X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Well, I tried the Kobalt wall vac and it worked better for a couple of days, but ultimately exhibited the same results as my own vac. Not unexpected, but I wanted to try it. There's nothing else for it, I need a dust collector. Will be taking the Kobalt back and basically spending the same amount for the little green 1HP HF unit.

I do really like the 2HP unit, but I would really be pushing it space wise. It would make trying to do anything fairly uncomfortable. I also may trip the breaker trying to run it off of my extension cord. If I had 30 more square feet and wired, it wouldn't be a question. At least with the little one I could try putting it up high on a wall over another tool and not take up the floor space.

As for separation, my little 5gal bucket has about had it. Keeps collapsing unless it's half full. And it won't work with a DC. So Rockler has a pretty cool plan to put one in a table-sized rolling box that could serve double duty as a tool cart. Think that's what I'll do, and not give up too very much floor space. My plastic tool boxes will have to find a new home, but those are easier to stash than a 2HP DC.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
      It IS possible, but not terribly smart...

I have a single 20 amp circuit in my shop at this time. I run a 50' 12 ga extension cord to the various tools in use, and plug the DC directly in to the circuit. I start up the DC, and let it get up to speed, THEN I start up the other tool, table saw, band saw, lathe, router or whatever, and go with it... It works, more or less, I have tripped the breaker more than once doing this... There is a HUGE reason that not many non shop related projects are getting completed these days... I am at the point now where I NEED a 60 amp sub panel to run my shop aside from lighting... 20 amps to the DC, 20 amp circuit for tool in use, and 20 amps for climate control such as heat or A/C...

You may recall that a while back I was fussing my BT was slowing down when cutting. It runs fine when it is the only thing running on the circuit. (hence the giant pile of sawdust behind the saw...)

FWIW, I have stopped doing the stupid overloading thing. I know HF doesn't call it good, but I run an extension cord to the DC from the dryer outlet in the utility room which is on a dedicated circuit. I am fine until LOML figures out what I am doing...

I do NOT recommend you do what I did, it was and remains a bad idea...
      I saw your setup on SC looking for ideas for miter saw collection, and noticed your DC being on a pedestal/shelf. With the filter, how tall is it in total? Could I run it with the bag not up to total stock height?

I wonder if I could run the DC on a 50' 12-ga cord by itself. Lately I'm running two cords (one 50' 12, another 100' 16) to run the tools and the shop vac.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...