• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

220 wiring or extension wiring question.....need help

ok, the only thing that i have that runs on 220 is my grizzly bandsaw.

i currently have 220 in my larger garage, however, the one car garage does not have 220, which is my ww shop.

so i have two options to do the wiring. i do not use my bandsaw that often. wiring layout out wise, the two garages are on opposite sides of the house (floor plan is like the letter G).
    1. run a 220 through the attic into the smaller garage. so i will have to run approx 130 ft of wiring for this to happen.
    2. the 2nd option is to run an extension cord from one garage to the other garage when i use the band saw and that would be like 25ft. however, i will have to wire 220 from one side to the other side of the two car garage.

so what option should i go with and what size wire. if option 2 makes more sense then what wire size do i need?

thanks in advance!
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

third option:

unless you have more than a 1.5 HP bandsaw, which I doubt, it would be most economical to rewire the bandsaw for 115V rather than try and get 220 to the new workshop garage. I'm assuming you have 115 service to run the table saw and other machinery that you WON'T be running at the same time, so that total current draw is not an issue.

It should not be hard to do, Grizzly technical support should be able to tell you how to do it. You may also need to put a new plug on the saw.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-22-2010, 10:31 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

220 wiring...

Why not check with Grizzly and see if that saw motor can be changed to 115v
      or what the cost would be for a replacement motor that runs on 115V?
      I bet that changing that motor would be somewhat cheaper than having a new
      circuit wired from the other location to where the saw is being used now.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • BT3100

dang! that was a much simpler choice. i will check it out tomorrow. i think it can be rewired to 110. thanks!!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • BT3100

here is the file that i found online that shows the rewiring (see attachments). i called friday but couldnt get to speak to anyone who was helpful.

now the question that i have is this all that i have to do?
          secondly, why cant i just use a normal plug?

thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	at plug wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	785247

Click image for larger version

Name:	at motor 110 wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	785248

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

It is usually a pretty simple change over for a voltage change. There might be a diagram under the motor plate where the cord feeds in.
            The reason for the l5-30 plug is because it is designed to carry 30 amps current. A common house hold plug is good for 15 or 20 which brings up another possible problem. I doubt your garage is wired for 30 amps, probably 20. Check the saw label to see how much current it draws at 110 volts or 220 which will be half the 110 load.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • BT3100

Originally posted by Daryl
              It is usually a pretty simple change over for a voltage change. There might be a diagram under the motor plate where the cord feeds in.
              The reason for the l5-30 plug is because it is designed to carry 30 amps current. A common house hold plug is good for 15 or 20 which brings up another possible problem. I doubt your garage is wired for 30 amps, probably 20. Check the saw label to see how much current it draws at 110 volts or 220 which will be half the 110 load.
              thanks for the heads up on that. it is 30Amps at 110 and 15Amps at 220.

so now i need to see if my 110v is that, i dont think it will be. i will check the breaker tomorrow in the day time.

now if it isnt, option 2 is simpler to do than option 1. the cost for either option is the same. the ext. cord and its ends are expensive.

does you think the ext cord idea has any negatives?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I did not know what model you had but it looks like you were looking at the G0513 instructions. That is a 2 HP saw... in my earlier post I said if its less than 1.5 HP...

If you really have a G0513 then its rated for 20A at 115V
                so it should really be used on a circuit providing about 24A which allows for 80% loading of the circuit. The next step up from 20A is 30A breakers and plus so that's why they recommended that one (the locking plug being mroe common than the non-locking in sizes greater than 20A.

I suppose you could take a chance on running it off a 20A circuit - its not likely that you will be running a steady 20A unless you do long, deep resaws. If it tripped the breaker often then you decide on 220 wiring at that point.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-25-2010, 01:49 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • BT3100

i just checked the machine and it clearly states:

Voltage: 220\110
                  Amp: 10\20
                  date: 2004

the manual that i downloaded for this model states 15amps for 220, but 30amps for 110.

now what do i believe? rewiring the motor is the cheapest way for me -- no cost

------

Edit: i just saw your post. yes it is the G0513. i should have mentioned that. ok, i see the 80% rule, so that means i have to change that circuit to a 30amp.

so can i just change out the breaker and can the regular 110 wiring take the 30amp current?
                  Last edited by footprintsinconc; 04-25-2010, 01:31 AM. Reason: saw lorings post

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                    i just checked the machine and it clearly states:

Voltage: 220\110
                    Amp: 10\20
                    date: 2004

the manual that i downloaded for this model states 15amps for 220, but 30amps for 110.

now what do i believe? rewiring the motor is the cheapest way for me -- no cost

------

Edit: i just saw your post. yes it is the G0513. i should have mentioned that. ok, i see the 80% rule, so that means i have to change that circuit to a 30amp.

so can i just change out the breaker and can the regular 110 wiring take the 30amp current?
                    That would be a No-no, changing out the breaker to 30A but leaving 20A wiring in place. the breaker is designed to protect overcurrent but now you could haveovercurrnet but not trip the breaker since the wire is rated only for 20A. You could try and run the saw with a 20A breaker. I don't think you'll have trouble since most woodworking tasks you won't be running near 20A continuously.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • BT3100

thanks loring. can i do a 25 SO or an ordinary 12-3 extension cord for 220v for lets say 25ft just to stay safe? what would be the max length i can take the 12-3 wire (50ft)? or should i be going to 10-3 extension cord for the longer run?

Comment

• reddog552
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2006
                        • Belleville Il.
                        • Bt3000

30 amp circut

You must use #10 gage wire for a 30 amp circut. if it is over a 100 ft long U must change to # 8 gage wire.
                        The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                          thanks loring. can i do a 25 SO or an ordinary 12-3 extension cord for 220v for lets say 25ft just to stay safe? what would be the max length i can take the 12-3 wire (50ft)? or should i be going to 10-3 extension cord for the longer run?
                          A 12-3 I think would be fine at 220V 15A max and 25 feet.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

At the risk of throwing a monkey wrench in the works, I think some more thought should go into this.

If your shop has only one 115v circuit you might want to think about installing a sub-panel there. Run 220v to the sub-panel, then a few circuits could be distributed in the shop. I'd think you'd want a circuit for lights, at least one 115v circuit for tools, plus the 220v.

I know this an order of complexity higher than previously discussed, but it is the right way to go, IMHO.

JR
                            JR

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by JR
                              At the risk of throwing a monkey wrench in the works, I think some more thought should go into this.

If your shop has only one 115v circuit you might want to think about installing a sub-panel there. Run 220v to the sub-panel, then a few circuits could be distributed in the shop. I'd think you'd want a circuit for lights, at least one 115v circuit for tools, plus the 220v.

I know this an order of complexity higher than previously discussed, but it is the right way to go, IMHO.

JR
                              JR, you are right about that. if i was still working here, then i would do that because i would be living in the house for sure. since i am not working and looking for a job, i may end up moving. in the mean time, i just want to get by spending as little as possible and not having to move the band saw back to the bigger garage to use. it a pain to move it. we cant leave it in the garage because it gets too tight getting the cars in.

Comment

Working...