X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

What is a good height for the planer? I hadn't really thought about needing it at a certain height, but you may have a point.

Another idea I could consider is having the pieces an inch or so shorter than the table saw, and be placed at a couple of strategic points when deployed and have a folding platform sit on top as the surface. At least that way I'd be able to store it in a smaller space.

Hard to describe.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

My planer tables ended up at about 34". I would have liked them a little bit lower, but that didn't work with my flip-top cabinet design. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39913 I really wanted to get them around 30" or so. About the hight to the middle of my palm with my arms hanging down. I found it easier and more comfortable having them at this height when moving and supporting stock going into and out of the planer. Not much lifting needed or bending over. That height also works well with my sawhorses that I stage my material for the planer on. 34" isn't too bad but I wouldn't want to make it too much higher.

I had the planer on an 18" wood box for a few times too. I was working on some pretty heavy boards too. Having it that low sure did make my back ache the next day.
      Erik

Comment

• 9johnny5
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Orange Park, FL
        • BT3100

Lovin' this thread

I'm in the holding pattern on buying a short sale house. We're going to get a great deal, and it has a 12'x12' workshop out back by the pool. It's already wired for electricity (I intend to "assist" the home inspector to ask about subpanels, foundation, etc...), so I have been following this thread with great interest. One of the space-saving ideas that I'm thinking about involves something I saw a while back in Wood Mag (I could find the issue number). It was basically mounting every bench tool (grinder, ROS, mitersaw, scrollsaw, etc) to a shelf that can stack vertically into a tall rack, yet each shelf can be removed and placed on top of a rolling cart as needed. If you PM me, I can send you a Sketchup that I've been working on to give you an idea or look up the Wood magazine issue number.

Johnny C.
        not exactly Norm...al

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

I'd have to think that would be **** on your back after awhile.

If I had room, this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen:

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

There's a few threads in here on the tool racks. I can't seem to locate them all at the moment. dbhost put several tools on some wall mounted racks.

Here's one rack that was nicely done.
            This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

I intended to do something similar and use my flip-top planer cart for the base for some of my lighter tools. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
            Erik

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Good idea, but it's not going to work for me. I just can't see myself struggling to put something away after working on it.

I think the planer cart is a go, I just have to figure out something similar for the miter saw station. I'd be a shame to waste all the time I spend working on it, especially since it was the second version.

Perhaps figure out a way to store it vertical with built-in legs...

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Okay, I'm going to go with the flip-top cart for the planer. Which axis should I pivot on? In line with the blades, or in line with the stock? There's a difference of about four inches.

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

I'd go for the axis that has the smallest turning radius. You'll be able to get a little more storage space under it. The orientation of the planer to the cart shouldn't matter too much unless it's too narrow. That would take the center of gravity up too much and it might get tippy.
                  Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I went with a fairly simple solution to stacking tools to maximize space. Simply used Rubbermaid heavy duty shelving standards and brackets, mounted everything up on plywood mount boards... I put the heavy stuff toward the middle so I don't have to lift it or lower it very far. The planer is the heaviest, followed by the jointer, then the sander and finally the grinder.

It works well for me, and I have some back trouble. I am not sure how long this will work, but it works for now.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Made some progress on the planer cart.

I went with 1/2" steel rod, which actually spec'd out at 5/8". Not sure if I'm going to band the top with hardwood, but I certainly have that option down the road. I'm completely making this up as I go along, but I decided to use Ash on the sides as a vertical support to help keep the sides from bowing. Have no idea if it's going to work or not. Next time I get in the shop I'll be marking the highest point where I could put a shelf - this should help tremendously with stability. I might go out there to find the whole thing in pieces, but I hope not.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Also, I'll say that I really am impressed with the casters at HF. I went with these:

Mostly because they were on sale, and cheaper than the others and had better load ratings. Smooth as silk, and I'll be getting another set for the planer, as I used the first set on the drill press cart.

You can see the beginnings of the planer cart sitting on top of the DP cart. That's done, minus making a drawer and banding the edges. With a piece of 3/4" ply on top of it, it makes for a very nice outfeed table for the saw. I'm going to attempt to have the planer cart match the height while the planer is stowed, AND have the planer outfeed wing match the height of the drill press cart.

Putting the casters on the carts have made my work tables too short, and the next version of those are going to be higher to accommodate both carts. It's something that's not entirely unwanted - the tables are a bit too low for comfortable work, and it will give me more room for storage underneath the other one. Haven't decided if it's going to be a couple of Tom Caspar's benches modified for height, or just another couple of these cheap $20 benches.

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Looking good.

The thing that really added stability to my flip top cabinet was the back. I made it as high as I could yet still have adequate clearance for the rotation of my planer.
                          Erik

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

Good call. I'll see if I can incorporate that, maybe make the bottom a drawer as well.

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

I planed on a drawer too, I just haven't gotten around to making it.
                              Erik

Comment

• Pappy
                                The Full Monte
                                • Dec 2002
                                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                                • BT3000 (x2)

The problem with cheaper casters is not in the wheel axles/bearings. Where you run into problems is in the swivel. Low end casters have a single row of bearings, usually loose spaced, and will bind up when you try to steer them. Better made casters have a double row of bearings to keep the swivel plates parallel and hold up better over time.
                                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                                Fools because they have to say something.
                                Plato

Comment

Working...