Recycling a kitty litter tub so that I can breathe easier.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Recycling a kitty litter tub so that I can breathe easier.

So I went ahead and built it, at least prototyped it. If this works as well as I think it will, I am going to remove the plastic door / duct tape hinge and install a mitered plywood frame for a door, a plywood door, and some cheap hardware store hinges and a latch...

This time I used white Alex Plus latex caulk because, well I had a tube open...

The frame in clamps waiting to be installed. IF I install this I will use short screws from behind, and more of that Alex Plus to seal it to the bucket. I haven't used these clamps much, but I will say that I do NOT like how slick the clamp pads are. I am considering gluing some anti skid stuff, maybe some of my old torn up router mat, to the pads to keep the dumb thing from slipping!

Make up air holes, it has been mentioned that this might not be sufficient, but I figure with no seal along the top, and none around the door, there should be enough air leakage with this to make it work. We will see!

The run of flex hose was kept short, but it's there, I wanted some flex in the line in case I somehow managed to move the saw, I didn't want to break things

Head on view. Just flip the latch, insert router, close latch, turn on DC and get busy!

It just fits the hole of the router plate insert, and I have plenty of room in here to adjust the router with no issues. My biggest concerns are...
    1. Do I have enough make up air holes provided, if not how do I do that?
    2. Do I want to bother with making it pretty by putting in a proper frame and door?
    3. If I go to the effort of the frame and door, should I also take some adhesion promoter and spray paint and at least get rid of the Fresh Step logo?

My thought process behind this, as well as other dust collection improvements and prototypes I have done lately have had a focus on recycling materials I had around the house. The kitty litter tub was aimed at the curb when I stopped it on its way out the door probably 2 years ago. I am now pretty sure I am glad I stopped it. It is by comparison to an all wood, or metal bucket, far lighter, and if I mess it up I won't cry over it...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

All I could think of looking at the pics was some poor cat jumping in the container to do its business. Gonna be **** on the impeller.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

It would have to get past the separator first!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

Cat Sucker 2.0
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Gives a whole new meaning to a litter of kitties, doesn't it?
          Last edited by BobSch; 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Shep
            • Nov 2008
            • Columbus, OH
            • Hitachi C10FL

Looks like a great idea. Let us know how it turns out. I've got a couple of those buckets and this would sure help my dust collection.
            -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I can say this much. For all the ribbing I am getting over it being a recycled cat litter tub, I am undoubtedly going to slap some paint on this thing. Probably pull it off this weekend, scuff it with a fine sanding pad, hit it with some adhesion promoter (plastic paint primer) and throw some flat white paint on the thing. Let it dry. I need to finish building the door / hinge / catch assembly and install it as well. Probably paint that too...

Comment

• coupeowner 2002
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2010
                • Portland, OR

DON"T PAINT IT!!! It's Great!!!

The ingenuity is incredible. Reminds me (fondly) of something my grandfather would put together. Bet it works just as well as the rockler version at $80. The haters/teasers are just jealous. Just wait, HF will have a knockoff version in their stores soon. Though I'm not sure how they are going to beat free - maybe throw in a flashlight?

That said, I do think a thread dedicating to naming your contraption just may be in order.

Comment

• wardprobst
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22811

Answers to the best of my ability:
                  1) If the router stays cool enough, you are good on air.
                  2) I wouldn't- it's Version 1.0. After you use it a while you'll know what you want for version 2.0.
                  3) See 2 above.

About all I can see I would do is to replace the duct tape with a strip of leather riveted to door and body. But the duct tape will work and is easy to replace.

Good work,
                  DP
                  www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

LOL... Yeah, it is hokey, and I have a few more of these... The plywood door frame is scrap ply, no loss if I don't install it... Leather strap isn't a bad idea at all... The duct tape is more uh... Rustic after all...

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

I think you ought to leave it as it is. I'm sure you've got other things to take care of rather than dressing up something that already works.
                      Erik

Comment

• wardprobst
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by dbhost
                        LOL... Yeah, it is hokey, and I have a few more of these... The plywood door frame is scrap ply, no loss if I don't install it... Leather strap isn't a bad idea at all... The duct tape is more uh... Rustic after all...
                        Well, I didn't mean a _new_ piece of leather.....
                        DP
                        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Well, I am not cutting up my old leather jacket for sure... Best I think I can come up with is to cannibalize an old shoe. I have some OLD leather tennis shoes that need to get recycled somehow, or chucked in the landfill...

Comment

• pelligrini
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Fort Worth, TX
                            • Craftsman 21829

Check around for a place that sells raw leather. I picked up a gallon sized ziplock bag of scraps for just a few bucks when I was doing my bench build. I intended on doing leather vise liners. They also make good strops, clamp pads, etc.
                            Erik

Comment

• liftoff621@hotmail.com
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Oct 2005
                              • San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA.
                              • Craftsman 22124

Here's Mine

Looks great. Sorry for the late reply. I made mine out of a plastic container from Target when my kitty litter container wouldn't fit around the big Hitachi router. I have a hole on the other side which provides air as well access to change speeds. Along with above the table dust collection, this set up works well.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...