" conduit on their racks. I don't think the black pipe would fail. The weakest part would be the connection, especially with the larger bending moment at the end of the longer 18" members.

Fastening the flanges to the narrow studs might be problematic. Maybe bolting them to a long 2x6 then screwing that into the studs running across several might work. Could just double the 2x6s and drill those at an angle and just insert the pipes.
      Erik

Comment

• Wood_workur
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Ohio
        • Ryobi bt3100-1

If you made the rack out of pipe shaped like an E or F (add in more shelves if you need) you could then strap that to the studs spaced as close as you need to keep it secure. So basically the tall edge of the "E/F" will sit against the stud and be wrapped to the stud with metal straps and those are secured to the 4" side of the stud.
        Alex

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

here's a couple of threads that might help you.

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

This forum is the place to ask questions about a project you are working on or are planning.

This forum is the place to ask questions about a project you are working on or are planning.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-21-2011, 11:05 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

I don't know how much wood you're storing, but black pipe seems like overkill to me. The rack might end up weighing more than the wood it is holding.

Are you thinking of laying the wood on the pipe itself? Wouldn't that create a possible staining problem also? Maybe enclose the pipe in something like those flimsy plastic cut open pipes they sell for making a shower bar look better? I think they're about a buck for a 5 foot piece in a dollar store.
            As they say, just my 2 cents....
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• mclear6
              Established Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Northern NJ

The studs are actually 2x6's for the exterior. There are several double studs already in place. Since the garage is not drywalled yet, I was thinking of doubling up some of the studs with some 2x4 so I would be able to lag screw all four holes of the flange into wood.

I was thinking of starting with only 2 rows and then expanding down as I need more storage.

I was also thinking of supporting the two ends with some t's linked up to the ceiling.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I fear you might find that black pipe on flanges not only majorly overkill in one direction, but with a ton of difficulties in others. The flanges will likely not be able to have more than 2 screws in a stud at a time, so there would be fairly minimal holding power. I honestly think with what you COULD do with black pipe, the flange / screw would fail long before you would have any flex issues with say even 1/2" black pipe...

There are staining concerns as well with black pipe, and of course, the method you are talking about is simply not adjustable.

You would be FAR better off with heavy duty shelf standards and 18" brackets. Watch the clearance racks. I scored a full setup last year for $25.00 at Lowes with 6' standards and 2 dozen 18" brackets. Just line it up, screw the standards to the studs using good strong screws, plop the brackets in place and load it up!
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

Originally posted by mclear6
                  Since I am building a new home, I am thinking of using gas pipe attached to the studs using flanges at 18" centers. I was thing of using 18" pre-threaded sections. Is there a need to use 1" black gas pipe? or will 3/4 inch do for storing wood. I was also thinking of possibly using T's and attaching a couple of the pipes to the ceiling for more support.

How much weight will a 3/4 inch pipe sticking out of the stud support?
                  You might think about using the Ts and extending the rack to the floor rather than the ceiling. That way the load is supported from the bottom rather than hanging from the ceiling.

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

using pipe Ts screwed to the ceiling joists with the flanges is asking for them to pull out under load.

besides they'll get in the way when you want to take lumber off the rack.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...